New logo for Chargers, Dolphins & NFL shield "refined"?

StefOn

I think what was said about powder blue and the Chargers may be (in my best guess) what they'd be playing with. Maybe incorporating it in there somehow, although I'm not for it becoming the dominant color. I've seen some really interesting unis here using navy as dominant with baby blue and yellow as secondary. I'd be ok with that.

As far as the updated Charger shield posted, I can't remember where that was from? An anniversary, maybe. In any case, it is dynamic, but too detailed and too much yellow. However, it's a starting/inspiration point. I used it for inspiration for this old logo I drew 5 or 6 years ago.

NO, I don't think mine is the answer. Many flaws in it. Weird angles, so-so wordmark. I've just been too lazy to redo it. Just showing it to show there are directions to take with this idea.

%7Boption%7D

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the NHL's orange and black logo had been around as long as the league had been around. Difference was, the NHL's shield dated back to 1917. The NFL shield only dates back to 1960.

The NHL shield was changed in 2005. That means that the NHL decided to change a shield that had been in use for 88 years.

As of now the NFL shield has been around 47 years. If an 88 year old league logo can be changed, then so can a 47 year old one.

Yeah, but just because one league changed its shield doesn't make it okay for another to. The NFL doesn't fail at marketing like the NHL does.

Exactly.

The NFL is the best-run league in the country, in terms of building its product. The NHL is the absolute worst, hands down. Only the XFL was more ineptly handled than the NHL of the last decade.

There's nothing that the NFL can learn from the NHL except failure. Watch the NHL carefully, then do the opposite.

Again, my point was missed.

Lost in this, is that the NHL logo was a Red and White shield until 1950, and then became Black and Orange from 1951 through 2005. Not quite as long, but I get your point nonetheless.

Lost in this, is that the NHL logo was a Red and White shield until 1950, and then became Black and Orange from 1951 through 2005. Not quite as long, but I get your point nonetheless.

I always thought the red and white shield was used side by side with the orange and black one, sort of like how the silver and black shield was used with the orange an black one prior to the lockout. I had no idea it was used exclusively until 1950. Interesting. You learn something new every day.

Still, thanks PANTONE for getting what I'm trying to say. Forget which league is more successful. Look at the numbers. The NHL shield prior to 2005 had more history behind it then the NFL shield does today. When the NHL shield was changed then all other long standing league logos lost their "untouchable" status.

I always thought the red and white shield was used side by side with the orange and black one, sort of like how the silver and black shield was used with the orange an black one prior to the lockout. I had no idea it was used exclusively until 1950. Interesting. You learn something new every day.

Still, thanks PANTONE for getting what I'm trying to say. Forget which league is more successful. Look at the numbers. The NHL shield prior to 2005 had more history behind it then the NFL shield does today. When the NHL shield was changed then all other long standing league logos lost their "untouchable" status.

Now I'm not sure about the Red and White shield vs. the Black and Orange one. Maybe YOU'RE right.

Someone more versed in NHL history could probably answer this once and for all better than I can.

Now I'm not sure about the Red and White shield vs. the Black and Orange one. Maybe YOU'RE right.

Someone more versed in NHL history could probably answer this once and for all better than I can.

Anybody have a picture of this bad boy?

Anybody have a picture of this bad boy?

I use to have it as my phone's wallpaper, but I changed it months ago. I can't seem to find a pic anywhere.

Here's a quick mock-up though:

classicNHLlogo.png

Is this what you guys were looking for?

1950NHLShield.gif

Bingo.

I have been talking with a person with intricate knowledge of the situation. From what that person is hearing, Miami is revving up the old Phins logo. Personally, this would be great.

This is very bad news. There's traditional, and then there's old. Both former Dolphins logos are old.

Seriously, these are not good logos:

870.gif869.gif

They're poorly drawn, and while passable in their prime, where mercifully retired in favor of an updated mark that retains the spirit of these two marks. Now if the Dolphins feel they went in the wrong direction with the update and wanted to give it a second try, that's fine. But brining any of those logos out of retirement would be a mistake.

