Braves Nicknames on Jerseys

leopard88

This is an interesting UniWatch article about the Braves, as a team, using nicknames instead of surnames on their jerseys for several months in 1976.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15507790/uni-watch-friday-flashback-braves-keep-informal

I remember some of the examples mentioned in the article (Catfish Hunter, Bert Campaneris).  I also seem to remember Blue Moon Odom wearing his nickname on his jersey with the A's.  Besides "He Hate Me" and the other XFL examples, can anyone think of any others in the Big Four?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Actually, I can provide one answer to my own question.

7244731460_628b87d3d8_o.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

. . . and Elvin Hayes with the Rockets.

OK, two answers to my own question.

7244900834_45e1301c8a_o.png

And, no, I didn't click the link in the article that would have shown me both examples.  :blush:

I think the NBA did this for Christmas a couple of years ago.

The Braves one is fascinating...seems to have been done entirely to work in "Channel 17," which Lukas claims the team new would be shot down but the publicity made it valuable anyway.  Turner was a little ahead of his time on uniform gimmicks.  

I honestly did not mind the NBA doing it for Christmas, but I hope this does not ever become commonplace.  "He Hate Me" was amusing for a goofy upstart league.  But "Pistol" just does not seem right to me. Maybe I am too serious.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Rockets also opted to use Rudy Tomjanovich's nickname way back when. I've seen several photos of this and TOMJANOVICH on the back of his jersey, so it was something that was changed at some point.

7244089328_c96b9779d4_o.png

That Rudy T photo is cropped from a larger one that shows another nicknamed uniform:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2013/09/24/miami-heat-and-brooklyn-nets-may-use-player-nicknames-on-jerseys/

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

I think the NBA did this for Christmas a couple of years ago.

The Braves one is fascinating...seems to have been done entirely to work in "Channel 17," which Lukas claims the team new would be shot down but the publicity made it valuable anyway.  Turner was a little ahead of his time on uniform gimmicks.  

I honestly did not mind the NBA doing it for Christmas, but I hope this does not ever become commonplace.  "He Hate Me" was amusing for a goofy upstart league.  But "Pistol" just does not seem right to me. Maybe I am too serious.

I believe for Christmas it was first names, the heat did play the nets and both teams played with nick names on their jerseys. I'm just not for certain what the other team was.

In Arena Football, the Philadelphia Soul started out with RB Chris Ryan sporting "SOULTRAIN" on his nameplate. The AFL quickly put a stop to it, I believe in time for the next game. Up until that point, I don't think anyone else had done it in the AFL. Which is a surprise.

This was done back in the 70's in the ABA and NBA with such players as Ernie DiGregorio (Ernie D), Elvin Hayes (E), Pete Maravich (Pistol), Rudy Tomjanovich (Rudy T), Jan van Breda Kolff (VBK), Walt Bellamy (Bells), Nick Weatherspoon (Spoon) and others.

Archived