NBA Modeled After 1980's Pistons Logo

Ctatak

With rumors that the Detroit Pistons might go to a logo that is very similar to their primary that was used from 1979 to 1996, I decided to remake the entire league in this fashion. There have been a lot of rules applied to NBA teams and their primary logos that, I think, eliminates a lot of creativity. So here is my "templated" NBA using each team's first two primary colors.

Although, in the end, I found that one or two teams actually do look better with this generic basketball (anything would improve the Thunder).

NBA Divisions.png

Milwaukee, Orlando, San Antonio, & Houston are kind of hard to read due to the light colors your use for the center of the logo. I would recommend switching the colors around for those 4. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I agree that there are a few that are hard to read. I tried to stay with the same convention for all of the logos with the primary being the outer ring and the inner being the secondary. I may look at reversing some of the colors. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Ben5 said:

This is not a concept. You haven't done anything creative here. That's not to say this is a waste of time, but it doesn't belong here.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. This is a conceptual idea that if every team took the Detroit Pistons old branding. Sure it's not a 100% original idea but it is a concept.

2 hours ago, MrWonka said:

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. This is a conceptual idea that if every team took the Detroit Pistons old branding. Sure it's not a 100% original idea but it is a concept.

I'm sure I could be a lot more wrong.

2 hours ago, Ben5 said:

This is not a concept. You haven't done anything creative here. That's not to say this is a waste of time, but it doesn't belong here.

I disagree, this IS a concept. I think the title and focus of it is off a bit is all. The concept should be, re branding all NBA logos in a 1980's Pistons theme.

I am sure I am not right or not wrong?

Either way, here is a new thing, same as the old thing, but with tertiary colors. Again, they don't all work and for them to all look good, different rules would have to be applied to each which might happen in another iteration. 

NBA Divisions 3.png

Let me explain myself. The 1980s Pistons logo is not a good logo to begin with. If you didn't know what it was, it would not be your first guess that it is a basketball, because no basketball looks like that. The font is just a basic, sans-serif font. Again, nothing special. It doesn't scream "Detroit" or "Pistons" or even "basketball team". There is a reason they dropped the logo 20 years ago.

Now, you have taken the bland logo, recolored it thirty times, and changed the text. That's a low effort "concept", if you can call it that. It's fine if you want to make this for yourself. Cool, it's good to practice using vectors and rearranging things and making something colorful. It's not, however, something that you should feel the need to share with the world.

There were some comments about legibility with a few of the "logos". Instead of fixing the few problems, instead, you inserted a third color into every logo. Why? Most of them look worse now. If you are going to fix any, only fix the ones that should be improved. Don't make blanket changes just to make blanket changes.

Here is my point: do something that shows off your creativity. Make something of your own, whether it be a totally new logo, or a new uniform, or whatever. For years, "crossover" posts, like if NBA teams were football teams, were banned from here. I believe just recoloring logos is still banned. Those are low hanging fruit: they are easy to do and don't really show off and talent.

Here is an NBA idea: take a team's current look, and make it look like it is from the 1980s. Or do 1980s style uniforms for all the teams. Be creative! Step out of your comfort zone! Do something new and exciting!

I never said that this was a good logo. In fact, I really dislike it. This was more of a macro view of the NBA right now. Most teams are not going forward, they are going backwards into their history be good or bad. Either way, most are just recycling. And with new rules that include each logo must contain a basketball, might as well just make team a stupid template.

1 hour ago, Ben5 said:

Let me explain myself. The 1980s Pistons logo is not a good logo to begin with. If you didn't know what it was, it would not be your first guess that it is a basketball, because no basketball looks like that. The font is just a basic, sans-serif font. Again, nothing special. It doesn't scream "Detroit" or "Pistons" or even "basketball team". There is a reason they dropped the logo 20 years ago.

Now, you have taken the bland logo, recolored it thirty times, and changed the text. That's a low effort "concept", if you can call it that. It's fine if you want to make this for yourself. Cool, it's good to practice using vectors and rearranging things and making something colorful. It's not, however, something that you should feel the need to share with the world.

There were some comments about legibility with a few of the "logos". Instead of fixing the few problems, instead, you inserted a third color into every logo. Why? Most of them look worse now. If you are going to fix any, only fix the ones that should be improved. Don't make blanket changes just to make blanket changes.

Here is my point: do something that shows off your creativity. Make something of your own, whether it be a totally new logo, or a new uniform, or whatever. For years, "crossover" posts, like if NBA teams were football teams, were banned from here. I believe just recoloring logos is still banned. Those are low hanging fruit: they are easy to do and don't really show off and talent.

Here is an NBA idea: take a team's current look, and make it look like it is from the 1980s. Or do 1980s style uniforms for all the teams. Be creative! Step out of your comfort zone! Do something new and exciting!

I can agree with this.

Archived