Hand-Drawn Soccer Drawings III: MLB-As-Soccer Crossover (COMPLETED!)

TheGiantsFan

Seattle and Denver look great. Those are some wonderful interpretations and inclusion of past teams, as well as city elements. But there are a couple things about the colors that throw me off.

• Seattle - The shorts. With that much yellow on the clash, having teal shorts is too much. At least to my eyes. I think navy shorts would work better here. Actually, I might even just swap the home and clash shorts, and it would look pretty solid.
  • Denver - Against the darker purple, the lighter purple comes off as pink.

Also, damn that Reds concept is good. And I definitely do not support the actual Reds. ;)

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jdp said:

Seattle and Denver look great. Those are some wonderful interpretations and inclusion of past teams, as well as city elements. But there are a couple things about the colors that throw me off.

• Seattle - The shorts. With that much yellow on the clash, having teal shorts is too much. At least to my eyes. I think navy shorts would work better here. Actually, I might even just swap the home and clash shorts, and it would look pretty solid.

Also, damn that Reds concept is good. And I definitely do not support the actual Reds. ;)

To be honest, the Denver concept is lovely, but I also have the same output on the light purple, it really does look pink, I think a more lavender color or even maybe experiment with black.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

7 hours ago, jdp said:

It is certainly fairly enjoyable (and very interesting) combining sports logo history and civic imagery alike into these concepts, and I'm certainly glad you're liking them! (Even your hated Reds. :P)

As far as your suggestions are concerned, I'll address 'em later this post...

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Denver looks great. I really like the two-tone purple on the home jersey. I disagree with the previous poster who said the lighter purple looks pink. It looks magenta to my eyes.

This has been a really fun series to follow!

5 hours ago, RedfieldNick said:

To be honest, the Denver concept is lovely, but I also have the same output on the light purple, it really does look pink, I think a more lavender color or even maybe experiment with black.

The lighter purple actually appears much lighter in the scan; the Crayola "Orchid" colored pencil I use actually looks darker in real life...

5 hours ago, Spanna65 said:

The new format makes your designs look even better on phones. Great job on Denver, I'm a big fan of the two toned Purple.

It does indeed, though it'll certainly take some getting used to.

Glad you liked Denver, my friend! :)

-------------------------------------------------------

At the masses' request, namely jdp, I decided to make a few tweaks to Seattle and Denver.

24148158580_0a89bae395_c.jpg

For Seattle, I simply decided to eliminate the teal shorts on the clash and replaced that with shorts similar to the home, but with teal replacing the yellow.

23847966603_543198cfbf_c.jpg

For Denver, I simply concocted a new shade of purple from the erased remnants of the "Orchid" and colored it over lightly with a regular purple colored pencil.

Their respective posts have been updated above, and I'm really appreciating all your feedback! :)
~ Daryl

That is way better for Denver, and I personally liked the first version of Seattle, but seeing those shorts made me realize the second version looked way better.

Welcome to Kansas, where you can see your future, literally.

image.png

IMG_1326.PNG

On 1/20/2016 at 4:42 AM, RedfieldNick said:

That is way better for Denver, and I personally liked the first version of Seattle, but seeing those shorts made me realize the second version looked way better.

I felt the same way for Seattle as well; I originally thought that the old version was alright, but this newer version I noticed was indeed much better. Glad you liked both it and Denver's updates! :)

On 1/20/2016 at 9:07 AM, jdp said:

Great updates on both Seattle and Denver!!

Thanks for your feedback in making it better! :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American League WEST
AC Oakland

Oakland, California

Founded: 1901

Championships9 (1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989)

Oakland Athletics Logos

24256647690_7173fc105d_c.jpg

Back when I was still considering doing series, I decided that in doing Oakland's concept, I just had to use the awesome elephant alternate logo of theirs, giving the team the Tottenham treatment in terms of the logo (I actually used the same exact football from the Tottenham crest for this one). However, since the accurate nickname for the A's was the white elephant, I recolored the current elephant to one that resembles the white elephant logo from 1988. There is a minuscule "ACO" monogram on the banner on the elephant, stylized like the A's cap logo. I decided to display all 9 of their championship stars, surrounding it at the bottom of the soccer ball (Mark Willis took a very similar approach in his take on a soccerized A's).

The home kit is a combination of the A's 1971 yellow jersey and its 1972 version; the combination of eras here is most evident in the striping. The clash jersey is similar to the home, with hints taken from the new green alternate jersey the A's released not too many years ago. The kits are supplied by New Balance, and the sponsor is Cisco (the Silicon Valley software company that has sponsored many (failed) A's stadium proposals).

Up next, the Giants' biggest rivals to the south...

~ Daryl

PS: The links I put so much of on my posts are so much easier to put with this new forum update

5 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Wow! Oakland looks unbelievably fantastic. Your detail by hand always ends up surprising me, and the elephant makes a classy crest nice work.

Thank you! :)

And I certainly agree with you on the elephant logo there~

4 hours ago, coco1997 said:

A's look great, pretty much how I expected they'd look. 

Looking forward to the Dodgers!

