Towson Mens' Basketball In Black At Home

leopard88

I was watching the Towson-William & Mary game yesterday and, after a few possessions, realized Towson was wearing black uniforms even though it was the home team. I'm not sure if Towson has done that before or if yesterday was the first time.

I e-mailed a friend who played soccer at Towson and follows Towson sports closely to see if he knew the reason for wearing black, but haven't heard back from him.

Two questions --

1. Does anyone else know why Towson was wearing black?

2. Are there any other college teams that ever wear their dark uniforms at home?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

It was a "Black Out" promotion for senior day. To be honest, it was a little half-assed. All we did was wear the black jerseys. This is the first time the men's team has worn the black at home in at least two seasons, probably much longer. The women's team has worn black twice at home already, and will again today for their senior day as well.

Arkansas State has worn both its red and black uniforms at home quite a bit over the last few seasons.

Here's the one I can't figure out. Oakland 'blacked-out' against Cleveland St. Black vs. dark green...

maxresdefault.jpg

That's just plain no good. I generally support teams wearing dark colors against each other (within reason of course), but this is just awful.

It was a "Black Out" promotion for senior day. To be honest, it was a little half-assed. All we did was wear the black jerseys. This is the first time the men's team has worn the black at home in at least two seasons, probably much longer. The women's team has worn black twice at home already, and will again today for their senior day as well.

Thanks. It was a little confusing when I first turned on the game because I wasn't paying close attention. I kept getting the teams mixed up when I glanced at the screen.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I want to say I remember Illinois wearing orange at home for an entire regular season one year. Would say it was in the early 2000s.

I think it was the 2004 season where it seemed like they wore them every home game up until the Wisconsin game that it ended up being red/orange and impossible to tell the teams apart on TV. They toned it down a bit since them. I'd guess they've worn them about 5 or 6 times at home this year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I seem to remember Illinois wearing orange at home against Indiana at least once. I guess IU's crimson is dark enough to not cause much issue.

I saw the other day Wichita State's women wore pink at home (I'm assuming for breast cancer awareness), and they were playing Illinois State (I think), who were in their red jerseys. Didn't look very good. If you're gonna wear pink at home, do it against someone who doesn't wear red.

But I digress...

Archived