Three More Years for Selig

JamesCraven

Bug Selig, Baseball's Interim Commisioner for Life, has recieved a three-year contract extention until 2009...if he so chooses.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Bug Selig, Baseball's Interim Commisioner for Life, has recieved a three-year contract extention until 2009...if he so chooses.

Who throws out these contracts anyways? Who decides if he stays in office or not?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I read in the article that he was 70, which surprised me. I always thought he was in his early 60's at the oldest....

It's just too bad that he's not in his mid 80's.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Morons Inc will continue to be MLB lets just hope they get the Expos situation straightened out finally they cant be allowed to be owned by all 29 teams any more.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They are really stupid aren't they.

Or really smart. Selig could just be putty in their hands. Why change the guy sitting in the throne if he already does your bidding? Just a thought.

Exactly, he's a former owner so they know they can control him. That was the problem they had with Vincent, they couldn't control him so they forced him out and replaced him with Selig.

Why do you think I've been using that very line for, oh, say, THE LAST TWELVE YEARS!?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Like Jkr Said, Selig is the perfect commissioner for the Owners. Instead of Uberoth or Vincent, you got a guy who's all in it for the money. Think of all the improvements Bud has made to the game....Wall ads, tons of new stadiums, changeable ads behind home plate, the contraction spectacle, the Boston/Florida/Montreal trade? It's like the Original Six years in hockey, whatever the owners want, the owners get.

I personally think the commissioner should be chosen by 2/3 of the owners and 2/3 of the players.

I agree that's the way it should be done have both the owners and players have a say. The commissionership was originally someone independent of baseball to over see baseball for the good of the game. If both had a say it would get back to that where the commissioner acts in the best interest in baseball. If there was labor problems they could be resolved without a strike becuase the commissioner would try to make a deal that is fair to both sides so he could keep his job.

I've heard this in the recent past that whenever Selig is done and they have to pick a new commish that a name being thrown around is George W. Bush.

Who throws out these contracts anyways? Who decides if he stays in office or not?

The owners. I think it's a 2/3rds majority of each league that has to approve an extension, but I'd have to check my copy of the Major League Constitution.

nav-logo.png

I personally think the commissioner should be chosen by 2/3 of the owners and 2/3 of the players.

I agree that's the way it should be done have both the owners and players have a say. The commissionership was originally someone independent of baseball to over see baseball for the good of the game. If both had a say it would get back to that where the commissioner acts in the best interest in baseball. If there was labor problems they could be resolved without a strike becuase the commissioner would try to make a deal that is fair to both sides so he could keep his job.

I've heard this in the recent past that whenever Selig is done and they have to pick a new commish that a name being thrown around is George W. Bush.

might as well put george w. as commish. its not like he can do any worse to baseball than selig or can he?. :D

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Found it. Under the latest rendition of the Major League Constitution:

-- A Commissioner is elected for a term of at least three years, but it may be for a longer period if the clubs specify. B.B. (Before Bud), Commissioners were elected to 7-year terms.

-- Re-election of a Commissioner can be considered at a joint owners meeting held between six and fifteen months prior to the expiration of the current Commissioner's term.

-- Initial election requires a 3/4 majority of all teams, including at least 5 from each league.

-- Re-election requires a simple majority of all teams, but must include at least 5 from each league.

nav-logo.png

What has he done that is so bad for baseball? New stadiumsare bad? Advertising is bad? Ultra ich players are bad, i'm sure they don't think so.

He's been trying to implement drug testing, the union is fighting the tests. Attendance is shooting through the roof, baseball is as strong as it has ever been. The worst guys in the leagues are millionaires now.

He's tried to implement umpire standards, with Questec. The umps don't like it and gotten a few players to join in their protest. But that because both are unions and stick together, even thogh umps are becoming more and more antagonistic; and trying to become a bigger part of the game.

So the Expos don't have a home, they've never had support or a decent stadium. WOW, an all-star game ended in a tie.

What is the commish supposed to do add an extra base to the field, more innings, less positions? The game has been played basically the same, for what 140 years.

The commishioner is there for the business side of the game which is the owner, that's who he represents. To think a commishioner can represent both player and owners in a labor dispute is ridiculous. The players have Fehr, and the owners have Selig. Every sport is the same.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

As far as the whole umpire thing is concerned, here's what I would do: I would put Questec in every park. Rather than being graded on whether an umpire's strike zone conforms with the rulebook, they should be graded on the consistency of their strike zone. If they are giving one pitcher a few inches outside or up , they should give the other pitcher the same leeway. Also, a few things, such as whether a home run is fair or foul, and whether a player is safe or out at one of the bases, should be reviewable by the manager (2 challenges per game, in the first 8 innings) or upstairs (9th inning and later).

And while we're at it, let's rename the seventh-inning stretch "Halftime"!

Look, baseball preaches tradition, and now they want computers to dictate the strike zone..and all this other inane crap.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Archived