2015 NHL All Star Game - Update #3 (6/20)

OhioSportsMan61

Hi All,

As some of you may know, I have been working on an NHL redesign in another thread. I am halfway through that project (and facing a little bit of a creative block), so I figured I would take a short break from creating jersey concepts and work on something else. I have every intention of finishing my CCM project over the course of the next few weeks, so don't worry, more will be posted over there.

I have had this idea lingering in my head for a while now and I finally got around to making it come to life. Personally, I am not a big fan of the logo the NHL decided to stick with for the ASG in Columbus for 2015. The lockout season was the perfect chance for them to scrap it and create another one, but they decided against it. So I am dedicating this thread to refining the main logo, wordmarks/secondary marks, as well as new uniforms. There will be three parts to this miniseries, 1. Main Mark, 2. Secondary and Wordmarks, and 3. Uniforms.

To start everything off, here is the main mark. I will take everyone's C&C and edit it as I go before I move on to the next part (please excuse the graininess of the picture, it serves as a watermark). I took inspiration of the shape of the star and flag from a concept by Tyler Rodgers (dgnmrwrw on the boards), so credit to him for the general shape of the logo.

asglogo_zps75b89c4e.png

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

You should use shades of blue that contrast more so you can get that puck more visible, other than that i love it, the design is exactly what I could see the nhl doing except for the color issue.

Puck? Where?

tinysig.jpg

You should use shades of blue that contrast more so you can get that puck more visible, other than that i love it, the design is exactly what I could see the nhl doing except for the color issue.

Puck? Where?

The blue part of the flag turns into a flying puck. Inspired by the ASG that was in Denver in 2001.

2LYbxnm.png

Yea definitely darken that shade of blue. Even if you wanted it to be sublimated, for me i needed to move very close to the screen and get the right angle. Definitely darken it so we can completely see it or just enough that it can be visible at first glance.

So I think one of the issues with what was originally posted was that the speckle/watermark lightened the darker blue a bit. I went back and darkened it a little more, and also gave the puck more depth so that it stands out a little more. Let me know what you all think and what should be changed!

ASG15logocopy_zps727d49d7.png

2LYbxnm.png

The puck still needs to be more visible. If I just took a brief glance, I would completely miss the puck.

Also, what is the little gray spike just above the NHL badge? For whatever reason, I didn't see that before, but now it sticks out.

I'd say you're pretty well set once those are addressed.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

I'd try making the dark blue lines immediately surrounding the puck silver to give it some contrast. And just a matter of opinion, but the straightness of the stars give the feel that the flag has a sharp edge leading into the puck. I'd see about curving or fading the stars.

Really good logo otherwise though.

The puck still needs to be more visible. If I just took a brief glance, I would completely miss the puck.

Also, what is the little gray spike just above the NHL badge? For whatever reason, I didn't see that before, but now it sticks out.

I'd say you're pretty well set once those are addressed.

The gray thing is the flagpole - similar to the one that is used in the current ASG logo, so I wanted to keep it for continuity, but I can see where that might bug some people.

I'd try making the dark blue lines immediately surrounding the puck silver to give it some contrast. And just a matter of opinion, but the straightness of the stars give the feel that the flag has a sharp edge leading into the puck. I'd see about curving or fading the stars.

Really good logo otherwise though.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm working on the shape of the flag and puck a little right now, I'll post an updated version of it once it is ready

2LYbxnm.png

i'd make the darker blue into black. the blue jackets have a history of blue/black together, and the NHL shield uses black so it's already in the logo.

Alright everybody, I know you all have been waiting patiently all weekend for me to post my next update, so here it is!

I darkened the back a little, but not too much. I think that this fixes the issue of differentiating the different shades of blue. I also made the puck going into the flag more fluid, got rid of the flagpole to help with the fluidity, and also changed the shape of the outline around the puck. I fixed something that has bothered me too that I noticed, which was the general shape of the bottom half of the flag...now it is not cut off by the All Star text. As always, C&C is appreciated and welcomed!

ASG15logoUP_zps0661eae3.png

2LYbxnm.png

How dark do you suggest going then with the blue? Black doesn't go well with the color scheme/identity I am going for. Also, I think once I upload my pictures to Photobucket, it is darkening the entire picture (comparing it to the file on my desktop, it definitely is darkening the file) so this seems to have an effect on it. I will get another draft of it up for people to see, but if you have any suggestions as to what hue/pantone number to use that would be appreciated.

2LYbxnm.png

Well, it's been a few days since I have been able to make any adjustments to this concept, but I finally made some time to change it a bit with the colors again. While I darkened the darker blue a bit, I also lightened the flag and highlights so that there is more contrast. C&C is always appreciated!

Logoupdate1_zps3fdd4683.png

2LYbxnm.png

Archived