*FEEDBACK NEEDED* American Baseball League Resurrected

NDFreek

As some of you know, I've posted many fictional baseball teams over the years. Last year I had a league made with a history, but never got the C&C I needed. My other newest thread was the final teams hand drawn logos. I'm ready to fully resurrect my project now that it is complete.

ORIGINAL ABL: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97552-american-baseball-league-los-angeles-added/

logos1937.png

Standings (1936)

The American Baseball League
est. 1936
Formed in 1936, the ABL has established itself as one of the prime leagues in the nation, and even overseas (In a universe with no MLB, NFL, NHL, and NBA). Since it's inception in 1936 by Patrick Armstrong, the ABL has continued on it's path to treat fans to the all around best baseball entertainment.
The League is split in two conferences- The Armstrong Division, and The Gary Division. The two conferences are named after ABL legends Patrick Armstrong and Kevin Gary.
Patrick Armstrong came to America in 1911 at the age of 9. An Irish immigrant, he became infatuated with the sport of baseball. He began playing for the ABL's first team the Chicago Clippers in the inaugural season of 1936. Playing into old age as a player manager, he is considered the most decorated player in ABL history, and a shining example of what is possible to young players. Armstrong was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1944.
Kevin Gary was a quiet Southern man, living in Boston. In the year 1927, he scrapped together a semi pro baseball team with 2 friends. Together they put a team in Boston, Massachusetts. After becoming majority owner in 1936, at the age of 47, he was invited to join the ABL. Baseball Renaissance came about. Winning 10 championships in 12 years, he began taking his team around the world so spectators could see the "Greatest Team on Earth" play exhibition games vs local teams. This is one of the many reasons the ABL thrived during the Depression and World War II.
CHICAGO CLIPPERS
1930Chicago.png
The 1st team in the ABL was the Chicago Clippers. The Clippers were established in 1928 as an exhibition team, but when Armstrong and 4 other owners joined together to make an official league, he was voted ABL commissioner. Chicago takes its name from Navy Pier. At the time Navy Pier was a harbor for naval ships. Armstrong was a navy man himself, so he kept a nautical theme. The team played home games at Chicago's legendary Chicago Field.
BOSTON AMERICANS
1930BostonSet.png
Owned by co-commissioner Kevin Gary. Like all the other original teams, they were an exhibition squad prior to the ABL. Boston kept a patriotic theme due to the city's rich history involving the American Revolution.

spacer.png

Looks interesting. What era are these jerseys? Also, will this be a year-by-year type of thing, similar to Veras' football thread?

For Boston, one thing I would change is the script. I realize it's a font, but it would go a long way for you to freehand your own scripts, especially in this time period. It just looks too computer generated. Count me in on this series, though!

spacer.png

Looks interesting. What era are these jerseys? Also, will this be a year-by-year type of thing, similar to Veras' football thread?

Count me in on this series!

1930s, got the template from paradise.

As for the year by year, I'm not sure. I have team histories done. It's something I've been working on for almost a year now. Veras is doing a great job with his and i don't know if he'd be cool with me piggybacking his success. If people wanted league records, I'm sure i could whip up a few

spacer.png

I like Pittsburgh a lot, it's interesting to know what they're eventually gonna look like. Are you adding any eras in between (not necessarily on a yearly basis, only major changes), or just posting the original teams and then skipping to the present day?

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

I like Pittsburgh a lot, it's interesting to know what they're eventually gonna look like. Are you adding any eras in between (not necessarily on a yearly basis, only major changes), or just posting the original teams and then skipping to the present day?

I have eras prepared so I'll be doing that. Right now I'm in the 30's. I'll organize it more once I have all the teams from the 30's posted so I can post standings and what now

Btw, there's a twist for Pittsburgh eventually. :P

spacer.png

PENNSYLVANIA KEYSTONES

Philadelphia1930set.png

The last of the 6 original franchises. Stationed in Philadelphia, they formed a great rivalry with the Mallards. Led by First Baseman Jack Conrad, Pennsylvania would make the playoff their 1st season.

Also here is the league standings for 1936. I changed the years around a little to help make the league flow better, so the league is now established in 36 not 32. (I'm not sure how mathematically correct these might be, so if anyone knows a site that can generate standings for me, that'd be appreciated. I can't find one.)

1936standings.jpg

spacer.png

Count me in on this series!

1930s, got the template from paradise.

As for the year by year, I'm not sure. I have team histories done. It's something I've been working on for almost a year now. Veras is doing a great job with his and i don't know if he'd be cool with me piggybacking his success. If people wanted league records, I'm sure i could whip up a few

First, thanks for the shout out. If doing a year-by-year thing is what you want to do, then I wouldn't be the least bit bothered by it at all. In fact, I'd love to see it. I don't really see how that would be "piggybacking" on what I'm doing, and even if it is, I'm not sure that it would be a bad thing.

Also here is the league standings for 1936. I changed the years around a little to help make the league flow better, so the league is now established in 36 not 32. (I'm not sure how mathematically correct these might be, so if anyone knows a site that can generate standings for me, that'd be appreciated. I can't find one.)

I have considered doing baseball once my football league is complete (which will be at least two years from now, if I maintain my current pace). I have already put some thought into how to simulate the seasons using digital dice and excel. It's a lot more difficult than football due to the longer season, and the details are a bit sketchy, but I'd be happy to share the thoughts that I've had so far. PM me if you're interested.

As for C&C:

I really like what you have so far, but there are two things that I would reconsider. First, I'm not sure about the white script on New York's away jersey. I don't think there's enough difference between the grey and the white, and I think it would be very, very difficult to read.

Second, I would use a much darker green for Pittsburgh. If you look at uniforms in the depression-era, they tended to use much darker colors, and the shade of green that you have looks more like something you would see in the 1960s or later.

I'm looking forward to what's next.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

At the end of the 1936 season, Pittsburgh decided to live up to their name and introduce a duck logo. It was a huge success with fans. Fans even dubbed it the "rubber duck"

MallardsLogo.png

PittsburghMallardsSet1943.png

New York eliminates white text on away jerseys

1937NewYorkset.png

spacer.png

New York is much better with the dark text. I would leave the feet off of the duck, though. And, maybe it's just that I'm looking at it on my phone, but is the duck's outline the right shade I green? It looks much lighter than the shade in the uniform.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

Shrink the numbers on the keystone insignia. You can't fit two digits at that size. Ideally, you should always use two wide digits in a concept (25 is good for baseball) so that you can most accurately judge the size.

rATMcmK.png

Archived