Cardinals Logo (Updated)

baylorfan

Below is a logo I have been working on for the Arizona Cardinals. The goal was to update their current logo into a more modern identity through a 'refresh' rather than a total revamp. I will be adding more at a later time; just thought I'd get my first idea out there. Let me know what you guys think!

Logo_zpsg2as8gle.png

The head has a really weird shape. Fix that and this is just alright. I still would prefer the current to this, but this is definitely something to build off of.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I really like the way you have done the red tones. I think maybe the white mouth gets lost on the yellow beak. Maybe try making it red. It might also look interesting if you angled the mouth down to the tip of the beak.

I'd love to see what this looks like large on the side of a helmet.

spacer.png

I really like the way you have done the red tones. I think maybe the white mouth gets lost on the yellow beak. Maybe try making it red. It might also look interesting if you angled the mouth down to the tip of the beak.

I'd love to see what this looks like large on the side of a helmet.

That is actually supposed to be a glare on the beak similar to those on the head. I may need to make it darker since it is hard to tell at a smaller size. I am planning on posting a helmet once I get more feedback. I suppose I could later today though, regardless.

Why would you fix something that doesn't need to be fixed? Their current logo has no issues with it.

Totally right

Because that's what this site is?? Critique it all you want but that's literally exactly what this site is for. Don't listen to these guys sippin the haterade.

Why would you fix something that doesn't need to be fixed? Their current logo has no issues with it.

Totally right

Because that's what this site is?? Critique it all you want but that's literally exactly what this site is for. Don't listen to these guys sippin the haterade.

Okay, so I suppose I agree with your claim but still. There has been multiple different proposals to change the logo and not one has been followed.

Totally right

Okay and my critique is that this is a total downgrade from the current logo, so why change anything.

a2BRS8U.png

I agree.. This is a quality cardinals logo, and I can think of several schools who would be found themselves a huge favor to buy this from you, but the Arizona Cardinals are not in that category, as their logo is perfect as is

Kinda proving my point to an extent, Never said anything bad about the logo as its pretty good, but just not for the NFL team.

a2BRS8U.png

if im honest, its a poorly drawn version of their current logo. it gets away from any realism the official logo has and inserts a more cartoony feel. i think you've been too aggressive in the line work in the sense that the bottom curve is too extreme and the beak appears bloated

i see what you're going for with the modern look, comparing this to the Dolphins, Jags, and Panthers updates, i see some comonalities here. those logos didn't just add shadows though, they're playing with perspective more where this logo is still a side profile. turn the birds head a bit and you'll get it closer to the modern look you're after, though i will say the modern NFL logos are not good IMO and its the wirk of Marc Verlander (cardinals, falcons, texans, bengals) that should be studied

i would also say the wordmark needs more work. i would remove the Vikings like spurs and instead think of something else you can put into it from the bird logo

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

if im honest, its a poorly drawn version of their current logo. it gets away from any realism the official logo has and inserts a more cartoony feel. i think you've been too aggressive in the line work in the sense that the bottom curve is too extreme and the beak appears bloated

i see what you're going for with the modern look, comparing this to the Dolphins, Jags, and Panthers updates, i see some comonalities here. those logos didn't just add shadows though, they're playing with perspective more where this logo is still a side profile. turn the birds head a bit and you'll get it closer to the modern look you're after, though i will say the modern NFL logos are not good IMO and its the wirk of Marc Verlander (cardinals, falcons, texans, bengals) that should be studied

i would also say the wordmark needs more work. i would remove the Vikings like spurs and instead think of something else you can put into it from the bird logo

Thank you for providing some valuable feedback. Your work is awe inspiring and one of the reasons I joined this site. As for the 'cartoony' feel, I felt as if my design was lacking something and began working on a different perspective a few days ago. The word mark, however, I was really pleased with. I simply took the angles from their current word mark and enlarged it to hopefully symbolize the feathers on the Cardinals head. However, this is my first logo creation and I know there's going to be tons I need to work on. Again, thank you for the comments and I look forward to hearing more from you.

As for why I chose the Cardinals, I've always been a fan of their current logo and felt like they have one of the best identity's in the league. However, I've always thought they needed more of a red color scheme and a slightly more realistic looking bird. I understand a lot of people think their current logo is perfect and that there is no need to change anything. I've just always wanted to put my ideas into perspective for myself, and everyone else to see. Keep in mind, this is not a proposal, but instead a concept. I've shared it with you to hopefully gain necessary feedback needed to make my logo great.

I will indeed be posting more updates in the near future. In the mean time, I appreciate everyone's feedback and please, keep it coming; good or bad.

For a first time logo attempt, I'd say you've done a nice job so far.

But...Right now you have three shades of red, which I'm sure you used in an attempt to add depth, but it's too much. You could lose the darkest shade of red since it just seems randomly splashed on the bottom and doesn't follow the contours of the birds head in an way. One or two shades of red is enough to accomplish depth.

I feel the shape of the head on your version here is actually more accurate to a real cardinal than the Arizona Cardinals logo, which has an oversized eye and a somewhat human-shaped head (two features I really like about their identity since it gives them a distinct logo compared with other Cardinals logos, but not necessarily accurate with real life cardinals). That being said, I think you could increase the size of the eye by 10-15% here.

The subtle arch on the bottom of the word CARDINALS is so subtle that it's barely noticeable and just confuses my eyes as if my vision is tricking me.

If you're trying to improve upon the Arizona Cardinals logo and word mark, it'll be a losing battle since their identity is just right in my opinion, but if you're trying to make a solid looking generic cardinal that could be used for any team or school, you're off to a great start.

Totally right

Okay and my critique is that this is a total downgrade from the current logo, so why change anything.

and see, this bothers me much less. Not quite as constructive as I'd like, but baby steps I guess.

Archived