My alma mater (Illinois College) is considering changing mascot and nicknames due to pressure from women

illini1

So I'm late to the conversation but what exactly is it that's being labelled as "patronizing"? The fact the women's teams are called by a different name? Someone please explain how that's patronizing because I just don't see it.

And what was a suggested solution? A non-gender-specific name? I believe Tennessee has a non-gender-specific name and they still use "Lady" in front of it. Are they patronizing too? Someone get Pat Summitt on the phone and tell her her employer was patronizing her during her storied career and she did nothing about it....

Yeah...it's a dumb argument. Can't say I'm surprised though, seeing as there's a lot of "fake feminism" going around these days.

Oh do tell about all of this fake feminism you're encountering these days. I'd love to see some good for myself.

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/#q=fake+feminism

Oh and for the record, I didn't say I was encountering it. Just that it's making the rounds.

So I guess fake feminism has replaced reverse racism as the new boogeyman for the oppressed majority to fear,

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received the email for the survey. Illinois College isn't even conducting the survey themselves. It's be conducted by 6 current students as part of a Marketing Management class. I haven't taken the survey yet, but people who have said there are several grammatical errors and misspellings. I would think if the college was really concerned about the opinions of the alumni they would have handled the survey themselves or hired a company to do it.

I don't know all of the options for new nickname yet since I haven't taken the survey, but someone who has taken it said two of the are Blue Herons and Blue Jackets.

Lady Vols is exactly the type of name that makes no d@mn sense at all. Why in 2015 is it necessary to put Lady in front of team names that are not gender-specific? What is wrong with just Vols? I see the issue with Blueboys at illinois College, but there is no reason to have Lady Bulldogs, Lady Cougars or Lady Tigers. Just use 1 name for both.

Lady Vols is exactly the type of name that makes no d@mn sense at all. Why in 2015 is it necessary to put Lady in front of team names that are not gender-specific? What is wrong with just Vols? I see the issue with Blueboys at illinois College, but there is no reason to have Lady Bulldogs, Lady Cougars or Lady Tigers. Just use 1 name for both.

I say if they want to be called Lady Vols let them have it... They been called that for I don't know how many years... I see nothing wrong with that they are worse things than being called a lady plus I have always liked that when referring to women because I think it shows them respect... What do I know though I am an old man & I do not mind people on my lawn either especially if they want to cut if for me....

Personally, I think it's time that LA Tech dropped the "Lady Techsters" moniker and had all their teams be the "Bulldogs" (they are the second-oldest school in the USA to have that as their mascot, after all).

bYhYmxh.png

A couple conservative sites discovering alliteration does not "making the rounds" constitute. :P

The women who attend and teach at the school are the ones who get to determine if they think it's patronizing. We don't get to tell them their opinions are wrong.

Gothamite is spot on here. Telling someone you disagree with them is TOTALLY off limits.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived