NBA Rebrand :: Sonics Added! - 31/31

derschwigg

I'd have to agree with the comments on the Indiana state outline. You could probably eliminate it altogether. But whatever happens, let's all agree to never use "p-hole" again.

As for Memphis, the only thing that sticks out--somewhat literally--is the "hangnails" at the bases of the claws. Removing those would help clean it up.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I kinda like the Jazz mark, but it's missing something IMO. It needs either something "Jazzy" or something with the old mountain Motif.

Utah Jazz is clever, but it does need something extra. Not sure how a mountain would fit in, so maybe just more differentiation between the U and the J.

Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

1 minute ago, derschwigg said:

I should clarify. Does moving the icicles from the right side to the left side change the mark for the better? Sorry if that came across as a little douchey.

I don't really know. Most logos just have things move from the left to the right, not vice versa. 

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

21 minutes ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

I'd say it matters. 

I'd remove the serif or sharp edge on the top left of the right side of the U tho. It's clashing with the left side and making the right feel way bigger than the left. 

WHY does it matter. Simply saying it does isn't gonna cut it here.

Look at the wordmark. The U doesn’t have a serif there, and the J does. That's why it looks like that. But, I plan on keeping the icicles where they are because the visual movement of the icon is already really nicely moving from left to right. I'm asking if it matters because I'd really like to keep that movement in there.

On January 26, 2016 at 6:28 PM, derschwigg said:

WHY does it matter. Simply saying it does isn't gonna cut it here.

Look at the wordmark. The U doesn’t have a serif there, and the J does. That's why it looks like that. But, I plan on keeping the icicles where they are because the visual movement of the icon is already really nicely moving from left to right. I'm asking if it matters because I'd really like to keep that movement in there.

What do you mean WHY? You're asking for opinions. I'd like to see how the U looks when the movement is headed right as opposed to left. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll for sure look better but I'm not the only one suggesting this.

Also, the U logo is supposed to be a J & U combined? I wasn't aware of that before you pointed it out. Right now it IS just a U. It doesn't matter if the word mark J or U or whatever has a serif. I'm suggesting that currently the serif is clashing with the form and making it busier than it needs to be. 

Again, maybe you don't want to make these adjustments but you're presenting these options to us and we're giving feedback. It's only meant to help you out. 

What do you mean WHY? You're asking for opinions. I'd like to see how the U looks when the movement is headed right as opposed to left. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll for sure look better but I'm not the only one suggesting this.

Also, the U logo is supposed to be a J & U combined? I wasn't aware of that before you pointed it out. Right now it IS just a U. It doesn't matter if the word mark J or U or whatever has a serif. I'm suggesting that currently the serif is clashing with the form and making it busier than it needs to be. 

Again, maybe you don't want to make these adjustments but you're presenting these options to us and we're giving feedback. It's only meant to help you out. 

I ask WHY to make people on these forums give better criticism. Saying it is or isn't, does or doesn't isn't critiquing. It's a declaration. A statement. Statements don't help because they don't say why. Tell people why you think it does or doesn't work - it's my biggest pet peeve about these boards. 

When I've got time, I'll shift em to the other side to see how it works, and toy with the serif. But it is a U and a J. You see a U first, and the U and the J when you look closer. That's how I designed it, that's what I wanted. It's like the Univ. of Nebraska at Omaha logo. It's an O at first, then a U and an N when you look closer. 

The original looks better. Forget left-to-right. Follow the direction of the italics. And--to my eye at least--the original was the way to go.

On all of these, are the logos and wordmarks intended to be used together in this vertical arrangement that you have each time, or are they two completely separate logos? For some of these, they'd work together, but for the Clippers, the way the script sinks to the right throws of the balance, because the logo is straight-on frontal. They don't seem to compliment each other when situated vertically like that. But I do like that you've brought back a script for the Clippers.

27 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

On all of these, are the logos and wordmarks intended to be used together in this vertical arrangement that you have each time, or are they two completely separate logos? For some of these, they'd work together, but for the Clippers, the way the script sinks to the right throws of the balance, because the logo is straight-on frontal. They don't seem to compliment each other when situated vertically like that. But I do like that you've brought back a script for the Clippers.

I go back and forth. Some of them, like you said, could work as they're laid out here. Most of them, however, are two separate marks.

Archived