White Sox Chicago Flag Motif (Cubs Added)

I saw a recent Chicago flag based take on the Cubs and I thought that I would give it a chance applying to my team the Sox.

What's interesting is that the Sox actually did employ a red and sky blue color scheme in the early '70s so there is some previous stuff to base it on.

I thought about the kind of history the city has architecturally and decided that the modernist style 83 typeface worked the best. In keeping with the flag motif, I kept most forms of text red and where possible any stripes or patterns sky blue.

Home Jersey, the S-O-X and numbers actually have a white outline like the rays to distinguish them from any piping that might overlap. The two blue stripes evokes the two blue stripes on the Chicago flag. The sleeve patch features the S-O-X script inside 6-pointed stars arranged diagonally.
EEXacKd.png

Away Jersey - Consistent with the home jersey the numbers and script are red with white outline. The script is a hybrid of the block, arched script on the 50's road jersey combined with the rounded corners of the 83 primary logo.

IMtiEE5.png

Home Alternate - I think the road jersey would actually make a good alternate for home games. This would make for unique situation of a team having fewer jerseys than combinations.
3WBIiCY.pngI also toyed around with some different cap colors. Some could be potential BP caps.

JC62Grn.png

Here are some close ups of the sleeve patches.

KIpNge1.png

ziHvT8a.png

As Pedro said, sometimes you gotta know when to tip your cap and call someone daddy. And today, I bow to you. If I decide in the future to take a second stab at the MLB Rivalry series, I know one thing, even though it's not even a glint in my eye yet, I'll have to make sure my Sox effort surpasses this...because I'll tell you straight, this officially surpasses my earlier Sox effort.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

As Pedro said, sometimes you gotta know when to tip your cap and call someone daddy. And today, I bow to you. If I decide in the future to take a second stab at the MLB Rivalry series, I know one thing, even though it's not even a glint in my eye yet, I'll have to make sure my Sox effort surpasses this...because I'll tell you straight, this officially surpasses my earlier Sox effort.

WOW! Thank you for the incredible compliment. I loved that crosstown design. Actually I think your home cap design is better than mine. Than sock in the star is just beautiful. I didn't try to copy it but it must have been in the back of my mind when I did the sleeve patch.

Are these patches or is the SOX/stars combo within the sleeve stripes? I'm a little confused. If it's within the stripes I think it's a pretty awesome idea that can only work with certain teams and the White Sox would be one of them.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I was inspired by the well wishes to try my hand at a flag inspired Cubs design.

Home Uniform: Light blue pinstripes replace the Cubbie blue ones. The Crest from the 50's has been adapted with a full, double outlined circle which echoes the two blue stripes on the Chicago flag. The sleeve patch is the classic Cubbie face superimposed on a red six pointed star. Stirrups have light blue/white/red stripes to echo the pattern on the flag.

2xclL0J.png

Away Uniform: The Sox version above already has a light blue uniform so for the Cubs I went with an all Cubbie blue version. The chest script is a combination of the straight C-U-B-S the team has used in the past as well as the present alternate, using the rounded script from the 50's crest, and with a white underline evocative of older road jerseys. The underline has four red stars, each under a letter. The sleeve and pants striping has the same pattern as the stirrups to reflect the flag. Sleeve patch is the same except for the face which is now white and light blue.

iJdGENZ.png

Archived