CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

The 2003 Miami Marlins World Series ring.

As ugly today as it was when it was issued.

Years ago, I was chatting it up with a scout for the Braves who was wearing his '95 WS ring. As we talked rings, he said that his friends on the Marlins' staff didn't wear their 2003 ring because it was so unwieldy. I guess bigger is not always better.

I was surprised to see former MLB player Gene Tenace selling few of his WS rings. This guy had some amazing WS championship rings.

He won 3 rings with Oakland A's as a player from 1972-74, another with St. Louis in 1982.

He wins 2 rings as first base coach with Toronto Blue Jays.

He goes back to St. Louis as a coach and gets another WS ring in 2006 and a 2004 NL ring.

Total of 7 WS rings and one NL ring with 3 different clubs.

Unfortunately he has severe arthritis in his hands and more often than not he can not wear the rings, also he is selling his rings in various auctions, I don't know why. He was one of those guys who always wore one of his rings. He was in the big leagues for 40+ years as a player and coach, he does not look like someone who would have had a lavish life style and lost all his money. Last I had heard, he was retired, living in a small town in Oregon by choice, who knows....maybe he gave it to charity instead of bunch of rings sitting in a box somewhere never seeing the light of day....hope all is well with him.

I was surprised to see former MLB player Gene Tenace selling few of his WS rings. This guy had some amazing WS championship rings.

He won 3 rings with Oakland A's as a player from 1972-74, another with St. Louis in 1982.

He wins 2 rings as first base coach with Toronto Blue Jays.

He goes back to St. Louis as a coach and gets another WS ring in 2006 and a 2004 NL ring.

Total of 7 WS rings and one NL ring with 3 different clubs.

Unfortunately he has severe arthritis in his hands and more often than not he can not wear the rings, also he is selling his rings in various auctions, I don't know why. He was one of those guys who always wore one of his rings. He was in the big leagues for 40+ years as a player and coach, he does not look like someone who would have had a lavish life style and lost all his money. Last I had heard, he was retired, living in a small town in Oregon by choice, who knows....maybe he gave it to charity instead of bunch of rings sitting in a box somewhere never seeing the light of day....hope all is well with him.

He's estate planning. If he dies, his heirs would have to have the rings appraised, and depending on the overall size of his estate could be taxed on them. If he sells them himself and keeps things liquid (e.g., putting the cash in a safe somewhere), he bears any tax liability from sale income (as opposed to incurring liability from the inheritance and the sale), and he can tell his heirs "When I die, that money is at X."

some are replica super bowl rings from China, some are minor league, some are college rings. anything of value is kept at a bank vault.

I've had thoughts about doing this myself (i.e., buying Chinese replicas of my Raider rings), but the quality of the reproduction has always seemed pretty spotty (not that I expect perfection). How have yours compared generally?

nav-logo.png

I have five of the Chinese replicas. Overall I'd say they are pretty good. There are definitely some differences and the size of the rings may be off, but overall they are good pieces to display for guests, family, or even just to collect. I'm happy with mine and plan on getting a few more in the future. WARNING if you get one of the gold rings that uses brass as a base metal then prepare for your ring to bleed through. The brass comes through the gold plating. It only takes about 6 months to a year for that to happen and some rings are worse than others. If I could post pics on here I'd show you exactly what I mean, but basically you will have a brass colored ring. I recommend paying the extra money for a solid sterling silver ring instead of white gold if you have the option

anyone have any photos showing other ways to display rings?

This is how I display my one and only ring. :D

IMG_0007.jpg

It's a fan ring my GF bought me for Christmas a couple years ago. She once asked me if I could have anything I wanted, what would it be? I told her a World Series ring. Long story short, she saw that the Cardinals were selling 2011 rings on their website and bought me one for Christmas. (Has my name on it and everything) It's not a "real" World Series ring, but I wouldn't trade it for 10 "real" rings. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to have a collection like yours - I definitely would - but this one has some serious sentimental value. And it's a real conversation starter. People ask me about it all the time and I love telling them about it. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Seeing the pics of the people wearing Super Bowl rings, I figured I'd post this picture. It's from the 2013 Ohio State Fair. Some former Buckeyes players were working a charity booth at the fair. Former Buckeye DB Donnie Evege noticed my World Series ring and asked me about it. Long story short, we ended up trying on each other's rings. I couldn't get over how huge the 2010 Big Ten Championship ring was (it's the one on my pinky.)

27b6be78-5702-4595-8211-6b9a2e0c60d5.jpg

If anyone is wondering, this is Donnie Evege. He wasn't a star player but I remember his time with the team.

DSC_0100.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

Since the 2 Big XII Teams today got snubbed in the first College Football Playoff because the Big XII did not crown a true single Championship I thought I would let you all know it wasn’t always this way. The Big XII was formed in 1996 and from 1996 to 2010 they did have a Big XII Title Game. This photo I created of these player rings that I have in my personal collection represents the Championship Rings from the first 12 years of the Big XII. After teams left the Big XII leaving the conference with only 10 schools the conference stopped with the title game in 2011, I would guess the fallout of todays news the Big XII might try to add 2 more teams in the future as this was one of the main reasons why the conference stopped having a Title Game. Or I can see the conference once again have the Big XII Title Game next year even though they would have to determine a South and North division again. Experts say with 10 teams it makes having a title game a bit tough but I would guess the Big XII offices this week will be very busy with calls from angry fans, alumni and even teams wanting answers about the future of the Big XII Conference.

10426110_875598079141224_640365749048354