Champions League of Hockey • Group E RESULTS (5/7)

timberwolf

ANNOUNCEMENT

I have decided and started to work on the 2023 Champions League. @darkpiranha this is the tournament where crazier and untraditional designs will come into play. Stay tuned. For now, I'll finish up this edition of the CLH, so overlook it for now.

GROUP C - LUKKO (Finland)

Philippo Taranten has quickly become a household name in Finland. His signature number 88, taken from his favourite Blackhawk, has been recognized and famed. Lukko defeated Turku in the Finnish Cup finals and will join Group C.

Another classic design, I apologize. I thought the logo looked nice paired with the arm stripe and Canucks font. Let me know.

image.thumb.png.69cc39a0e2b5611c657f06e5

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Nothing to overlook, @timberwolf (just figured out how to do mentions in these new forums).  Everything you're doing is great, and I can't wait to see all of them lined up in a row or in one aggregate page to really get a sense of the wide range of styles you've actually brought to life here.   But I'm not going to lie, I am really looking forward to something cool.

Alright so since this Champions League is already done (but not posted), most of these designs will be similar (in style) to the ones above it. Not copies, obviously, but most stay on the safe side of the spectrum. Let's continue! I really appreciate all the feedback!

GROUP D - MsHK (Slovakia)

MsHK was the only Slovakian team to qualify to the CLH. Their impressive 4-1 championship win propelled them to the League. Star player Yuri Ljoskic is set to attract the eye of many, with his breakout 97 point year, compared to his weak 39 last year.

This design was based on the Ducks alternate, except I mimicked the striping on the hem stripe. Their signature green is paired with black and silver, with gold accents to make the set pop. The green jersey is one of my favourite from the tournament.

image.thumb.png.8f65a70884ebc1a6ef3fdb20

Guest darkpiranha
3 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Unlike the guys above me, I don't think that a traditional and classical jersey is a bad thing. These designs have been great, all around so far. While maybe one or two "out there" jerseys happen, I don't think we need more than that.

I don't think me, or anyone else, said they were 'bad'.  It's just when there's a clear opportunity to go outside the box, I encourage people to take it!   Of course, it all depends on your (the designer's) intent.  If you're trying to create something that is absolutely traditional and would conceivably be something that a real team would commission and choose to produce, then you're going to want to adhere to more rigid criteria.  You're going to make sure logos are the right size.  You're going to put patches where they need to go.  You're going to make sure the proper stripe pattern is put in.  And those are all cool and great.  But if the intent is to create something singularly iconic, which I believe was Timberwolf's plan, then it's not just okay, but necessary to go a little nuts.  The Canada Cup jerseys from the 80's are instantly iconic.  For both good and bad, the upcoming World Cup jerseys are all jerseys you will be able to immediately identify as having been used in the 2016 World Cup.   The fear always is you'll have a certain portion of the population in these forums whining and saying things like "The Oilers would never have a yoke that only goes on one shoulder," or "What are you doing?? The Steelers' look is perfect like it is, and you shouldn't change it."   My response to that is always, "Well, that makes it DOUBLY interesting that in 2027, the Steelers DID opt to go to a red jersey, doesn't it?"  

So while I support Timberwolf in whatever type of jersey he wants to make, however traditional or out there he chooses to go.  PERSONALLY, I'd love to see his design sensibility tackle something a bit more out of the box.  He clearly nailed traditional with this set.  Just like in the real world, if the public outcry against something crazier in 2023 is too loud, then the Champions League can always scale back for 2025, lol.

16 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

I don't think me, or anyone else, said they were 'bad'.  It's just when there's a clear opportunity to go outside the box, I encourage people to take it!   Of course, it all depends on your (the designer's) intent.  If you're trying to create something that is absolutely traditional and would conceivably be something that a real team would commission and choose to produce, then you're going to want to adhere to more rigid criteria.  You're going to make sure logos are the right size.  You're going to put patches where they need to go.  You're going to make sure the proper stripe pattern is put in.  And those are all cool and great.  But if the intent is to create something singularly iconic, which I believe was Timberwolf's plan, then it's not just okay, but necessary to go a little nuts.  The Canada Cup jerseys from the 80's are instantly iconic.  For both good and bad, the upcoming World Cup jerseys are all jerseys you will be able to immediately identify as having been used in the 2016 World Cup.   The fear always is you'll have a certain portion of the population in these forums whining and saying things like "The Oilers would never have a yoke that only goes on one shoulder," or "What are you doing?? The Steelers' look is perfect like it is, and you shouldn't change it."   My response to that is always, "Well, that makes it DOUBLY interesting that in 2027, the Steelers DID opt to go to a red jersey, doesn't it?"  

