2015 Rugby World Cup

kiwi_canadian

There goes England again with the Black.

England you're the Roses.

Do you mean the socks?

Yes.

Last time when the World Cup was on in New Zealand England decided to wear Black away kits........... in New Zealand mind.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England have always worn very dark navy socks with white trim.

England-Rugby-Team-Joe-Mycock_Captain.jp

2007 was the first team strip that didn't feature those socks as far as I know. They have dabbled with all white a couple of times since. But in the last two years since Canterbury took over they have been in the traditional strip colours.

sport-graphics-2007_704476a.jpg

Davidson beat me to it but I'm still going to post this anyway.

jonny_2415877b.jpg

This picture is interesting because here you can see when the jerseys went from being heavy looking polo shirts to the more streamlined kit we see today. I had to go back and look at pictures from the 1995 World Cup after watching Invictus because I thought the jerseys were wrong. Rugby has really not gotten the media attention it deserves in the US though it's getting better. Fox Sports 1 seems to show all the Many Sea Eagles home games every time I run across the matches.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This picture is interesting because here you can see when the jerseys went from being heavy looking polo shirts to the more streamlined kit we see today. I had to go back and look at pictures from the 1995 World Cup after watching Invictus because I thought the jerseys were wrong. Rugby has really not gotten the media attention it deserves in the US though it's getting better. Fox Sports 1 seems to show all the Many Sea Eagles home games every time I run across the matches.

Back in the 'olden days' the heavy polo type shirts were designed to be durable and not tear when being tackled and grabbed etc. The newer streamlined and skin tight jerseys are designed so that opposition players cannot grab hold of you which makes it more difficult to tackle. This was only possible when the materials had been invented and created to do so.

Rugby Union was not officially a professional sport until 1995 after the success of the World Cup. Money was poured into the game and creation of things like the Heineken Cup (now replaced by the European Rugby Champions Cup) helped the sport grow. As well as major advancements in jersey technology and design the average size and ability of players has improved dramatically also.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Back in the 'olden days' the heavy polo type shirts were designed to be durable and not tear when being tackled and grabbed etc. The newer streamlined and skin tight jerseys are designed so that opposition players cannot grab hold of you which makes it more difficult to tackle. This was only possible when the materials had been invented and created to do so.

Rugby Union was not officially a professional sport until 1995 after the success of the World Cup. Money was poured into the game and creation of things like the Heineken Cup (now replaced by the European Rugby Champions Cup) helped the sport grow. As well as major advancements in jersey technology and design the average size and ability of players has improved dramatically also.

Yup, they were pretty ridiculous...

maxresdefault.jpg

Btw: I own myself the last Springbok jersey and the material is incredibly nice. Much more comfortable and better than any other sports jersey I ever held in my hands. It's just very light and also stretchy and therefore perfect to wear for doing sports or at hot temperatures.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Ah, M-W is league. Enjoyable but definitely a bastardized version of the game, a la Arena League Football.

If you have ESPN3, there's a Samoa friendly tonight, and they show some Top 14 (France). BeInSports will show 1-2 Avila Premiership (England) matches a week. However, other than the friendlies, it's all league until September with the World Cup.

Unless you want to plumb the depths of the Internet for ITM (New Zealand/Australia) or Currie Cup (South Africa) match feeds. Those start in about a month.

I'm liking that USA home shirt. US Soccer should follow a similar design for the next aways.

Couldn't agree more. Enough of the throwback heritage stuff... just because it's a progressive look, doesn't mean it has to be 90's style flash.

Alas, Canada again look years behind everyone else.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Ah, M-W is league. Enjoyable but definitely a bastardized version of the game, a la Arena League Football.

If you have ESPN3, there's a Samoa friendly tonight, and they show some Top 14 (France). BeInSports will show 1-2 Avila Premiership (England) matches a week. However, other than the friendlies, it's all league until September with the World Cup.

Unless you want to plumb the depths of the Internet for ITM (New Zealand/Australia) or Currie Cup (South Africa) match feeds. Those start in about a month.

Love the Currie cup, WP jou lekker ding!

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2007 was the first team strip that didn't feature those socks as far as I know. They have dabbled with all white a couple of times since. But in the last two years since Canterbury took over they have been in the traditional strip colours.

1991 World Cup they had white socks

1999 World cup they had white and red socks

2003 World Cup they had white socks with red top

There are a few more but i did see the Dark Blue socks and never realised they were so used.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

There are a few more but i did see the Dark Blue socks and never realised they were so used.

As davidson said, England have near enough always worn the very dark navy socks. It is the traditional look for them. I don't know where you got the info from about those 3 World Cups because as far as I can remember, as well as looking up pictures, none of what you have said is true.

Unless you are confusing Rugby League.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Fox Sports 1 seems to show all the Many Sea Eagles home games every time I run across the matches.

That's pretty interesting out of all the NRL teams I wouldn't guess it would be Manly to get shown internationally. As you say Rugby Union does need to get more exposure in the US because Manly are a Rugby League team.

As davidson said, England have near enough always worn the very dark navy socks. It is the traditional look for them. I don't know where you got the info from about those 3 World Cups because as far as I can remember, as well as looking up pictures, none of what you have said is true.

Unless you are confusing Rugby League.

I'll add some evidence to this discussion

Nick_Farr-Jones_1974915c.jpg

_49697520_pvwc99_getty.jpg

_44572965_rwc2003getty.jpg

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

Not sure where you've seen this?...

They wore white socks in the 2011 world cup. They had charcoal socks for a period around 2012/2013.

Prior to the 2003 RWC they released this image of Richard Hill wearing white socks as part of the kit. Not sure whether the RFU nixed it before they played in it or whether it was a mistake, but they never saw the field.

Distinctly remember the outrage I felt seeing it...

_42928157_hill2003getty.jpg

I said i never realised how much they wore them, i watch the world Cup and went to a few games in NZ in 2011 and i never seen the Black - Blue socks once.

A few of them i looked at were actually Georgia, so my mistake.

england-rugby-union-team-455972889.jpg

england-v-scotland-2011-image-2-88703325

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

Archived