NBA -- New Uniform #'s for 2009-10 season

jhans203

I've noticed a few players the past week changed their number. I wanted to start a thread for players wearing a new number for either a new or same team this season. If anybody knows the reason behind a selection please share.

Here it goes ...

fedd600d26c4b25112f5d63094eed7bf-getty-91022348jg030__sixers_media.jpg

Jason Kapono. Wore #24 with Toronto, since #24 is retired in Philly he simply multiplied his number by three (he's known for his three-point shooting.

JordanFarmarNum1.jpg

Jordan Farmar. Wore #5 since being a rookie and changed to his college number at UCLA after Ariza left.

ben-wallace-2009-10-5-21-10-12.jpg

Ben Wallace. Wore #4 with Cleveland last year and #3 with Detroit during his first stint. His old #3 is worn by Rodney Stuckey.

fe88cb9da84552295f54c23e541ff770-getty-91022348gj019_mavericksmediaday.jpg

Shawn Marion. Wore #31 with Toronto last year. Changed to #0 because Jason Terry wears #31 with Dallas.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

a420932041fe09de9de588fec36926fd-getty-91025951th006_magic_mavericks.jpg

Brandon Bass. Wore #33 with Dallas and now wears #30 with Orlando.

f86e6a14db5fc81c80a15549c0cf049c-getty-91022348bb001_houston_rockets_media_day.jpg

Tracy McGrady. Wore #1 last season and switched to #3 to help promote his Darfur project.

154892da7ffe1a8042a30fd89b5128fb-getty-88620135ab012_ron_artest.jpg

Ron Artest. Wore #96 with Houston last year, switched to #37 in honor of Michael Jackson's threshold on the #1 spot with Thriller (37 weeks).

hedo.jpg

Hedo Turkoglu. Wore #15 last year with the Magic. Chose #26 with Toronto. I guess in honor of Vince Carter?!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Here's some more ...

shaq5.jpg

Shaq wore #32 with Phoenix last year and chose his #33 he wore in college.

5c5499a648df077b3362c6028784f47e-getty-91025939ge029_partizan_nuggets.jpg

JR Smith wore #1 last year with the Nuggets and switched to #5 when he gave Chauncey #1

004c31602443c7ece927a8fe5bcfe258-getty-91022348ge017_nuggets.jpg

Wore #7 with Denver last year switched to his old #1 after JR Smith switched to #5

3788358f4f4d45fee3368b5382dfdd9d-getty-91022348ra004_nets_media_day.jpg

Wore #11 with Orlando last year. Switched to #6 with the Nets, because Brook Lopez wears #11.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Tim%20Thomas.jpg

Tim Thomas wore #2 with the Clippers and #5 with the Knicks last year. Switched to #7 with the Dallas Mavericks (No pictures yet).

ept_sports_rumors-763115703-1256217355-240x360.jpg

Jarron Collins wore #31 with the Jazz last year. Signed with Portland and wore #9 got waived in the preseason and signed with Phoenix while wearing #20. (No pictures yet).

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I find it weird that Stuckey didn't give his #3 back to Ben. Granted, Ben's career probably wont last much longer, but I fully expect the Piston's to retire Ben's #3 eventually anyway [as well as Rip's #32 and Chauncey's #1].

Maybe it's just me, but I find it weird that Stuckey didn't give his #3 back to Ben. Granted, Ben's career probably wont last much longer, but I fully expect the Piston's to retire Ben's #3 eventually anyway [as well as Rip's #32 and Chauncey's #1].

Stuckey offered to switch to #23, but Big Ben declined and chose to wear #6 from my understanding.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

_R7M6602.jpg

Martell Webster wore #8 with Portland last year (cuz he wanted to be like Kobe). He switched to #23 this year because he'd rather be like Mike than Kobe (Darius Miles previously had 23 in Portland).

I laughed to myself a little bit because I looked really quickly at this photo and it somehow looked like Micheal Jordan shooting over the defense in a Blazer's jersey. I obviously saw the different name on the back of the jersey and the fact that its a BLAZERS jersey as opposed to a BULLS jersey. But for one quick second it actually kind of looked like his shooting form and the height that he used to get over defenders...not to mention the haircut. What made me laugh was the fact that Portland passed on him....tsk tsk. Its funny to think what could have been.

