obsurring the MLB logo

schlim

And who thought the NFL was the only league with uniform police?

This from the Boston Globe:

Garciaparra was in a fine mess

He was docked for not showing helmet logo

By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff | July 14, 2004

HOUSTON -- The Red Sox say it is now a dead issue, but after fining him three times for noncompliance, Major League Baseball was prepared to suspend shortstop Nomar Garciaparra last week if the MLB logo on the back of his helmet was not visible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Garciaparra was faced with a suspension starting last Tuesday, according to a source in the commissioner's office, after being fined a total of $4,500 in a dispute that began last season. Garciaparra had detached the logo from his helmet at that time, and had objected to being told to put it back, the source said.

"He said that we hadn't made an issue out of it when he was going bad, so why were we now making an issue of it when he was going good?" the source said. "Why did he care in the first place? I don't know, maybe it was a superstition thing."

MLB sent letters to the player and the Red Sox, and eventually the union entered the dispute, the source said. Garciaparra was fined $1,000 the first time, $1,500 the second, and $2,000 the third, the source said. Even after he reattached the logo, Garciaparra was seen smearing dirt on the helmet, obscuring the logo from sight.

Sandy Alderson, MLB's executive vice president for baseball operations, said yesterday he was aware of the Garciaparra situation but offered no further comment, other than to indicate it was his belief that Garciaparra was now in compliance with the MLB directive regarding the logo, which is about a square inch in size.

"It's a uniform issue," Alderson said.

"Clubs wear uniforms in which certain things are required to be on the uniform. Certain things also may not be worn on the uniform."

The source said that MLB no longer will tolerate the batting helmets of Sox players, including those belonging to Manny Ramirez and Trot Nixon, which are smeared with dirt and pine tar, obscuring the "B" logo on the front of the helmets.

"I think you'll see a difference when the second half starts," the source said. "You have to be able to see the team's logo."

Ramirez's pants, which he wears past his shoetops, are borderline acceptable, said the source. "Never mind the style," the source said. "There's a safety issue. One of these days he's going to catch a cleat in his pants and tear something."

Geeze. Maybe they should just dress them when they get up in the morning and when they get to the ballpark. Probably rules as to what they can and can't wear in public too.

Go smear the sign of your company with mud and see if anybody has a problem with that.

The logo is an asset that needs to be treated in the same way as any other asset in the company.

People that don't understand that perspective, most likely are being dressed by their mommies in the morning, too.

You can't see it in the stands, and if your watching tv, or watching the game in the stadium, obviously you know what MLB or Major League Baseball is. It shouldn't matter whether you see the logos on the helmet or not. Now on the actually uniform, thats another story, but I think you should know what teams your seeing before you see the helmets...

Well he plays for a major league team, he has the MLB logo all over his uniform, whats the problem? Its the logo ON THE BACK OF HIS HELMET! Who cares!!

Now if the MLB suspect he is doing it deliberately for some reason, to show MLB the finger if you like, then maybe somefirm punishment is in order. Otherwise, let the guy play the game!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well, I don't have any problem with the league coming down on dirty helmets covering up the team logo on the front. After all, as Chris pointed out, it is the company uniform, and if I was working in MacDonalds or something, I couldn't scratch off the golden arches fro my hat or sleeve or wherever else the uniform has it these days.

I think the MLB logo is redudant, but obviously, when the league is selling replicas and the like, which is emblazoned all over with MLB and sports company logos all over it, they can't sit idly by and let the players run wild and do what they want if the league has a defintie financial stake in things.

Most of the problem I think people are taking from this is the seemingly unnecessary stamping of everything in sports uniforms and clothing these days with tgs, logos and ads. And for as much as ebay knockoffs are pointed out on these boards, and every retro uniofrm disected by saying the logo is 15% smaler, greena bit lighter, logo on the wrong shoulder, I would think most folks on this board would be sympathetic to ML's charges here.

Anyway, so it goes, it's all about the money, and whatever the heck people who are spending it tell you to do.

Nomar giving MLB the finger? Why, is his 13 million dollar a year contract meaningless? Poor thing.

It's not like these guys are working in office cubicles. They're out there in the grass and dirt and those unis are gonna get grimey. When's the last time you heard of a constructon company fining some guy for getting his helmet dirty?

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

You can't see it in the stands, and if your watching tv, or watching the game in the stadium, obviously you know what MLB or Major League Baseball is. It shouldn't matter whether you see the logos on the helmet or not. Now on the actually uniform, thats another story, but I think you should know what teams your seeing before you see the helmets...

What he said. :D

Archived