So I saw someone point out today that the LA Chargers logo that made its rounds today is very sloppy and the alignment on it is atrocious.

So in an attempt to fix that I got carried away and ended up just making something a lot better out of it.

Enjoy

SadPhil.png

Your version is definitely more visually striking but I'm gonna play a little devil's advocate here. I dont think they were ever intending for the original logo's lines to align at that point. Imo the logo itself is fine for what it's supposed to do, and your fix is rather complex. I get what you were going for in the breaks but I'm not a fan of the way they cut into the A and the lightning bolt. An update could do wonders here but that's just my .02

Midway.png

13 hours ago, Midway said:

Your version is definitely more visually striking but I'm gonna play a little devil's advocate here. I dont think they were ever intending for the original logo's lines to align at that point. Imo the logo itself is fine for what it's supposed to do, and your fix is rather complex. I get what you were going for in the breaks but I'm not a fan of the way they cut into the A and the lightning bolt. An update could do wonders here but that's just my .02

Fair points. 

Maybe later tonight or this weekend I can post some of the different variations I had while working on this. There are versions without the letter striping/breaks.

I never really noticed that the alignment of the logo was off, but now that the guy pointed that out, that makes my opinion of that logo even more hateful! Haha. But very good job of fixing that alignment and your way of varying the colors.

(and shoutout to Phillip Rivers).... Lol. :lol:

IMG_7365.PNG

IMG_7364.PNG

The claim of poor alignment in the tweet is false. The top two guidelines were drawn in the wrong location. Look more closely. Use a simple geometric transformation and slide the lower portion of the bolt (the part with tip) vertically until the top and bottom edge aligns with the remaning portion of the bolt. The edges align perfectly straight!

Also the botton guideline is parallel to the bottom of the A, and the top edge of the bolt is parallel to the top of both the L and A. 

When you realize this... It is quite a good logo.

On 1/13/2017 at 0:52 AM, SplashBoogie said:

Phillip Rivers lurking in the bg is terrifying.

That's what Drew Brees said before he went to New Orleans.

All jokes aside, I like your version way better than the rush job the Chargers trotted out there.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 1/13/2017 at 10:13 PM, Whitefoot said:

The claim of poor alignment in the tweet is false. The top two guidelines were drawn in the wrong location. Look more closely. Use a simple geometric transformation and slide the lower portion of the bolt (the part with tip) vertically until the top and bottom edge aligns with the remaning portion of the bolt. The edges align perfectly straight!

Also the botton guideline is parallel to the bottom of the A, and the top edge of the bolt is parallel to the top of both the L and A. 

When you realize this... It is quite a good logo.

Oh my, good points. Guess I didn't look at it hard enough. Either way I'm still fine with the logo.

I never hated the logo, I think people just hate it because of the situation, which is unfair to the logo. 

7 hours ago, Dbroalexander said:

Here are some of the other versions I explored while working on this.

LA2.png

The first two are excellent.

Just that I don't think the whole Chargers thing with the blue and yellow lines passing through works that well with the LA mark.

Archived