CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

Jostens has done this before. If you look at the Broncos '98, Falcons NFC '98, Rams '99, Titans AFC '99, Ravens '00, and Patriots '01 rings they are all the same design as well. The ring itself has the same design template but the face of the rings change slightly. It's happened with other rings too! That specific design is just one example and it's not limited to the NFL. One of the Colorado Avalanche rings used it and so did quite a few NCAA teams.

I don't know why Jostens does this but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Most of those rings look really good. Even if they are the same design.

Jostens has done this before. If you look at the Broncos '98, Falcons NFC '98, Rams '99, Titans AFC '99, Ravens '00, and Patriots '01 rings they are all the same design as well. The ring itself has the same design template but the face of the rings change slightly. It's happened with other rings too! That specific design is just one example and it's not limited to the NFL. One of the Colorado Avalanche rings used it and so did quite a few NCAA teams.

I don't know why Jostens does this but I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing. Most of those rings look really good. Even if they are the same design.

I think cost. It cost money to have people design a ring from scratch, so if you have one ready to go it saves time and money. And at the end of the day most players who receive these rings don't want them because it's the losers ring.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers

I have to say, the best ring designs were by small Canadian company called Intergold. Th owner was an actual jeweler and personally designed all the rings. He got his big break by doing the 1999 FSU ring and based on that they got the Redwings 2002 and the company took off from there. If you look at their rings from there, 2002 Florida Marlins ring, 2003 Tampa;s Stanley cup ring are in my opinion amongst the top 5 destines of all time. Last ring they did was the 2009 Penguins Stanley cup ring which was later on copied by Jostens for the Bruins and Blackhawks Stanley cup rings.

He was of the opinion that Jostens and Balfour were not jewelers, they were tool and dye makers and once they found the template they liked they kept producing the same rings, as you guys mentioned here, all the early 2000 SB rings and all the mid 2000 conference championship rings. Despite producing NHL, NBA and MLB rings however intergold could never get a Superbowl ring and eventually could not keep up with costs associated with producing the rings which are mostly not money makers for companies but great for advertising and bringing in customers for their other products. In 2002 Jostens bought Intergold and made the owner its Master Jeweler who has been since in charge of making the rings. He is the one pushing the rings to 90+ grams and has produced some nice rings, such as the Mavericks NBA ring, Blackahwks rings, Miami Heat rings, Cardinals rings.

I am glad to see Tiffany involved in making rings now, although I think their rings are too small but they have had some great designs.

RNHL04LIGHTNING-2.jpgRNHL02REDWINGS-2.jpg

2014 Harvard Ivy League ring

Bql2vimCMAAvjV1.jpg

This Harvard ring is great because of the crimson shield, but overall this ring design has been repeated the last few years. If you look at things like many of you have already said, Jostens finds a template they like and use it repetitively.

I have to say, the best ring designs were by small Canadian company called Intergold. Th owner was an actual jeweler and personally designed all the rings. He got his big break by doing the 1999 FSU ring and based on that they got the Redwings 2002 and the company took off from there. If you look at their rings from there, 2002 Florida Marlins ring, 2003 Tampa;s Stanley cup ring are in my opinion amongst the top 5 destines of all time. Last ring they did was the 2009 Penguins Stanley cup ring which was later on copied by Jostens for the Bruins and Blackhawks Stanley cup rings.

He was of the opinion that Jostens and Balfour were not jewelers, they were tool and dye makers and once they found the template they liked they kept producing the same rings, as you guys mentioned here, all the early 2000 SB rings and all the mid 2000 conference championship rings. Despite producing NHL, NBA and MLB rings however intergold could never get a Superbowl ring and eventually could not keep up with costs associated with producing the rings which are mostly not money makers for companies but great for advertising and bringing in customers for their other products. In 2002 Jostens bought Intergold and made the owner its Master Jeweler who has been since in charge of making the rings. He is the one pushing the rings to 90+ grams and has produced some nice rings, such as the Mavericks NBA ring, Blackahwks rings, Miami Heat rings, Cardinals rings.

I am glad to see Tiffany involved in making rings now, although I think their rings are too small but they have had some great designs.

RNHL04LIGHTNING-2.jpgRNHL02REDWINGS-2.jpg

Wow, Dralec, great story and shows your amazing knowledge.

I bet he was involved in designing and making the Ravens most recent super bowl ring. That ring is absolutely an amazing and gorgeous ring! I love the Red Wings rings - having red stones really makes it pop!

