A few questions...

philly97flyer

please reply if u know the answers it would be a big help. thanx

1. can two teams wear their 3rd jerseys in the same game? (ex:toronto wearing white 3rds and the other team wearing dark thirds)

2. when a team wears yellow (boston, nashville), does the other team have to wear white or can they wear another contrasting color?

3. can teams ever wear their 3rd jerseys in the playoffs?

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

For question 3, I think if a team chooses to wear a third, they have to wear it for the entire run of the playoffs when appropriate like Toronto last year or Pittsburgh in 96.  They can't switch in the middle of the playoffs.

answers:

1. I believe the league prefers not to.  It has happened before.  I know San Jose and Anaheim wore both of theirs in 1997-98.  Sharks in the Nike Deep Teal 3rds and then Anaheim in their best home alts.  It may have also happened when the Rangers had the white alts one year.

2. Usually not, teams at first wore the dark jerseys when Boston went yellow because the B's wore their white helmets.  Afterwards, they went to black helmets and teams wore the white jerseys to contrast with the black helmets.

3. Teams can wear thirds for the playoffs (Phoenix 1999 and 2000, Toronto 2002) and remember the Stars "won" the Cup in 1999 while wear their then 3rds, which they changed next season to be their roadies.  One catch: if you wear the thirds as a road jersey, you must wear them throughout the playoffs.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Speaking of the old Anaheim home alts and the Ranger white alts:  Is it a rule now that NHL teams can only have three jerseys?  They should make that rule for MLB to allow 4 jerseys-home,road,alt,BP.  Also, I'm about 96% sure an NHL team can't have a third with differant colors than home and roadies.  e.g.  Red and Black Sabres couldn't have a blue alternate.  Then how did Edmonton get away with their darker blue and silver 3rds?  

P.S.  Thanks to Puckguy14 for putting "won" in quotation marks.  I still hate Brett Hull and the Stars.  Then again, I hated them before that disgrace.

Sabres, we all know the rules.  I could go on and on about that "goal" and will stop.  As a Sharks fan, Bettman has screwed us over.  If anyone wants a list, please email me and put in the subject head, Sharks Conspiracy.

One more 3rd jersey rule: teams must wear their them a minimum 8 times and no more than 15.  The exception: last year the Red Wings were on a road trip that included LA and Vancouver where both teams were going to wear thirds.  SJ wasn't but in an agreement, wore the thirds.

The bruins wore their gold alternate against the Rangers blue alternate on one occasion this season.  It looked grrreat.
Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Oddly enough, the Stars wore their home ("Minnesota") jerseys to the parade.

I also wanted to add that in 1992 when the original six played eachother, they wore retro "thirds."  The Canadiens wore red when they played Toronto wearing blue and it looked very cool; as did Detroit (red) vs. Toronto (blue).

Rob

A couple "answers" here, but they might not be very helpfull...  :;):

1) I'm pretty sure I saw the Bruins or Predators in their alts playing Chicago in their alts this year.  But then again, I could be imagining that...

3) I'm sure you're asking about the NHL, but I can tell you that in the Western Hockey League (junior), the Portland Winter Hawks wore their alts in all four road playoff games, so it's allowed there.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

• 10 months later...

1. can two teams wear their 3rd jerseys in the same game? (ex:toronto wearing white 3rds and the other team wearing dark thirds)

2. when a team wears yellow (boston, nashville), does the other team have to wear white or can they wear another contrasting color?

1-yes but it never happened

2-they must wear white

3-yes but if they wear their 3rd, they must leave behind one of their regulars.

1-yes but it never happened

Wow, old thread...

You're wrong, I've seen the Leafs and Bruins square off with both teams wearing the alternates.   And I'm sure it's happened a few other times around the league, especially with the Ranger white alts.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

When the third jersey program first came out, the Bruins and Rangers wore 3rd vs. 3rd several times when playing each other. I can also recall on several occasions the Rangers' 3rd white jerseys and Ducks 3rd white jerseys vs. lots of dark coloured thirds - Dallas, San Jose's original, etc. Same with the Kings first 3rd jersey. They played the Ducks in their original 3rd twice. Lots of occasions...

The 3rd jersey playoff rule is kinda unwritten, but there is a breaker. The Rangers in 96-97 wore their blueshirts against the Panthers in game 1, but after losing, used their Liberties for the rest of the playoffs.

Nashville has played against dark teams in their thirds, as well.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Archived