So while I support Timberwolf in whatever type of jersey he wants to make, however traditional or out there he chooses to go.  PERSONALLY, I'd love to see his design sensibility tackle something a bit more out of the box.  He clearly nailed traditional with this set.  Just like in the real world, if the public outcry against something crazier in 2023 is too loud, then the Champions League can always scale back for 2025, lol.

I'm loving the feedback.

I fully agree with what you guys are saying, which is why decided to go ahead and plan a 2023 series. It's like real life, tournaments will go ahead, plan, and if things don't go as planned, then they redo things.

I'm going to go ahead of schedule and post the last American team tonight. Stay tuned.

LUKKO- Love the simplicity

MsHK  - I don't usually like asymmetrical striping but you made it work. I would add a green outline to the logo on the away though.

I like the simplicity of these jerseys so far because they work. Maybe with a few teams down the line can be outside the box a little. 

IxkieML.png

Guest darkpiranha
6 hours ago, timberwolf said:

Alright so since this Champions League is already done (but not posted), most of these designs will be similar (in style) to the ones above it. Not copies, obviously, but most stay on the safe side of the spectrum. Let's continue! I really appreciate all the feedback!

MsHK was the only Slovakian team to qualify to the CLH. Their impressive 4-1 championship win propelled them to the League. Star player Yuri Ljoskic is set to attract the eye of many, with his breakout 97 point year, compared to his weak 39 last year.

This design was based on the Ducks alternate, except I mimicked the striping on the hem stripe. Their signature green is paired with black and silver, with gold accents to make the set pop. The green jersey is one of my favourite from the tournament.

LOL.  I just went and found this teams ACTUAL jerseys.  Those things were never IN a box, much less needing to go outside of it. In fact, your jerseys are so different than their normal ones as to be considered outside the box.  MSHK_2.JPG

Alright we're going to jump a day ahead of schedule!

GROUP D - NEW YORK RANGERS (USA)

The Rangers have experienced nothing but succes in the last five years. Lundqvist won his elusive Stanley Cup in 2019 and announced that the 2022 season would be his last season. His signature #30 became one of the most sold jerseys of the 21st century. The Rangers made their second Cup final trip in three years, only to fall to Anaheim.

The design was by Brad. He took the old slanted arms and mimicked them to the hem. The bold blue and red and white rock the trademark drop shadow numbers.

image.thumb.png.1a1951ac065f978d2b3e44f6

On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 6:41 AM, timberwolf said:

Probably my favorite of the series.

jersey%20sig_zps1aiiueko.pngD3%20Banners_zps8gift6us.png

And we're going to continue with our first German team!

GROUP D - EISBAREN BERLIN (Germany)

The German champion defeated all three postseason opponents in five games or less, including a 4-1 victory over their runner up. Countryman Simon Olver recorded 20 points in 13 playoff games, breaking a DEL record. Linemates Alf Timonsen and Robert Hadley combined for 23, while goaltender Clemens Krausser shut out 30+ shots for 4 shutouts.

Jay designed these. He took a traditional design and modernized it with a slanted chest stripe. Their colours have a deep blue, bold red, and white, which is most of the logo. Leave C+C!

image.thumb.png.4ba80deab44715c64d5c418b

Okayyyy and we continue! Only 8 teams to go after this one and then we will begin the simulations and see who really is the Champion of Champions....

GROUP D - RED BULL SALZBURG (Austria)

Red Bull Salzburg, like their Munich counterparts, struggled for most of the year, only fielding a bottom seed for the playoffs. A couple upset wins and they made their second trip to the finals in ten years. Their triumph over Graz sent them to the CLH. Star defence Josef Ledin leads the team in assists and PIM, and is a top prospect to become a seasoned veteran at the club.

With two other red/blue teams in their division, and one with a chest stripe, we put more emphasis on red and used a dark navy. Jay designed these!

image.thumb.png.01425bfe9220da4b7874aa81

4 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

I feel like this would have been a great opportunity to make a more "out there" jersey, which I feel would suit the team. For example...

10702.jpg?c=a2

Not to say that these are bad, though. They're still really nice jerseys.

I agree. This would look cool.

IxkieML.png

Alright we missed a day, but that's okay....I'll post two tomorrow and we can get back on the train!

GROUP E - EDINBURGH CAPITALS (United Kingdom)

The only British team to qualify comes with the mighty Capitals. Edinburgh is expected to raise some eyebrows this year, hopefully upsetting some bigger names. Thomas Mavolry leads the Kingdom in points with an impressive 101 point season.

This design relies on colour balance, so it could've been a hit or a miss. Edinburgh is also one of few teams to feature a road jersey that isn't white. They also have one of the only good logos in the EHL. Leave C and C!

image.thumb.png.317cd24d6896518235b13006

Archived