PHOENIX: Rebirth (Phase 1)

crashcarson15

The first phase of the PHOENIX Project is here...

1AIMPcP.jpg

When we started looking at ways to overhaul our brand, we knew that we'd have to start with our existing schools. They're a platform we have readily available to us that can win us a couple of battles in the court of public opinion.

But we want to make sure we're using the right opportunities — that's why you'll be designing special uniforms to be used for big games; #MACtion appearances, conference title games, or maybe an appearance in the College Football Playoff. We want to make a statement when our schools are on the biggest stage.

Since these are the schools we've been with, we don't want to handcuff you guys too much. Impress the schools (the Council) and the public (the Community) to receive full marks.

Phase 1 Guidelines

• Choose one of our current FBS schools: Georgia Tech, Ohio, Southern Mississippi, or Western Kentucky
  • Use our new "X" template (link at the bottom of the post) to design a full uniform set.
  • Create two jersey sets — one with a dark jersey, the other with a light one.
  • However, only use ONE helmet for both jerseys.

Major Competition Guidelines

• Do NOT identify your work. Save the file as "1_[username]_[light or dark depending upon jersey].[extension]" in either .gif, .jpg, or .png file format.
  • Do NOT alter the background of the template — only adjust what is inside the lines.
  • When complete, e-mail your submissions to ccslccompetitioncouncil@gmail.com
  • Only use existing school logos — do not create your own. However, recoloring of logos and the use of "throwback" logos are allowed.
  • If you have questions specific to your entry that could give it away, ask me in a PM and I will answer it in this thread without divulging your identity. If you have general questions, ask them in the thread.
  • Remember, do NOT divulge the designer for any of the submissions — doing so will disqualify you.
  • A full list of the Guidelines can be found HERE.

Entries are due in Thursday, December 11 at 11:59 PM EST. Don't miss the deadline!

DOWNLOAD THE PHOENIX TEMPLATE (AI, SVG, PDF, PSD, PNG/Paint Versions) HERE

Best of luck to everyone — we're really excited to get this going.

6fQjS3M.png

Could someone please put the tempalte on this page because it won't let me download it

On the link, click download, at the bottom of the box click "No thanks, just download the file", that will get you the file

Oh I forgot too ask are Custom Fonts okay?

I believe the rule was custom fonts are allowed, as long as they aren't exclusively used by that team.

So just to confirm we are designing a "one-off" type uniform for a current Russell school? And home/away versions much like Oregon did when they introduced Volt before the national championship game?

Are we allowed to remove the "texture" on the jersey template (or at least change the opacity)? My uniforms look absolutely hideous with the overlay.

Also, is there any chance we could extend the deadline a little bit? I know this is a very busy time for a lot of people.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

To answer a few questions...

- Custom fonts are definitely cool. The point with the fonts comment is more applicable to later stages where you'll be designing schools that aren't current Russell clients — e.g., we wouldn't want you designing an Oregon jersey for Russell by using a font that's Nike's.

- If you want to think of them as one-off jerseys, then that's cool. If you want to think of them as permanent ones, that's cool too. Depends on your point of view, I suppose.

- Got a question about the Southern Miss logo situation — feel free to use either of the three logos; the one they're dropping or either of the two new proposed ones.

- Changes to the color scheme – for this competition — are cool. But also keep in mind that it probably won't win you any points with the schools (the Council) and probably won't with this public (the Community).

- Sublimation is permitted.

- Do not zoom in on certain sections of your design to show detail on the template — once again, do not alter it. However, you may submit a certain section of detail as its own image to the Council. It will only be viewed by the Council and not the Community, however.

- Similarly, if you wish, you may submit an explanation for your design when you submit the files — it will not be available to the public, just the schools.

I'll get y'all an answer on template/texture modification and possibly extending the deadline in a bit.

6fQjS3M.png

I was using Inkscape.

The new .svg template looks much better. Thanks.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

I noticed when using Photoshop CS5 that the PSD template was in CMYK mode and not RGB mode and would not let me export to png without changing to RGB first.

To change to RGB mode, on the menu bar go to Image > Mode > and then select RGB.

I am unsure whether this will affect anyone else/other versions of photoshop but I thought I would post here anyway just in case.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

What's the expected size of the images we would be submitting?

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I noticed when using Photoshop CS5 that the PSD template was in CMYK mode and not RGB mode and would not let me export to png without changing to RGB first.

To change to RGB mode, on the menu bar go to Image > Mode > and then select RGB.

I am unsure whether this will affect anyone else/other versions of photoshop but I thought I would post here anyway just in case.

Faster way to do this: finish your work and hit CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+S -- it's 'save for web and devices', which will automatically convert it to RGB.

I do a lot of print work, so I just work in CMYK and save that way when I'm going to post digitally. Sorry for the confusion :)

A couple more questions to answer here...

- Entrants may use parts of logos in their design as elements of the jersey (e.g. the St. Louis Rams' helmet), however, they may not "cut up" logos for standalone use as a logo.

- The light jersey does not have to be white.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived