Ticker bar at the bottom of screen

JasonFromMiami

Who do they exist ? So :censored:ing annoying, does anyone like them ?

Are you referring to scores and news going by on ESPN? (and news, etc. on cable news?)

I do. I like seeing scores of other games go by. I have my quibbles. I don't think ESPN needs an "Adrian Peterson" heading right now...the occasional "breaking news" is OK but I think non-score items should be reduced by about 80%. I like seeing the scores but feel that it needs to be sped up be eliminating stats. Saying that Dirk Nowitzki had 18 points and 11 boards makes it drag far too long. Unless some breaks a record, throws a no hitter, reaches a key milestone (like 500 HR), leave the stats off and just give the scores.

But generally, yeah, I like it even if it's not exactly how I'd operate it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Same here. Just the other day I was watching the Georgia-Georgia Tech game when the Bulldogs scored the go ahead touchdown with like 22 seconds left in the game. I remember figuring that the game was over so I switched it to another game on one of the ESPN/SEC networks. Then I saw a score alert on the bottom of the screen showing Georgia Tech had just tied it up. A "WTF?" thought popped in my head and had to switch it over to watch the Yellow Jackets win in overtime. I would have missed the end of that game if it weren't for the bottomline score alert.

I've never liked how it seems like a lot of times when I switch to Sportscenter just to see a score on the bottomline and wait and wait and wait, then finally show the score I was waiting for right when they show that game's highlights. Or even vice versa.

But it was a really revolutionary idea by the folks at ESPN. Pretty sure they had their ticker bar before any of the 24 hour news channels had one. I could be wrong though.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

If memory serves, ESPN 2 introduced the 24/7 bottom line back when it was still eSpN2. Headline News also turned their stock ticker into a sports ticker during nights and weekends.

I don't mind them during highlight shows, but I can't stand them during live games. If someone wants to check the out of town scores, they can easily do it nowadays with their Ipads and Iphones and laptops and the like. There's no need to obstruct the screen of a game I'm watching with huge ticker graphics.

ESPN doesn't dare put their ticker on their screen during Monday Night Football; I'd wish they'd do the same for Sunday Night Baseball.

Ticker bars are stupid because they can burn in or at least cause retention issues with plasma TVs. Same with network logos and that dumb ESPN side screen thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I prefer having more room on the screen for the game. I don't mind if they show scores relating to the sport and league that's playing. Otherwise it's annoying. I only seem to notice the last part of a news report on the ticker. So it always bugs me that I keep missing the beginning of the news it's talking about.

I like seeing scores from different leagues--for example, seeing how the Raptors are doing while curling is on TV.

That said, whoever thought tickers with long sentences should enter sideways is evil.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived