The Professional Quidditch Association- UPDATE: San Francisco (2/29)

suplauren

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Gargoyles look nice overall. Clever way to put the gargoyle on the broom. I know it's probably me being too literal about it, but if any team demands to have grey in its color scheme, it's the Gargoyles. I understand the bronze color you went with, but it's a detail that isn't (to me) significant enough to justify making it that color. It would kind of be like making a logo with the Statue of Liberty in it shiny copper because that's what it originally was made of. The Statue of Liberty is now and always will be green. Again, maybe just me being too literal, but the very first thing I thought of was "I wonder why it isn't grey?"

Gargoyles look nice overall. Clever way to put the gargoyle on the broom. I know it's probably me being too literal about it, but if any team demands to have grey in its color scheme, it's the Gargoyles. I understand the bronze color you went with, but it's a detail that isn't (to me) significant enough to justify making it that color. It would kind of be like making a logo with the Statue of Liberty in it shiny copper because that's what it originally was made of. The Statue of Liberty is now and always will be green. Again, maybe just me being too literal, but the very first thing I thought of was "I wonder why it isn't grey?"

I definitely get you. The reason I didn't go with grey is that every other team in the division is using grey. Ohio and New York have very dark, anthracite toned greys, and Chicago has a lighter grey. I agree that the Gargoyles would make sense to have grey, and it'd look good with the purple, but I also don't want a flood of grey teams.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Everyone, I've been really sporadic with this. I haven't been able to put in the time I want to on two cities. But I'll present my California teams!

LOS ANGELES

In my opinion, Los Angeles is the best city in the country for quidditch right now. I may be biased, as I come from the west, but I think the city has a strong case. There are probably 10 teams within a 50 mile radius of the city, and many of them are very good (especially the Gambits and the Lost Boys). It's also a friendly region, with teams inclined to help each other get better. The weather means practices easily run year-round. And two words: beach quidditch.

Proudly presenting SoCal's finest, the

LOS ANGELES DIRE WOLVES

KOmehL4.png

Coming from LA, I've had multiple ideas for LA sports teams, quidditch or not. This is by far my most realized project, and my favorite team in the PQA. 

The Wolves take their inspiration from the La Brea Tar Pits. Hundreds and hundreds of dire wolves have been excavated from this amazing landmark. The secondary pays specific homage to the paleontological roots of the team. The colors were chosen to reference the iridescence you see on the top of oil slicks, like at the tar pits.

The popularity of Game of Thrones definitely factored into the name choice, as well ;) the managers imagine merch would sell especially well!

On 2/22/2016 at 10:55 AM, jdp said:

The combination of franchises is a little confusing, but other than that, LA looks good.

By combination of franchises, do you mean which cities I chose? If yes, I get that. It seems a little odd. But I wanted to pick cities that currently have a strong quidditch scene IRL, which leaves a lot of areas around the country out.

4 minutes ago, suplauren said:

By combination of franchises, do you mean which cities I chose? If yes, I get that. It seems a little odd. But I wanted to pick cities that currently have a strong quidditch scene IRL, which leaves a lot of areas around the country out.

I meant Harry Potter and Game of Thrones... Quidditch and Direwolves.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Just now, jdp said:

I meant Harry Potter and Game of Thrones... Quidditch and Direwolves.

Oh haha, I see what you mean! But I wanted to Dire Wolves mainly as a reference to the Tar Pits, with just a off-hand remark about GoT. I think the name and identity would be strong enough to stand on its own after the GoT craze has died down.

SAN FRANCISCO

The Bay Area is a bastion of quidditch. It was the first major competitor in western quidditch, with teams like Berkeley and the Silicon Valley Skrewts as early powerhouses. The dominance of Bay Area quidditch has waned slightly in recent years, but this season has seen an explosion of teams in the Bay.

San Francisco was an obvious choice when planning my teams. A mascot was not. I wanted something quirky, but not childish. Something that felt like the Bay Area, but wasn't overdone. And while looking at college mascots, I made my selection.

The frisky competitors from the Bay, presenting the

SAN FRANCISCO OTTERS

lo4gmfD.png

This started out as looking at Cal State Monterrey Bay's logo and wondering if it was possible to make a logo that looked like a sea otter, but wasn't cuddly. I played with circles a lot making this logo and I'm pleased with how the shapes turned out. The colors were originally yellow, brown, and green, but I think they turned out much feistier when I changed the green to a golden gate orange. I also love the retro vibe they give off.

The secondary is a little bit of an inside joke- SFO stands for San Francisco Otters, but it's also the abbreviation for the San Francisco International Airport.

Overall, I love it. Great palette, great concept. My only problem is that the left edge of the logo looks a bit squished, where I would expect it to be a perfect arc.

rATMcmK.png

15 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Overall, I love it. Great palette, great concept. My only problem is that the left edge of the logo looks a bit squished, where I would expect it to be a perfect arc.

I definitely see the squishing now and that's really bothering me. I'll bring it into illustrator when I get the chance and tweak it. 

Thanks for the feedback!!

On 3/1/2016 at 11:29 PM, suplauren said:

SAN FRANCISCO

The Bay Area is a bastion of quidditch. It was the first major competitor in western quidditch, with teams like Berkeley and the Silicon Valley Skrewts as early powerhouses. The dominance of Bay Area quidditch has waned slightly in recent years, but this season has seen an explosion of teams in the Bay.

San Francisco was an obvious choice when planning my teams. A mascot was not. I wanted something quirky, but not childish. Something that felt like the Bay Area, but wasn't overdone. And while looking at college mascots, I made my selection.

The frisky competitors from the Bay, presenting the

SAN FRANCISCO OTTERS

lo4gmfD.png

This started out as looking at Cal State Monterrey Bay's logo and wondering if it was possible to make a logo that looked like a sea otter, but wasn't cuddly. I played with circles a lot making this logo and I'm pleased with how the shapes turned out. The colors were originally yellow, brown, and green, but I think they turned out much feistier when I changed the green to a golden gate orange. I also love the retro vibe they give off.

The secondary is a little bit of an inside joke- SFO stands for San Francisco Otters, but it's also the abbreviation for the San Francisco International Airport.

Aside from what was mentioned about the left edge I really like this logo of yours Suplauren.  It has a very retro feel to it that I'm really digging, good job. Will be standing by for the updated version & to see what's up next.

Archived