Bad news in Designer Land

Ez Street

Well after telling the people i wanted to about my Jersey design being used and securing a web domain to start a little design work, i recieved notice that the Tarantulas will not be using my design after all. I was told due to the set-up costs for doing that type of jersey it was not feasable. I am extremely dissapointed, but i understand the dynamics of costs for a Minor League team. I am still proud of the fact that i was considered. The team was excitied about the jerseys, but it just wan't in the cards.

Well back to square one..... :cry:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheapskates :evil: (no pun intended)

Well, my recollection from the early days of the revived CHL is that a team usually goes with a stock jersey for the first year or two and then once it's got a steady revenue stream they upgrade to custom uniforms. Maybe you'll get on board yet.

And did you say Chris Presson is the GM? Man, I remember when he was an intern for the OKC Blazers back in 1992-93.

That is always tough, but you definately should look at the bright side that they thought enough of your work to contact you and at least get the process started. I doubt this will be the last time you will have this kind of opportunity. Oh the world of design...it can be a tough world.

Cheapskates :evil: (no pun intended)

Well, my recollection from the early days of the revived CHL is that a team usually goes with a stock jersey for the first year or two and then once it's got a steady revenue stream they upgrade to custom uniforms. Maybe you'll get on board yet.

And did you say Chris Presson is the GM? Man, I remember when he was an intern for the OKC Blazers back in 1992-93.

Yes, usually teams do start off with stock type jerseys and then upgrade. Perhaps if we have good revenue this first season, they will want to try again.

Chris is a great GM, he has won GM of the year in the CHL 2 or 3 times. Very nice people to work with. This is his second go round in Topeka. He left the first time after the team was established and doing well to work in the UHL. Once he left the management sucked. I'm glad he is back.

No we wait and see what Stock Jersey they will go with.

That's too bad Ez Street... but take heart that you were just too creative and good for them. :)

Slowly, the word is getting out... the CCSL design community is on par with the best logo and uniform design studios in the world. If people knew they had another option... somewhere between shelling out thousands for a major studio, and putting down $20 bucks for a piece of clipart and their name in Arial Black. That day is coming, and you've helped us take another small step forward Ez.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

OH man.

That is heartbreaking news. Just wrong. I'm really sorry to hear this. I thought even the authentics in that style were printed, as opposed to cut....which you'd think would be cheaper. Shows what I know.

Regardless, it's an accomplishment and something tells me we haven't heard the end of this tale.

You know what they say about all good things....

*EDIT*** I just realize they also say all good things must come to an end. Crap. Thats not what I meant. I was referring to ......"come to those who wait".

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

that's too bad ezstreet...at least you got your foot in the door, so to speak. And as SyPhi said, the name of this community and its members is starting to make its mark and get spread around as a very viable source for logos and uniforms.

As far as teams going with stock jerseys, it must depend on the level the team is. When the Lowell LockMonsters started in 1998, the uniforms and numbers were very original (unless some other minor league team I was unaware of had een using them). The striping was screened but it looked like the striping on the LockMonster's back..curved with rounded scaly-spines. If you ever see an old picture of the team (maybe from River City) you can see what I mean. The numbers and letters were all customized...they looked like Franklin Gothic with extra spikes added at the tips of each character, and even at the start, both numbers and letters were three colors.

When the Hurricanes became the parent club, the team went to the Hurricanes template, but added purple and silver striped along with the hurricane flags.

Maybe they had money because an AHL team generally has more money than the CHL, or due to the funds provided by the AHL affiliate.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well back to square one..... :cry:

I didn't know you've been to Mississauga? :D J/K

It's a shame things didn't work out for you (I meant the jersey thing) I love that jersey. That template is better suited for that team rather than the Boston Bruins :cursing:

I saw, I came, I left.

Man i'm really interested to see what they end up using. I just don't think they can achieve a complimentary look with traditional stripes. I was tooling around last night with some NHL templates and dude it's not the same.

Man i wanted the possiblity of the team hoisting the Presidents Cup with my jerseys. Well Boston's Jerseys :D

Maybe I'm off, but didn't your design involve the Boston thirds? One of the teams in the league I play in has a recoloured version of those, they weren't that much to reproduce. Perhaps they should consider that the cost won't be in getting the jerseys in their colours, but rather in getting their extremely complex logo crest done...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Maybe I'm off, but didn't your design involve the Boston thirds? One of the teams in the league I play in has a recoloured version of those, they weren't that much to reproduce. Perhaps they should consider that the cost won't be in getting the jerseys in their colours, but rather in getting their extremely complex logo crest done...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Perhaps it's worth it to ask them whom their getting this quote from and everything.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

They must be sublimating their logo, and apparently that isn't done on a sewn jersey?

wouldn't they be able to add those stripes in the design for the sublimation?

EZ, any chance you can ask them if you could have another shot at designing for them, so maybe your design could indeed be used?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Well, DUH, it'd be a sublimated jersey. That doesn't mean the crest, numbers, and names can't be sewn-on, considering that's exactly how the Bruins have theirs done.

Granted, the team in our league got their crest, numbers, and names sublimated as well, but it's not like you're locked into sublimating the whole jersey if part of the jersey is sublimated.

(No, I've never ordered jerseys before... :D )

POTD 2013-08-22

Sublimation is a dyeing process, where the fabric is basically impregnated with colour.

There's screen-printing, which is where the colour is put down on top of the fabric.

Most NHL crests are done with a process called appliqué, a combination of embroidery stitching and twill fabric.

I know these are simplistic descriptions, but they're the best I can do. :D

POTD 2013-08-22

i e-mailed them back saying that i appericiated the chance of them using my desing. I also let them know i'm available if they need my assistance again. I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep my newly bought domain name. I doubt i'll have another tell contacting me for my designs again. I think the part that helped on this ended up being that i'm a "Local Guy". I just don't see a team from BF, Saskatchewan calling me up and saying, hey design one for us guy. Who knows.

Archived