gordie_delini

Ooh, that's a tough one. I think it'd have to be any of the uniforms I got to actually put in design time on, be that my high school rivalry uniform, or some of the upcoming stuff I've done. I've got one design for 2013 I'm very excited about that I got to concept from start to finish. But yeah of the 2012 ones, my high school uni was one of the coolest ones I got to do, since that was my concept from start to finish, and to see my design on the field was super cool.

OD_Signature.jpg

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned to me in PM about the vast number of design groups, sub-design groups, so on and so on. With 3,000+ posts here, you can certainly see dividing lines in taste from members here, on subjects like Grey facemasks, Modern vs. Traditional, the heavy use of black:

Among the designers you've had the pleasure of working with, are they're dividing lines in opinions there as well? Is it a melting pot of creativity, or is there a tone or culture there of "Let's produce top notch design for our customers"? Do guys there seem to be just as much of enthusiast as you and I?

How long does it take from the day the NFL calls and says make team X new uniforms to the day they are approved and finished? How many times during the design process are actual jerseys,pants,and helmets made? What will be your favorite NFL uniforms next year? Thanks for answering our questions!

Clif: Well, every designer comes from a different background and has different opinions on designs. One thing we've all agreed upon is that we want to do the coolest designs we can dream up, and our common goal is to create designs that our clients are 100% thrilled by. We want them to be fired up about what we show them, so yeah, in a sense it's all about producing top-notch designs. We've got guys who have traditional agency backgrounds, as well as former athletes who are doing this stuff, and we all have become big fans of the sport and of the teams we work with. It's kind of inevitable.

TSHARE: Every team process is different. One team could be one round of design, another could be 10 or more. So it depends on the team, the owners, and our creative staff to get the design right. During the process, actual jerseys/pants/helmets are made usually only one or two times. It's rare for them to be made more than once. Typically it is done only after a design has been approved and finalized. Can't talk about next year yet ;)

OD_Signature.jpg

Coheed: THAT I can do! In fact, you can check out the entire design on my website: http://briangundell.com/Pittsburgh-Central-Catholic-Rivalry-Uniform

I'm proud of this design because it was *truly* my design from start to finish. I designed all the elements of the uniform; numbers, sleeve/pant pattern, neck patch, helmet decal (which went unused), did all the renderings, schematics, and presentation as well. It was the first time I got to do that, so it was really a challenge to create something Nike-worthy as well as to work within all of the production parameters. I think the design turned out really well and it looked great on-field. I got to keep one of the uniforms for myself as well, which is hanging in my closet right now, and I'll eventually get it framed.

OD_Signature.jpg

Coheed: THAT I can do! In fact, you can check out the entire design on my website: http://briangundell....Rivalry-Uniform

I'm proud of this design because it was *truly* my design from start to finish. I designed all the elements of the uniform; numbers, sleeve/pant pattern, neck patch, helmet decal (which went unused), did all the renderings, schematics, and presentation as well. It was the first time I got to do that, so it was really a challenge to create something Nike-worthy as well as to work within all of the production parameters. I think the design turned out really well and it looked great on-field. I got to keep one of the uniforms for myself as well, which is hanging in my closet right now, and I'll eventually get it framed.

Kudos for a great design. Keep that framed artwork locked up tight, Russel might come calling, soon. I kid, I kid. :P

Very cool! I really like the Celtic knotwork on the shoulders and pants.

Any reason why they decided not to use the helmet decal you put together for them?

EDIT: And just as a side note, shame on Wyoming for not updating their brand with what you came up with. That's some good stuff.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

mattb6: When you mean fonts, are you talking about the numbers we put on jerseys? If so, those are almost exclusively custom designed now, and are not fonts. As for prototypes, like I've said before, these are almost always done for finalized approved designs. Either way they are put into our archives for storage/reference.

OD_Signature.jpg

I remember Nike football tweeting those. I really liked those good job!

I have a question. A local high school apparently won a contest to have Nike designed uniforms, and they wore some special uniforms but I never saw like a press release or one of those mockups from Nike, just a new set. Would you have any info or a website that has all the Nike high school rivalry uniforms? It was San Benito high school btw.

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU: Both baselayers for Army and Navy (and Ohio State) will be available for retail if memory serves correctly.

shaydre1019: As far as I know, Nike doesn't do as much marketing for high school rivalry as they do for college. I didn't get any of that info myself, so no idea.

mattb6: Ask away! If you don't want to clog up the thread, PM me.

OD_Signature.jpg

It is a damn shame your school did not/could not use those horns you developed. They would really have made the whole set complete.

This may be a dumb question, but how well do the other designers you've worked with know these boards? If they do come, do they lurk or post, like you?

And for the Concepts boards here, they really are all over the place in terms of being good, not so good, wild, or conservative. If they ever do look, I hope they enjoy themselves.

rtrich11: the designers I've worked with aren't too familiar with these boards in particular, other than myself. But I'd let them know what was happening on here. That's right, all your complaints, praises, worries, and concepts are being noticed, at least in part. We really pay attention to Paul Lukas, but he gets on our nerves. I don't know anyone else from Nike that's on these forums in particular, but that doesn't mean they're not out there. As far as the concepts go, we tend to be amused by them, since a lot of them are so very amateur and they don't understand what we're trying to accomplish nor do they know the schools/teams all that well in some cases. I don't think there will ever be a case of a concept being posted and then us using that design, it's just not something that happens. Our designers take a ton of pride in the work they do, and they strive to do original work. Hopefully that doesn't come off as smug, it's just the nature of the beast, ya know?

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived