UNC-Asheville Football

sc49erfan15

Yep, the project rolls on, for those who remember. For those who don't, here's a crash course in the previous 25 football projects for schools without football programs:

Winthrop, Vermont, Creighton, Marquette, Gonzaga, Charlotte, Seton Hall, Wichita State, George Mason, Bradley, UNC-Wilmington, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, South Alabama, Pacific, Bradley, Xavier, Loyola Marymount, St. Joseph's, DePaul, St. John's, Pepperdine, Providence, Alaska-Anchorage, Portland, and Charleston.

The idea for this one came during the Winthrop-UNC Asheville game last night. Between cursing Winthrop's lousy play (we should have throttled this team by 40...final was 61-42, but we played like shat) and gawking at UNC-Asheville's 7'7" center, Kenny George (seriously, this guy was huge...he came into the restaurant where I work on Sunday night with the rest of UNCA's team. You should have seen the look on our 4'10" hostess' face. We have a brick arch that is approximately 7'5" tall that he had to duck under...when I first saw him in the bar waiting on a table, I thought it was a guy standing on a barstool) Anyway, beside those two things, all I could think about was how nice their "A" logo would look on a football helmet. It sort of looks like an AV, which reminds me of how most states and provinces get their abbreviations, by the initial letter of the syllables...Asheville. Probably not intentional, but word. They also have a "UNCA" logo that I couldn't find anything anywhere near large enough to get a vector out of. Alright, onto the concept:

AshevilleFootball1.png

Nothing too flashy...made use of the silver and kept the black to strictly trim. Thought about making an all-blue and all-white alternate, but decided to leave it as is. Also didn't use the bulldog logo anywhere because 1) I couldn't find a decent image, much less a vector and B: It sucks. Reminds me of clipart.

To quote Forrest, "That's all I got to say about that." Comments, questions and C&C are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I drove through Asheville, NC about 3 weeks ago when I came back from Fayetteville, NC from my son's wedding. He's stationed there in the 82d Airborne.

We had lunch in Asheville at the Moose Cafe just off the hiway.

Nice place.

Go Bulldogs!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Another solid effort, Shane. However, there are a few things you could improve on. First, the gray trim on the home numbers is getting lost against the blue background because it's so dark. You might want to use the lighter gray from the bulldog logo so the trim reads better. Second, is there a reason that the "Av" logo looks backwards on the helmet design? I think it'd look better tilting towards the front of the helmet. Aside from these minor issues, you've done a good job on this one. Especially love the striping pattern on the pants.

QPR%20Sig.png

I can't say I like the logos, but that's clearly not your fault in any way. The uniforms look great...they're simple while at the same time modern enough to keep attention and flash.

My only knowlege of UNC Asheville is a disappointment. Back when Sprite or Mt. Dew hd the NCAA Tournament thing under the cap, I thought I had it won cause I saw UNC, but nevertheless, I, of course, lost.

heh, I happen to like the bulldog head, IMO it woulda made a better helmet logo than the AV thing. I've never seen that font before, it looks kinda funny. and the gray gets lost because it's so damn dark, as already pointed out...lighten that mug up, niner.

don't let the truck run over your pancakes...

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hi all, My names Daniel Roy, I've just signed up to this forum hoping i can get some constructive criticism on my work. But i thought i might check out some other works first. This one seemed to strike my attention, i like it a lot, well done. Reading some of the other replys, id have to agree that the grey socks look odd. Other that that, great logos, great jersey.

• 2 weeks later...

Rescuin' this from page 6...man I've been busy over the past week or so.

I mirrored the helmet logomdid away with the gray socks, and lightened the gray, since those three seemed to be the two most referenced problems.

AshevilleFootball2.png

Any further C&C is appreciated, as always. Thanks to those who already have.

• 2 weeks later...

Being an alum from UNCA I can honestly say that I always wanted to see UNCA football unis, but I never thought I would. Thanks for the design. A few comments...I like these on the whole, but I would change three small things.

1) I am not a huge fan of the number font (they are TOO UNCA-ish...anybody who went there would understand). The font does NOT have to be a traditional block style, but maybe something like the Carolina Hurricanes font.

2) The stripe on the pants. Too Nike-ish style. (Miami Hurricanes, VT, ect) Traditional stripes ALWAYS look better. Fat, thin, piping, more than one color, does not matter, just no arcs, curves, or sweeping stripes.

3) Stripes on the socks. Just one or two thin stripes in white or grey would look better than nothing.

Just my .02. GREAT JOB!

Being an alum from UNCA I can honestly say that I always wanted to see UNCA football unis, but I never thought I would. Thanks for the design. A few comments...I like these on the whole, but I would change three small things.

1) I am not a huge fan of the number font (they are TOO UNCA-ish...anybody who went there would understand). The font does NOT have to be a traditional block style, but maybe something like the Carolina Hurricanes font.

2) The stripe on the pants. Too Nike-ish style. (Miami Hurricanes, VT, ect) Traditional stripes ALWAYS look better. Fat, thin, piping, more than one color, does not matter, just no arcs, curves, or sweeping stripes.

3) Stripes on the socks. Just one or two thin stripes in white or grey would look better than nothing.

Just my .02. GREAT JOB!

First of all, thanks for the comment.

1) I'm not sure what you mean by "TOO UNCA-ish"...I got a font close to what they currently use on their basketball uniforms, if that helps any.

2) I'm in agreement, for the most part. Most of the time traditional stripes look better, modern stuff can look good when done tastefully. That's what I'm trying to do. If I did everything traditional, the concepts would be like a paint-by-number. That's NOT what I want. I'm trying to make everything a little bit unique in its own right. Plus, a simple, traditional set wouldn't, in my opinion, fit Asheville. You spent time there, you know it's a rather unique place. Traditional and progressive at the same time, "sort of like an Allman Brothers Band concert...rednecks meet hippies" is how I heard someone (I think, from the boards) describe it...and that's perfect. Traditional meets progressive is what I was going for.

3) I'm in agreement here...I LOVE sock stripes, take a look at some of my other concepts. But, the truth is, not many teams use them anymore. If it was my world, everyone would have sock stripes...but I'm going for a little bit realistic, as well.

Anyhow, I notice you're new...take a look around, this is a good place. Enjoy your stay, and hey, put together a couple concepts of your own. Thanks again for the comment!

If this is just your base draft I like it. I live just north of Asheville and have attended some Mars Hill games and it would be an obvious rivalry(only 10 miles apart).

I'm leaning toward the Bulldog logo. The home unis are great but I would prefer an all-white away look.

Archived