Glad you liked Oakland! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try to make this post as unbiased as possible. :P

National League WEST
Los Angeles SC

Los Angeles, California

Founded: 1883

Championships: 6 (1955, 1959, 1963, 1965, 1981, 1988)

Los Angeles Dodgers Logos

24198559029_d2e6a553d6_c.jpg

The crest I used for my soccerized Dodgers is taken from their logo for their 50th anniversary since moving to LA, with necessary modifications. I split apart the cap logo so that "LA" lines both sides of the flying soccer ball, adapted from the flying baseball in their logo set. In the background is the unique, check pattern the Dodgers donned in Brooklyn (more on that in the paragraph below).

The Dodgers have a very classy uniform set, but it's really hard to translate into soccer kits; instead, I sacrificed the Dodgers' conservative looks to ones that are a bit more out there. The home kit incorporates the check pattern of the Brooklyn Dodgers' 1916 uniforms, with the three middle stripes colored red to match Adidas branding the streaks behind the ball in the logo. The clash kit is a more conservative jersey, with three red stripes taking center stage on a blue jersey; it could be taken to represent the many freeways the stretch through and around the LA Basin. The kits are supplied by Adidas, and the sponsor is Cathay Pacific (because 1) the Dodgers are one of those large teams that international airlines would sponsor, and 2) it caters to California's large Asian population).

Now that that post is done, Go Giants! :)

Up next, the Yankees!
~ Daryl

5 hours ago, coco1997 said:

The Dodgers look really great. I love that you incorporated their plaid design from the Brooklyn era. A lot of nice attention to detail in this series. 

Thank you on all parts! :)

And Brooklyn's plaid was too cool to not use. Haha...

---------------------------------------------

So I'm trying to come up with ideas for the Yankees crossover right now and, aside from the home kit and sponsorship, I'm kinda short on ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions for New York? They'd be greatly appreciated. :)

(I am considering using a rejected NYCFC logo for a shield shape)

22 minutes ago, TheGiantsFan said:

Thank you on all parts! :)

And Brooklyn's plaid was too cool to not use. Haha...

---------------------------------------------

So I'm trying to come up with ideas for the Yankees crossover right now and, aside from the home kit and sponsorship, I'm kinda short on ideas. Does anybody have any suggestions for New York? They'd be greatly appreciated. :)

(I am considering using a rejected NYCFC logo for a shield shape)

Not much you can really do with the Yankees since they've had basically one look their entire existence.

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Not much you can really do with the Yankees since they've had basically one look their entire existence.

10 hours ago, Uglybus said:

Perhaps a plain ol' navy blue kit will do. 

Alrighty, thanks for the suggestions! I decided that I'll use a navy blue kit, though not as plain as Uglybus would suggest. :P

---------------------------------------------------------------

American League EAST

Premier New York City

New York, New York

Founded: 1901

Championships: 27 (1923, 1927, 1928, 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1943, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1956, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2009) *whew*

New York Yankees Logos

24229603879_d9896e8a56_c.jpg

Because this team is the most successful of the teams, it has earned the prestige of having "Premier" in its team name. After some consideration and some searching, I stumbled upon this NYCFC concept by Milo Kowalski. Because the monogram on that concept is very similar to the famous Yankees cap logo, I just had to use it. Plus, it looks very clean-cut and classy! I decided to remove any trace of red to make this team a solely navy blue/white team.

The home kit is very simply the classic Yankees pinstripes on a soccer jersey. The clash kit takes the pinstripes and turns it into vertical hoops, with two-tone navy blue and white trim; there are five stripes to represent the five boroughs of New York City. The kits are supplied by Umbro, and the sponsor is Etihad Airways (because the Yankees have part-ownership of the real-life New York City FC, whose jersey sponsor is Etihad).

Up next, we depart the classic looks of the Bronx to the wilds of south Florida!

~ Daryl

•  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2016 at 4:54 AM, coco1997 said:

Yankees turned out well. Can't wait to see what you do with the Marlins!

Thank you! :) The Marlins I hope would be quite a stunner...

On 1/25/2016 at 8:13 AM, jdp said:

Really interested to se what you do with the Cardinals. But no pressure. ;)

I'm planning on doing something clever with the birds-on-bat thing, and maybe even the arch. Any suggestions would be cool, too!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still alive, guys! After a really busy and (partly) sick week or two or so, I finally got around to completing Miami!

National League EAST
Atlético Miami

Miami, Florida

Founded: 1993

Championships: 2 (1997, 2003)

Miami Marlins Logos

24475977199_8b28b2e2ed_c.jpg

Very simply, the crest for Miami takes elements from their current cap logo and puts it into a Spanish-style, triangular crest. Hints of Miami's famous Art Deco are everywhere in the crest, from the bright color palette to the jagged angles. A crown is created from the stylized marlin in the cap logo. The only nod to the Florida Marlins I could muster in is in darkening the shade of light blue to match their old teal.

The home kit is simply an orange kit with an Art Deco "M" striping pattern. The clash kit is a teal jersey with a smaller "M" Art Deco pattern. For the number font, I decided to not use the current number font to instead use a font that better matches the sleek curves and angles of the crest. The kits are supplied by Puma, and the sponsor is Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.

Up next, Minnesota!

~ Daryl

Archived