gordie_delini

(Snipped)

Questions?

After skimming through the thread, I have a questions or two about the recent Utah State redesign; it's one of the Nike re-designs that appears to be universally liked around these threads, mainly because it respects the tradition of USU football while adding some modern elements. Charlie Denson, the president of Nike Brand, is a Utah State alum and helped in starting in the redesign process.

My questions mainly involve the patterning on the helmet and numbers.

USU+Helmet.jpg

UtahStateUniform1.jpg

With the studying Nike does, would you be able to tell me about this patterning? Is there any meaning behind it? I don't recall seeing you saying that you worked in USU's athletic redesign, but that design intrigues me; it reminds me of some kind of taking a logarithmic spiral and filling in corresponding corner-touching regions:

caustic-rays-log.gif

IMO if this is the case, it's fitting, as that I'd argue that Utah State is the primary science/engineering school in Utah. I could also see that pattern as agricultural fields viewed from a weird angle. Of course, there might not be much of any meaning behind it, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, the shade of gray USU has almost comes across as being the shade of the concrete at Romney Stadium, almost being a form of sand:

993201.jpg

stadium.jpg

Would you know if this is the case?

And finally, Riddell has mini-helmets, but they can't replicate the blue-helmet pattern and only the white helmets are available. I wouldn't know for sure, but does Nike do mini-helmets? Would you know if and where I could find a blue mini-helmet? Just thought I'd ask.

All right, that's 3 questions, but it's close. :P

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey mods. You guys supposedly pay attention to the boards. Why not pin this thread and unpin that cheap attempt at self-promotion How to Engage Sportslogos.net thread. The latter's been virtually dead for over 2 months now.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Here's my question. Was this intricate process really what happened with Georgia's Pro Combat uniforms?

Because all of Nike's "justifications" for the design were aimless and awful

I seem to recall stories back then about Richt shooting down any interesting or remotely creative idea.

I'm not seeing what's wrong with that. The fact that Georgia wore a Pro Combat uniform in the first place is a bad idea.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So does Nike really have a two drink policy for lunch? How is it working at Nike? I'd be interested in working there at some point perhaps, however on the other side of the coin. It seems to be a fantastic place to work.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

is there anything nike can do about players wearing their pants above their knees?

starting next year the nfl will require players to wear pads under the pants but i don't see that stopping them from pulling the pants above their knees.

I do have a couple of question, and I don't mean to sound like an ass asking these, but I like to know individual's opinion on stuff... not just an overal stock answer from the company.

1. Is there anything in the works to fix the monstrosity that is the NFL collars? I was excited to hear Nike was taking over the NFL, but the collar is embarassing. Obviously, it is completely oversized, but the lack of uniqueness is discouraging. I get its the style of the uniform, but there are 3 options (outside of the Patriots and Packers): collar the same color as the jersey, the collar a contrasting color, or the back half of the colar being a contrasting color with the pointed panel.

2. The "flywire" on the front of the collar - What is the benfit/reason for this... or is it as completely convoluted as a think? It seems a bit bush league to have that on an NFL uniform, especially with teams like the Bears, Packers, Browns, etc. who has such classic and clean uniforms. I get Nike wants to add some progress to even classic uniforms, but like the rest of the colar, it really cheapens the look.

3. Just having the standard NFL shield on the front of the collar is perfect. But it seems a bit over sized, like the rest of the car wreck that is the collar.

4. Having the Nike logon on each sleeve... is that something the NFL mandates or is it a Nike directive? Although it doesn't look bad, the Nike logo on the front of the jersey (how you guys have in college) looks a lot cleaner.

5. Who's idea was it to truncate the side panel of the pants? Also, who's idea was it to stop the pants stripes in the college uniforms at this truncation? Do you agree or disagree that it is a poor design?

6. Not sure if this was answered or not... I only read the first 5 pages of the thread... but what is the deal with the NFL uniforms and certain panels collecting all the sweat? Is that another gimick or is that by design? Are there any efforts to prevent such a drastic color change (See: Detroit Lions, Thanksgiving Day)?

Believe me, I am a Nike guy. From highschool and college uniforms when I played, to my every day house clothes, and my golf clothes/equipment... I am a Nike guy. Thank you for all the insight and quick responses.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The sleeve logo thing is the NFL's rule; that's the only place they let manufacturers place their logo.

1. Is there anything in the works to fix the monstrosity that is the NFL collars? I was excited to hear Nike was taking over the NFL, but the collar is embarassing. Obviously, it is completely oversized, but the lack of uniqueness is discouraging.

That's a feature, not a bug. Nike wants them to look like that.

But I was more interested in the knee pads, since that was eliminate the bicycle-shorts look.

Not necessarily. I am envisioning guys wearing the knee pads at the end of their pants, but still having their pants end above the knees. That is, unless they actual start enforcing pant length, which I doubt.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I see players wearing their pants at the correct length with knee pads in for next year. The only way I don't see that happening is if players get custom knee pads that are flat or smaller than normal. Knee pads are pretty uncomfortable if their anywhere except where they're supposed to be.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Hey mods. You guys supposedly pay attention to the boards. Why not pin this thread and unpin that cheap attempt at self-promotion How to Engage Sportslogos.net thread. The latter's been virtually dead for over 2 months now.

Why do you have such a problem with sportslogos.net news being touted on sportslogos.net? This is not the first mention you've made of it.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

1. Is there anything in the works to fix the monstrosity that is the NFL collars? I was excited to hear Nike was taking over the NFL, but the collar is embarassing. Obviously, it is completely oversized, but the lack of uniqueness is discouraging.

That's what I think, too. Its free publicity. Every time a TV talking head mentions how odd the collar looks, it starts a three minute conversation in which the term "flywire" come up over and over.

Why do you have such a problem with sportslogos.net news being touted on sportslogos.net? This is not the first mention you've made of it.

The bolded part. Regardless of the topic, I don't like seeing dead threads of any topic pinned whilst informative and active threads (such as the one we're currently in) avoid being treated with the priority they've earned. This thread has already proven itself to be a go-to thread for NIKE football FAQs and my concern is that if the mods don't treat it with a higher level of importance it will:

1. Die out

2. We'll have people asking the same unnecessary questions next season preseason OFFSEASON that we inevitably and understandably ask every year.

TL; DR: I would just like to see active FAQ threads be given higher priority over inactive threads, regardless of their topic.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Interesting thread, and lots of cool info here.

Checked Gordie's site he linked earlier--some real nice work there, as well as the stuff gordie's posted here.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

That's what I think, too. Its free publicity. Every time a TV talking head mentions how odd the collar looks, it starts a three minute conversation in which the term "flywire" come up over and over.

Right, but what is the actual benefit/reason for flywire? Does it actually do anything for the uniform except make it look like a bush league/pop warner team?

And yes, the size of the collars and how terrible they look is absolutely a bug. That may be the intent, but then its a mental bug in the thought process. Its embarrassing for a professional organization to have.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I agree that it's an ugly feature, but that's exactly what it was.

What was the name for the collars on Reebok's old jerseys, again?

But who gives a :censored: what the name of the collar is? No fan is sitting in their living room on a Sunday saying "well hot damn, I need to get me some flywire! for my long sleeve t-shirt!" This is why I have been commenting on this thread: what is the point of flywire? My assumption is that Nike has some convoluted reason (similar to their "research" on some of these uniforms) as to what it does that helps make the team faster, lighter, stronger, and better, etc. etc. If they flywire served any purpose, why wouldn't it be all over the uniform?

Archived