I am glad you guys like the information, major typo I had, Jostens bought Intergold in 2010, not 2002.

2002 is the year they took off by making the 2002 Redwings ring. Based on the Redwings ring, 2002 Angles World Series ring, 1999 FSU ring and all the Grey Cup rings they had done in Canada, they were able to get the 2003 Marlins ring. Owner of Marlins, Jeffrey Lauria is an art dealer, he did not just want just any world series ring, he wanted "the mother of all rings", a piece of art, he did not want just another generic ring by Balfour or Jostens who were the biggest ring makers and Tiffany at that time had no interest in producing what Lauria wanted as they had only done the 1992 Toronto ring as a favor to the owner and in 1993 when Toronto won again, they just made the same identical ring. At the time Tiffany did not have a championship ring division and had no interest in committing the time and energy to what Lauria wanted. Due to cost of of the rings, Lauria also wanted different versions of the rings made so they ended up with 5 different ring tiers which up to that time was not done either. It took weeks for Lauria and Intergold to finalize the design which included weekly trips and making many samples for him. The final A ring then became the largest, the heaviest and the most expensive rings ever produced event to this time. The eye of the Marlin in a rare teal diamond that was obtained in Israel and is only found on A rings, the other versions have a synthetic colored diamonds. Towards the end Lauria also wanted a watch added to the ring, which Intergold was able to do about a year later and as far as I know there are only 5 rings available like that, worn by Lauria and 4 more he gave to certain team executives. 2003 Stanley cup ring also helped the reputation of the company, having again produced a unique ring with blue diamonds (they could not find enough stones, so some of the diamond were colored through a special process, but they are all genuine diamondsm they also made 6 different ring tiers).

Although Intergold was able to make championship rings on yearly basis but they just could not compete with Balfour and Jostens as far as cost of rings, as they had to pay more for diamond and gold due to doing less volume. In 2008 and 2009 they had to bring in Balfour as partner to do the Celtics NBA rings and Penguins Stanley cup rings. Balfour could provide Intergold with gold and diamond they needed for rings, for much less cost than what Intergold had to pay.

As teams do not pay for the rings upfront, they only pay once all the rings are delivered. So essentially for 5-6 moths company has to buy the gold and diamond upfront and make the rings on their own dime till after rings were actually delivered, that is not something Intergold could do long term.

Jostens also under new ownership in 2009 decided to revamp their championship division and instead of it being a nest loss aspect of their business to find a way to actually make money on the rings. That is when they approached Intergold and convince its owner to sell the company and then take over the jewelery design side of the business as Master Jeweler which he did. Since then Jostens has made more unique rings compared to all the previous years.

I will have some more on Pat Riley and Jostens rings later on today.

First Dallas Mavericks A ring I have seen for sale, and of course it is PSA/DNA certified so who could argue with that! lol'

Picture next to either a C or D ring, both are on sale on ebay. Mavericks had 7 different tier of rings, including the "Friend and Family" ring.

63968_10205024896524942_2286081929243148

I've always thought that a Steelers championship ring should consist simply of the Steelers helmet logo; a circle, filled with nothing but appropriately colored stones (grey outline, gold/red/blue hypocycloids, the rest diamonds). No "World Champions," "Pittsburgh Steelers," no 6 or 7 stones being larger than the others. A "logo ring," commemorating the championship on the shanks alone.

nav-logo.png

No no I can't afford to be in the ring game. I was just curious because some of these stanley cup rings far exceed Super Bowl rings in recent years. 2002 & 2008 Redwings, both Blackhawks rings, Bruins ring, and penguins ring are just some examples. Only recent rings I don't care for too much are the Kings two rings, but other than that I feel the NHL has the NFL beat in recent years

No no I can't afford to be in the ring game. I was just curious because some of these stanley cup rings far exceed Super Bowl rings in recent years. 2002 & 2008 Redwings, both Blackhawks rings, Bruins ring, and penguins ring are just some examples. Only recent rings I don't care for too much are the Kings two rings, but other than that I feel the NHL has the NFL beat in recent years

I'm not sure that the NHL has the NFL beat. It would be interesting to photograph the best Red Wings ring (which is absolutely gorgeous next to the Patriots or Ravens last ring. The NFL rings may be a lot bigger.

Although Hockey is no where near as popular as football, it's harder to get hockey rings. There are 24 players on the team and I guess they typically call up another 10 - 15 throughout the season? Football has 50-something plus more coaches, practice squad, guys in I/R, etc. So the hockey rings are rarer.