2015 Rugby World Cup

kiwi_canadian

NBC didn't necessarily need to be the network, I just pointed it out as they show college and international 7's. At the end of the day it wasn't marketed much at all in the States. NBCSN televised one USA match that I'm aware of, a butt whoopong by Australia. It reminds me of trying to find US Soccer matches prior to 1993.

that wasnt a RWC match, but one of the tuneup matches.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NBC didn't necessarily need to be the network, I just pointed it out as they show college and international 7's. At the end of the day it wasn't marketed much at all in the States. NBCSN televised one USA match that I'm aware of, a butt whoopong by Australia. It reminds me of trying to find US Soccer matches prior to 1993.

Universal Sports parent company won the rights to both 2011 and 2015.

They may have tried to sublease rights to other cable networks, however the asking price may not have been equal to the buying price.

Universal Sports is also not rated, so there is little the thought of ad pricing is somewhat ruined, since there is no value set for minimum viewers.

that wasnt a RWC match, but one of the tuneup matches.
I was tracking that, that's why I thought they should be broadcasting matches. I'm also trying to figure out why the hosts aren't given a soft group like we see in soccer?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

England was unlucky that Wales slipped to the third pot before the draw and that they got the best team out of that pot. But you're right that in soccer the host is always drawn from the first pot (that would mean avoiding Australia), which decreases the chances of getting tough opponents.

England was unlucky that Wales slipped to the third pot before the draw and that they got the best team out of that pot. But you're right that in soccer the host is always drawn from the first pot (that would mean avoiding Australia), which decreases the chances of getting tough opponents.

I was slightly unlucky in terms of getting sorted into the 'pool of death' situation, the other 3rd seeded teams in each pool being (Japan, Georgia and Italy), but unfortunately for England, there are now 9 or 10 decent teams plating in world cups with the likes of Fiji, Samoa and Japan throwing up the odd upset now and again. If you have serious designs on winning a world cup, you should be putting away pretty average teams like Wales.

I agree that if you aim at winning the cup you should qualify for the knockout stage regardless of the oponents. I suppose the most controversial part the drawing is that it takes place in advance. Samoa, for example. was ranked 7th in the world in 2012 ahead of Wales, Scotland and Japan.

I agree that if you aim at winning the cup you should qualify for the knockout stage regardless of the oponents. I suppose the most controversial part the drawing is that it takes place in advance. Samoa, for example. was ranked 7th in the world in 2012 ahead of Wales, Scotland and Japan.

Still better than the Womens World Cup which was "seeded" rather than drawn. It meant a lot of big teams were knocking each other out in group play then doing it again in the early playoff rounds. I know the intent was to try to ensure Canada a less difficult path than the other teams, but let's hope they don't do this for France '19. I guess the one factor for the Rugby World Cup is they know people will watch the rugby whether England was playing or not.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived