New Premier League sleeve patches for 2016/17 onwards

Gothamite

So we'd already had a glimpse of the new Premier League champions patch:

safe_image.php?d=AQBBMrleSu9MaDaO&url=fb

But the league just confirmed it, as well as the patch the other nineteen clubs will be wearing:

And yes, that background texture is baked in.

1000_plchamppatch1617.jpg

Not a big fan.  I don't mind the new lion head, but everything about this (except for the basic circular patch shape) is a downgrade.

Even black would have been an improvement over the purple.  I know that one of the points of the new branding is their ability to constantly re-color, so maybe the purple will be temporary.

Here's the sleeve application:

Screen_Shot_2016_05_14_at_19_38_26.png

I do like the off-center text filling the bottom-left quadrant.  Wonder how many counterfeiters will get it right.

The Cosmos have always had that off-center going on:

New_York_Cosmos_77.png 240px-New_York_Cosmos_2010.svg.png

I should be pretty easy to get right if you know what to look for (use the star on the ball for reference), but it's pretty common to see the badge inadvertently put at an angle.  

Both incarnations of the club has gotten the angle wrong in the past:

Hosftra_OpenCup.jpg

Pele_badlogo.jpg

Leicester City got the angle wrong themselves with Andrea Bocelli's patches during the trophy presentation...

patch_zpsxdxkvs7s.jpg

I too suspect we'll be seeing a fair few wonky applications.

The amount of blank space in the upper right corner of the patch is a bit jarring. Makes it look incomplete.

Overall, not a terrible patch, but I think most of us (myself included) prefer the existing identity.

10 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Leicester City got the angle wrong themselves with Andrea Bocelli's patches during the trophy presentation...

patch_zpsxdxkvs7s.jpg

I too suspect we'll be seeing a fair few wonky applications.

Interesting that the gold trim on the jersey is terminated under the patch. Is that planned? If so I wonder how it will look on replicas with no patches.

4 hours ago, rsaline said:

Interesting that the gold trim on the jersey is terminated under the patch. Is that planned? If so I wonder how it will look on replicas with no patches.

The gold piping tapers out under where the patch sits, it looks fine if none are applied.

14 hours ago, rsaline said:

The gold trim tapers to a point.

lfc-img3.jpg

EDIT: Holy :censored: , I love that color scheme.  The deep, dark royal and bright gold.  Hope it looks half as good on the pitch.

I think it looks good, too. But I'd like it more with white for Leicester. This gives me such a Wimbledon vibe. Another option would be white shorts.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The gold trim tapers to a point.

lfc-img3.jpg

EDIT: Holy :censored: , I love that color scheme.  The deep, dark royal and bright gold.  Hope it looks half as good on the pitch.

Wow, yeah that does look great!

Archived