MLB Concept: Memphis Blues

Cola

I was wanting to practice some more in Illustrator with sports related logos and such...and I decided to create a franchise for a league. I went with the MLB. I tried to find a big city that didn't have a team that could possibly support one...I was down to Charlotte and Memphis- but I had a quick idea for Memphis so I rolled with it.

C&C appreciated.

MemphisBlues.jpg

Great concept... I'd prefer to see a Blues wordmark incorporating the treble clef on the home and the current home wordmark on the road. Also, try to use a different color besides the tan. The colors are WAY too close to the Padres.

VmWIn6B.png

I would do the Blues' colors Columbia Blue, Royal Blue, and Navy Blue. Try the logo with those colors.

BTW, the Memphis Blues name was used for two minor league franchises in Memphis, from 1968 or 1969-1973 in the Texas League (affiliated with the New York Mets) and 1974-75 in the International League.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

I think putting an actual script on the road would be a good route to take. Maybe place the Memphis script on the road and make a "Blues" script to go with the home. right now the road just looks somewhat blank. But other than that, I love everything here. The wordmarks, logos, and the home uni is brilliant (even tho I suggested a swithc of wordmarks the home still looks extremely sharp) Great job keep it up!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I would do the Blues' colors Columbia Blue, Royal Blue, and Navy Blue. Try the logo with those colors.

BTW, the Memphis Blues name was used for two minor league franchises in Memphis, from 1968 or 1969-1973 in the Texas League (affiliated with the New York Mets) and 1974-75 in the International League.

Yeah, I'd have to tend to agree that a team called the Blues should probably wear the colour blue. Although, I sorta dig the colours you have there, I would have to say that there is too heavy a correlation between the colour blue and blues music to ignore it and go with teal and neon green.

thecatch.jpg

Not very well executed at all. For someone that LOVES to complain to people about not taking their time with concepts, this is a pretty poor performance. If I looked at these uniforms I would know the team was from Memphis, but I would have no idea they were named the Blues. Try putting 'Blues' on the home Uniform. Add the color 'blue'. And come up with a better logo instead of trying to jack the Jazz old logo. Change the name too, 'Blues' has already been used for a Memphis team.

Yeah, I'd have to tend to agree that a team called the Blues should probably wear the colour blue. Although, I sorta dig the colours you have there, I would have to say that there is too heavy a correlation between the colour blue and blues music to ignore it and go with teal and neon green.

I have two different shades of blue in the set...???

I think putting an actual script on the road would be a good route to take. Maybe place the Memphis script on the road and make a "Blues" script to go with the home. right now the road just looks somewhat blank.

Yeah, I haven't garnered the skills yet to create my own fonts and wordmarks that fit a logo...I got off well on the "M" I thought. I'm going to try making some script for the B that matches...I certainly wanted to have Blues on the home and then Memphis on the road...I just couldn't get the script down for Blues- I am going to try more of a cursive for it. Thanks though, appreciate the C&C.

Not very well executed at all. For someone that LOVES to complain to people about not taking their time with concepts, this is a pretty poor performance. If I looked at these uniforms I would know the team was from Memphis, but I would have no idea they were named the Blues. Try putting 'Blues' on the home Uniform. Add the color 'blue'. And come up with a better logo instead of trying to jack the Jazz old logo. Change the name too, 'Blues' has already been used for a Memphis team.

This is all original work from sketch- I knew you wouldn't understand.

Those two blues you have don't read as 'blue', and that is the problem. One of them looks teal, and to my red/green colorblind eyes the other looks purple. Thats an easy switch, though. Problem is, I feel like having a navy and a columbia blue with a tan or a yellow infringes upon the Padres and Rays identities. I think going more in a Dallas Mavericks direction color-wise would be better. As far as your logos go: there are some very good things going on here, but they haven't been explored fully yet IMO. You just need to take what you have to another level somehow, I don't know how you can make yourself do that. I would look at some MiLB logos to see how to put good ideas together. You have some good ideas, but they are not all working together in a single "primary logo" yet. I think MiLB logos could show you how to put together multiple "cool" parts into one great logo that really works. Off the top of my head, you might wanna peak at the Corpus Christi Hooks, Lakeland Flying Tigers, Casper Ghosts, and maybe the Syracuse Chiefs. I dunno, just an idea.

Those two blues you have don't read as 'blue', and that is the problem. One of them looks teal, and to my red/green colorblind eyes the other looks purple.

I'm starting to think both my monitors must be off or something...the colors should be a Navy Blue, a Teal Blue, and a Sand/Yellow color.

I'm starting to think both my monitors must be off or something...the colors should be a Navy Blue, a Teal Blue, and a Sand/Yellow color.

You do have those colors but the shades of the teal and yellow are pretty nasty with the navy.

Edit: I think this would be a nice palette

pallette.png

You do have those colors but the shades of the teal and yellow are pretty nasty with the navy.

Edit: I think this would be a nice palette

pallette.png

Hmm...I actually like that a lot...I am gonna try it out. I also am going to try and develop a script for the Blues as well as perfect that "MB" logo- it is bugging me for some reason, especially the B- I don't think I did a good job in vector tracing it.

Archived