NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Seems like a lot of unnecessary maneuvering when the Rams can move back to Los Angeles, obviate realignment, and save a lot of public money. The NFL sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a lot of unnecessary maneuvering when the Rams can move back to Los Angeles, obviate realignment, and save a lot of public money. The NFL sucks.

Agreed. The Rams plan is by far the easiest. It irks me that both the Chargers and Raiders only publically showed interest in Los Angeles after the Rams announced their Inglewood stadium and now "reports" are saying the stupid Carson stadium is the front runner over the Inglewood stadium.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

^ This isn't fair to any of the involved fan bases. When Mark Davis feels the least slimy because he's just kinda like "yeah, whatevs" you know it's a gross situation.

It seems there is still no telling how this will all go down.

As for what's easiest, that really depends on the stadium deals in the other cities progress. If San Diego gets theirs in order and the Raiders are able to join up with the Rams, then Rams and Raiders to LA is "easiest."

But if the San Diego plan doesn't get in a good spot and the St. Louis plan does, than the Chargers and Raiders to LA is easier. The alignment will be a simple fix. The actual stadiums seem like a more worthy concern.

Spanos may want to stay, but in that article it says he's played his cards right for a move:

"Chargers owner Dean Spanos, among the league's more respected owners, has exhibited great patience in navigating his franchise through an uncertain stadium situation in San Diego and continued to earn kudos from other ownership groups at the meeting. ... There is a certain political element to this process, in securing necessary votes for franchise relocation -- in this case a dual relocation -- and Spanos has moved expertly, sources said."

And my favorite line...

"Some in the know have speculated the Chargers, in exchange for getting the keys to LA, end up moving to the NFC, with perhaps the Cardinals going to the AFC West, which would maintain the Raiders' rivalries with the Chiefs and Broncos, for as much as that is worth."

I'm not a Chargers fan, but that would leave a weird taste in my mouth. The Chargers in the NFC just sounds wrong in so many ways. I mean, while we're at it, let's just do a whole geographical realignment...

But if the San Diego plan doesn't get in a good spot and the St. Louis plan does, than the Chargers and Raiders to LA is easier. The alignment will be a simple fix. The actual stadiums seem like a more worthy concern.

When you have an owner willing to find the entire cost himself, then stadiums aren't actually a concern at all.

I think the biggest news to come from the owner meetings in San Francisco is that LA will be a finalist for Super Bowl LIV (2020) if there is a team in Los Angeles. The only stadium that can host a Super Bowl in this time frame is the Inglewood stadium seeing as that's due to be completed in 2018 which meets the NFL requirements of having a team play at least one full season in a new stadium before that stadium can host a Super Bowl. The Carson stadium would be a year later.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Sing it with me, kids - Rules are made to be broken.

I can't see those rules stopping the NFL if that's really the time they want an LA super bowl. Those rules, like the relocation guidelines, only exist and are only enforced so long is it is convenient for the league.

Besides, "finalist" is nothing. New York was actually awarded a Super Bowl, only to have it stripped when the prerequisite stadium was scrapped.

When you have an owner willing to find the entire cost himself, then stadiums aren't actually a concern at all.

Not sure I follow you. That or you don't follow me.

What I was suggesting is that if San Diego and St. Louis both have good stadium plans (or obviously also if it's just San Diego with one), then by all means the simple thing (fair is another store, but fair isn't relevant) is to put the Rams and Raiders in LA and keep the Chargers in San Diego.

But if the San Diego plan isn't in a good spot and the St. Louis plan is, then the simplest thing is to keep the Rams in St. Louis and put the Raiders and Chargers in LA.

The only owner willing to pay for his own stadium is Kroenke in Los Angeles. And that's why that one makes sense if all else is equal. But if it's not equal, then you go to the plan that gives each team a new stadium.

No. Not unless you can convince all the owners that the new stadiums they end up with are what they want.

You'd have to demonstrate that Kroenke is willing to settle for a stadium in St. Louis after demonstrating that he's willing to pay the entire cost of a stadium in Los Angeles.

Kroenke's willingness to forego public monies in Los Angeles, and Los Angeles only, skews the entire playing field.

Oh. Well. Possibly. That's really up to the league at that point. (To the point that Kroenke won't go rogue. If he does, then all bets are off.)

But I was speaking to the league's stand point. And if the league believes the stadium in St. Louis is a good one, and they're able to control the process, then the situations I was describing make sense.

I don't see Kroenke's desire to go all-in in LA being enough to make the league satisfied with leaving either the Raiders or the Chargers without a new stadium, and that's all I'm saying. (If one of those teams current home cities—far more likely San Diego than Oakland—comes up with a strong plan and/or if St. Louis doesn't advance their plan to the verge of fruition, then what I'm saying doesn't come into play.)

Maybe you disagree, or maybe we're just arguing around each other instead of with each other. :)

The Rams are gone. It may take a court battle, but at the end of the day both the St. Louis and Inglewood plans involve Kroenke spending money, and he has clearly indicated which one he would rather spend money on. And the US judicial system isn't going to tell a billionaire he can't put his business on land he bought in a venue he paid for.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Unless you're dealing with Kate Murray and the Town of Hempstead.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Archived