Stuckey offered to switch to #23, but Big Ben declined and chose to wear #6 from my understanding.

Ah, thanks for the clue-in. Nice to hear Stuckey did at least offer #3 back to Big Ben.

Jorge Garbajosa wore #15 in Toronto after Vince Carter, but with some more years in perspective, yes, maybe the Raptors will retire his number. My poll on current players whose jersey will be 100% sure retired when they finish off their careers.

Atlanta: None

Boston: #34 Paul Pierce, Garnett, Allen & Rondo could join him but it's not easy.

Charlotte: None

Chigago: None

Cleveland: #23- Lebron James

Dallas: #41- Dirk Nowitzki

Denver: None, but Melo is going to be on that list

Detroit: #1- Chauncey Billups, #32- Richard Hamilton. Not sure about Prince or the Wallace "brothers".

Golden State: None

Houston: None

Indiana: None

Los Angeles Clippers: None

Los Angeles Lakers: #34- Shaquille O'neal, #8/#24- Kobe Bryant. I will retire both. What about Fisher? 4 NBA titles, and a very important secondary role on the team.

Memphis Grizzlies: None

Miami Heat: #3- Dwyane Wade

Milwaukee Bucks: None

Minnesota Timberwolves: #21- Kevin Garnett

New Jersey Nets: #5- Jason Kidd

New Orleans Hornets: None, but if he stays Chris Paul is very closer to lock it.

New York Knicks: None.

Oklahoma City Thunder: None.

Orlando Magic: If not a lock, Dwight Howard is not far from becoming one.

Philadelphia 76ers: #3- Allen Iverson

Phoenix Suns: #13- Steve Nash.

Portland Trail Blazers: None

Sacramento Kings: None

San Antonio Spurs: #21- Tim Duncan, #9- Tony Parker, #20- Manu Ginobili

Toronto Raptors: ¿#15- Vince Carter?

Utah Jazz: None

Washington Wizards: None

Jorge Garbajosa wore #15 in Toronto after Vince Carter, but with some more years in perspective, yes, maybe the Raptors will retire his number. My poll on current players whose jersey will be 100% sure retired when they finish off their careers.

Boston: #34 Paul Pierce, Garnett, Allen & Rondo could join him but it's not easy.

Detroit: #1- Chauncey Billups, #32- Richard Hamilton. Not sure about Prince or the Wallace "brothers".

Los Angeles Lakers: #34- Shaquille O'neal, #8/#24- Kobe Bryant. I will retire both. What about Fisher? 4 NBA titles, and a very important secondary role on the team.

New Orleans Hornets: None, but if he stays Chris Paul is very closer to lock it.

i think you are a bit to easy to retire a number. at this rate, everyone will be wearing #s 50-99 in 50 years

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

i think you are a bit to easy to retire a number. at this rate, everyone will be wearing #s 50-99 in 50 years

I don?t think so. I think he put forth an accurate assessment.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

LIST

Interesting to think about. While Yao hasn't had an incredible career, because of who he is and where he came from I'd say he is a lock. I understand that will be argued because he is always injured and hasn't won anything, but be honest. It's Yao Ming, he is a global star that is helping the league's popularity everywhere in the world, even when on the bench. Hell, without playing this season he will be an All-Star. Last I knew, Magic Johnson was the only other person to accomplish that.You can't say he hasn't had an impact on how the Rockets organization is thought about.

I'd agree that Kobe gets 8/24 retired. I can't think of a better way to do it.

As a Boston fan and KG's biggest fan, I can't see #5 or #20 being retired. He and Ray-Ray have only been here 3 seasons(2.25). Everybody wants so badly for the to reach that level of success, but the more I think about it the more I doubt it will happen. If they win this year, ask me again. The Spurs big 3 though? No question.

It is amazing what staying in one organization will do for you. Look at a guy like Grant Hill. Great player, and if he was on one team his whole career he would have a shot at it. Right now? No chance.

Archived