I have been talking with a person with intricate knowledge of the situation. From what that person is hearing, Miami is revving up the old Phins logo. Personally, this would be great.

any inside stuff on the chargers?

Sorry man, I dont have any sources close to the Chargers organization.

Is this what you guys were looking for?

1950NHLShield.gif

Bingo.

This is very bad news. There's traditional, and then there's old. Both former Dolphins logos are old.

Seriously, these are not good logos:

870.gif869.gif

They're poorly drawn, and while passable in their prime, where mercifully retired in favor of an updated mark that retains the spirit of these two marks. Now if the Dolphins feel they went in the wrong direction with the update and wanted to give it a second try, that's fine. But brining any of those logos out of retirement would be a mistake.

The one on the right is also a very poor version of the logo. An update to that logo, would be great. The main thing though is going back to the original light aqua and coral and ditch the freakin' navy.

dolphins2.png

I don't get this statement from this guys' source. The current logo is a "revved up" version of the old one. If they basically just use a different artist to redraw the same overall composition, what's the point? They'll be similar anyway. I'd love to see a whole different idea- or wait a few years until the one you have now looks dated. It doesn't yet.

In addition to the red and white one posted above, there was a red-white-blue one that was apparently used as an alt of some kind.

old_nhl_logo.gif

But lost in the discussion of alternate NHL logos is the fact that the logo replaced in 2005 was not the league's original logo. Prior to about 1935, the lettering was different, slanted rather than skewed.

And the NHL's orange and black logo had been around as long as the league had been around. Difference was, the NHL's shield dated back to 1917. The NFL shield only dates back to 1960.

The NHL shield was changed in 2005. That means that the NHL decided to change a shield that had been in use for 88 years.

As of now the NFL shield has been around 47 years. If an 88 year old league logo can be changed, then so can a 47 year old one.

Yeah, but just because one league changed its shield doesn't make it okay for another to. The NFL doesn't fail at marketing like the NHL does.

Exactly.

The NFL is the best-run league in the country, in terms of building its product. The NHL is the absolute worst, hands down. Only the XFL was more ineptly handled than the NHL of the last decade.

There's nothing that the NFL can learn from the NHL except failure. Watch the NHL carefully, then do the opposite.

I don't think your point was missed.

My reading of your post was that, since one league was willing to change its incredibly long-lived, beloved logo, then any league may well do it. The taboo has been broken. Is that an accurate summary?

In addition to the red and white one posted above, there was a red-white-blue one that was apparently used as an alt of some kind.

old_nhl_logo.gif

I think that might be my favorite NHL of all. I love the crossed sticks.

Exactly.

My reading of your post was that, since one league was willing to change its incredibly long-lived, beloved logo, then any league may well do it. The taboo has been broken. Is that an accurate summary?

Exactly. Your response, however, had more to do with why the NFL shouldn't change their logo. I wasn't necessarily saying they should, just that now that the classic NHL logo is gone they could.

It would be like if the Yankees traded in their classic marks for a cartoon Uncle Sam logo. If the Yankees did that, then the "untouchable" status for the rest of MLB's classic logos would be gone. Does that mean that the Tigers should change their look? No, it just means that they could.

Exactly. Your response, however, had more to do with why the NFL shouldn't change their logo. I wasn't necessarily saying they should, just that now that the classic NHL logo is gone they could.

It would be like if the Yankees traded in their classic marks for a cartoon Uncle Sam logo. If the Yankees did that, then the "untouchable" status for the rest of MLB's classic logos would be gone. Does that mean that the Tigers should change their look? No, it just means that they could.

I have to say that I don't really see the connection between what the NHL has already done and what the NFL could do in the future.

Frankly, I'm not sure that the NFL has ever looked to the NHL for anything, especially now. Has the NFL even noticed the change?

Archived