Turn back the clock - railroad style

mjrbaseball

This past summer, Norfolk Southern Railroad recognized its heritage by placing into service 30 new locomotives, each decked out in the livery of one of the defunct railroads that has been merged into the company that has become Norfolk Southern. Some of the designs had to be tweaked a little, because the brand-new locomotives are different in size and shape than the engines that were operating when these railroads were in existence. The 30 new locomotives started out together at NS's main railyard in Virginia, and have been placed into regular service. So if you live near a Norfolk Southern line, don't be surprised if you one day see a shiny new Wabash, Jersey Central or Lehigh Valley locomotive on the tracks.

306588_10150931113337548_1235137532_n.jpg

181383_10150821049067548_502405092_n.jpg

New Norfolk Southern locomotive in Wabash livery (right) next to an original Wabash diesel locomotive:

578340_10151052110417548_924422299_n.jpg

New Norfolk Southern locomotive in PRR livery (left) alongside an original Pennsylvania diesel:

600941_10150878372357548_1864395255_n.jpg

CK3ZP8E.jpg

That is a pretty awesome idea for Norfolk Southern.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I'm a big believer in homage to the past. Awesome idea and execution by the railroad. If I had an engineer's cap, I'd tip it to them. :D

The only depressing part is when somebody does one and it's a scheme you were around to see when it wasn't retro.

BA757retro2.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So that's what they were up to all that time!

I've run quite a few loads into NS's railyards, not to mention the facility in Roanoke where most of the freight cars are manufactured (Freightcar America, for you Blue Ridge denizens who've heard of it). Those locos look good.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This locomotive is not one of Norfolk Southern's Heritage units. It is not a replica. So it is not applicable to this discussion.

Sorry man, I had to post it!

But adding to this topic, there are some really cool designs they're bringing out. Instead of just red and blue, they have some really unique color schemes that make a train look really good and not cookie cutter. A certain baseball league could learn from Norfolk Southern.

I'm that guy, but with airliners.

And sometimes trains.

And occasionally ships.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I'm an advocate of rail transit in general (except Amtrak beyond the northeast: that ship has sailed, to mix my transit metaphors), but I can't say I care about train livery in the slightest. Which is weird, because that's the kind of unimportant stuff I'm usually all about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Stumbled across this website a while ago. Designer shows railway company logo design evolution.

To keep it more on topic: Norfolk Southern Railway (1990) is the 2nd last logo shown.

http://annyas.com/railroad-company-logo-design-evolution/

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived