Kentucky Media Deal worth $210 Million

nuordr

The new media deal (does not include television rights) with JMI Sports for the University of Kentucky is a 15-year, $210 Million deal is one of the most lucrative deal in college sports history. The deal will start in 2015 and comes with a $29.4 million signing bonus that would be used exclusively for athletics department projects, including a baseball complex and upgrades to Memorial Coliseum and Commonwealth Stadium. You can read the full story here. ESPN says that this deal is the 2nd largest deal for a University without TV rights behind the University of Alabama. The only deals larger than Alabama & Kentucky are with the University of Texas and Notre Dame, but both of those include TV rights.

spacer.png

And yet you won't give any of that money to the players.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

and comes with a $29.4 million signing bonus that would be used exclusively for athletics department projects,

... don't want any of those greedy electrical engineers to get their hands on the money!

Seriously. The school, coaches, etc are making millions that they would never see if not for the players, but if you give a player a bag of skittles then people are up in arms about players being greedy and not caring about school or their amateur status. There is absolutely no argument against players getting paid other than a lot of people just don't want to see young black kids be given money. I honestly think that's the underlying basis for most arguments against it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seriously. The school, coaches, etc are making millions that they would never see if not for the players, but if you give a player a bag of skittles then people are up in arms about players being greedy and not caring about school or their amateur status. There is absolutely no argument against players getting paid other than a lot of people just don't want to see young black kids be given money. I honestly think that's the underlying basis for most arguments against it.

I honestly don't think it's racism... the financial incentives are so much stronger than any prejudicial ones.

I know in football there isn't a lot of options for young kids coming out of high school, but I never understood why more American basketball players aren't taking the Brandon Jennings route and going to Europe. Especially if the NBA increases the minimum age to 21 or something forcing these kids to sit around while being exploited by these schools as basically indentured servants.

I honestly don't think it's racism... the financial incentives are so much stronger than any prejudicial ones.

I think he is talking more about the arguments some fans make as opposed to arguments the institutions & the NCAA make.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived