Wellington Mara is gone.

JQK

I know i can't convey this well, but this truly is the saddest day as a Giants fan. Wellington was the NFL's last bridge to it's earliest days. He was, in my mind, the greatest owner in the NFL. A patch or helmet sticker won't do for this man. He was simply great.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Mara was the remaining link to the era when the Giants legacy was filled with the names of Simms, Morris, Bavaro and Taylor. A time when even Bostonians were rooting for the G-Men, (mainly because of Bavaro and Morris), a time of Super Bowl victories and sole tenants of a large house.

He will be missed throughout the league.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Wellington Mara, more than anyone else, made the NFL what it is today when in the early 1960s he chose to give up local TV deals that favored big-market teams (especially his own) in favor of a national contract that divided the revenue equally. The Giants could have been incredibly dominant, instead of the league as a whole growing like it has.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Whether he is or is not the greatest owner is up for debate, but it is a shame for the Mara family, Giants fans and the NFL family as a whole.

And I agree with JQK - Mara is too important for a temporary sticker. ATTENTION BROWNS FANS: Wellington Mara is the kind of man who deserves to have his initials permanently incorporated into the team's uniforms, a la George Halas (and truthfully, Dan Rooney as well in Pittsburgh). Read his bio, understand why Al Lerner is not Wellington Mara.

Condolences from Eagles Nation.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Same here.

Mara: :notworthy:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Same here.

Mara: :notworthy:

Good to see not every Philly fan is as mean as their reputation.

Class act, gentlemen. (I still hate you on Sundays.) :P

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You know he may be worthy of a permant initals on the Giants uniform he meant just as much to this league as Halas, his selfless act giving up the NY market for market sharing among all the owners allowed the NFL to become what it its today.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Whether he is or is not the greatest owner is up for debate, but it is a shame for the Mara family, Giants fans and the NFL family as a whole.

And I agree with JQK - Mara is too important for a temporary sticker. ATTENTION BROWNS FANS: Wellington Mara is the kind of man who deserves to have his initials permanently incorporated into the team's uniforms, a la George Halas (and truthfully, Dan Rooney as well in Pittsburgh). Read his bio, understand why Al Lerner is not Wellington Mara.

(1) Mara's not the greatest owner in NFL history, but he's definitely in the top five. I'm not sure you can really rank owners effectively, but even if not he's head-and-shoulders above most.

(2) I agree that Mara's the type who deserves to have his initials on the jersey. Though a Browns fan of sorts, Al Lerner isn't deserving of that, but I disagree with Dan Rooney. Art Rooney sure, but not Dan.

nav-logo.png

The league lost one of it's true gentlemen, that's for sure. Wellington Mara is what many of us would love to see out of the folks that run our teams in the NFL....wouldn't be a bad example to follow either, IMO.

He's definitely up there with Halas and Art Rooney in my book amongst NFL owners.

Sympathies from your tenants at the Meadowlands

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

And I agree with JQK - Mara is too important for a temporary sticker.  ATTENTION BROWNS FANS: Wellington Mara is the kind of man who deserves to have his initials permanently incorporated into the team's uniforms, a la George Halas (and truthfully, Dan Rooney as well in Pittsburgh).  Read his bio, understand why Al Lerner is not Wellington Mara.

(2) I agree that Mara's the type who deserves to have his initials on the jersey. Though a Browns fan of sorts, Al Lerner isn't deserving of that, but I disagree with Dan Rooney. Art Rooney sure, but not Dan.

If any Cleveland owner deserves his initials on their unis, it's "AM", Art Modell.

As for Wellington Mara, he was a great owner and great for the game. He will truly be missed.

6uXNWAo.png

And I agree with JQK - Mara is too important for a temporary sticker.  ATTENTION BROWNS FANS: Wellington Mara is the kind of man who deserves to have his initials permanently incorporated into the team's uniforms, a la George Halas (and truthfully, Dan Rooney as well in Pittsburgh).  Read his bio, understand why Al Lerner is not Wellington Mara.

If any Cleveland owner deserves his initials on their unis, it's "AM", Art Modell.

As for Wellington Mara, he was a great owner and great for the game. He will truly be missed.

Actually, the only Browns owner that deserves that honor is Paul Brown...

Art Modell can burn in the deepest levels of Hell for what he did to the good people of Cleveland.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Though a Browns fan of sorts, Al Lerner isn't deserving of that, but I disagree with Dan Rooney. Art Rooney sure, but not Dan.

My bad. I didn't realize I goofed until I was sitting at work today during an idle moment, and I felt like a schmuck. I hope you know I meant Art (Dad), and not his son. I figured someone would catch this - I don't have access at work, and didn't get home until 3 this afternoon.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived