Aussie Rules Football Logos

rmered

It appears that some Australian teams use clean-line American-style logos, while others opt for the ornate British-style logos. Any reason for that?

Well, back in the 70s and 80s pretty much every team had a similar logo... a 'shield' design with the only difference being what was inside the shield, and the colours. Now, teams have been given free-reign over how to design their logos, so some have chosen to go with traditional logos (British style, coat-of-arms, that kind of thing) whereas others have gone modern American clean-line style. The older clubs (Carlton, Collingwood, St. Kilda) usually opt for traditional logos to embrace their history, but Essendon is an older club with a new logo, so it really depends on the team's tastes.

Personally, this is what I think of the logos:

Adelaide: The lettering looks out of place, and the crow looks retarded. I don't like their colours either.

Brisbane: Gradiant alert!! Also, why did they put the AFL logo in there? They're the only team to do it, and I don't understand why.

Carlton: One of my favourites... the roman style is great for such an Italian/Greek team.

Collingwood: Pretty good... don't like the use of the Australian flag, like they're claiming that they're "THE Australian team".

Essendon: I like the shape, but the plane looks a bit cartoony.

Fremantle: Love it... they do things differently in Freo, and I like that. :D

Geelong: Meh... a bit boring.

Hawthorn: HATE this one. The hawk looks so :censored:... little wavey lines and plop, doesn't look fierce at all.

Kangaroos: Don't really like this one either... and I liked them better with a really deep blue.

Melbourne: Don't like the M, don't really like the demon... they could have done so much better with a name like the Demons.

Port: Love it... very solid looking, screams toughness to me. Great logo.

Richmond: The tiger seems a bit too detailed, but other than that it's not bad. The little ribbon at the bottom seems silly.

St. Kilda: Like Geelong, just a bit boring... I like their secondary logo better, with just STK.

Sydney: Really good way to incorporate the Opera House and a swan, and the V from the South Melbourne days is great too.

West Coast: I think my high school design teacher designed this logo... but I don't like it. The trailing lines seems really cluttered and weird. The beak is fluffed up too.

Western Bulldogs: It was better when they had a triangular design... was heaps better than the round one.

1 = fremantle dockers, 2 = north melbourne kangaroos, 3 = sydney swans, 4= carlton blues, 5 = collingwood magpies, 6 = western bulldogs, 7= melbourne demons, 8=essendon bombers, 9 = hawthorn hawks, 10 = geelong cats, 11= west coast eagles, 12 = port adelaide power, 13= adelaide crows, 14= richmond tigers, 15 = brisbane lions, 16 = st. kilda saints

At least the Aussie Rules logos are not predominately cartoon like characters used to sell to children in stores. I remember when teams such as the Toronto Raptors and Houston Rockets released probably the two most horrific jerseys ever about 10-years-ago. I wish more teams used basic looking logos that can stand the test of time (exp. Red Wings, Packers, Canadiens, Leafs, Tigers "D")

if you look at the sydney swans logo, the white around the swan is shaped like the sydney opera house. i dont know if anyone noticed that or not (i did cause im an architecture major lol), but it really ties in the logo to the city

if you look at the sydney swans logo, the white around the swan is shaped like the sydney opera house. i dont know if anyone noticed that or not (i did cause im an architecture major lol), but it really ties in the logo to the city

i don't think that the swans realise that there aint white swans in Australia- just black ones and yeah the opera house is tied in nicely - have you seen there guernseys??? if not i'll post them....

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived