Patriotic uniforms

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's part of the teams heritage, brand, or nickname and color pallet, then go for it.  If it's not, subtly is best and less is more.

I think the "OMG WE GOTTA DO EVERYTHING!!!!!!!" is disingenuous and ends up having the opposite affect as what was intended.  So when a team with purple and white as their main colors all of a sudden goes all R/W/B... it's just a turn off.  But if that same purple and white team adds an American Flag patch or an Armed Forces sticker... I think that does far more than the over-the-top approach. 

On 3/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, zigbazah said:

Mizzou wore a tribute to the 117 Tigers who died in World War 1. The Missouri seal in on the helmet, the name of a fallen soldier on the back. 

2s01rmo.jpg

rkvtkw.jpg

4gnnmp.png

This struck me as very classy. Subtle but poignant.

I always wondered the purpose of that out of place blue flag on the Flames uni. Was it just a finger to Edmonton saying "We're Alberta's Team!" 

I've grown to accept it as being part of the furniture. It doesn't really bother me. Still weird. And despite incorporating black in one way or another for 24 years, it still doesn't properly fit as a part of the the Calgary Flames identity

On 3/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, Quillz said:

On a slightly related note, are overly "America!!!" uniforms (which I hate for the reasons mentioned, they are overdone, gaudy and thus usually have no real meaning) an American thing? I'm not well-versed on a lot of other nations, but I can't recall seeing a Canadian team effectively wearing a Canadian flag uniform (although the maple leaf is common). Does the UK have teams wearing patriotic Union Jack uniforms?

Winnipeg Goldeyes:

spacer.png

Vancouver Canadians:

6863735.jpg?size=640x420

Manitoba Moose:

moosecanada.jpg

And not to get into the whole Quebec nationhood debate, but...:

71o0FPBR-HL._SX466_.jpg

Archived