Updated Warner Bros. logo

cajunaggie08

I usually like the ditching of bevels, shadows, and other aspects of faux-3D.  And I like it here, too, as there should definitely be a 2D version of the WB logo.

But this is one case where I don't hate the 3D stuff.  I hope that the company finds applications for both versions of the logo.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, SFGiants58 said:

#BringBackSaulBass

1105px-Warner_logo_by_Saul_Bass_sans_text.svg.png

As a kid, I hated the Saul Bass logo because it represented some of the most terrible Looney Tunes cartoons.  The 1940s-1960s were the golden era of cartoons.  Once you got to the late 60s and into the 70s, the animation got lazy, the sound effects were odd and unmatched to the action, and the plots were generally more absurd and surrealist. 

latest?cb=20141007105721

Even beyond Looney Tunes, this same trend of sloppy cartoons continued into Tom & Jerry, as well as other series.  When I was young I had no idea about studios or designs, so I just sort of associated the Saul Bass logo with crappy cartoons. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, pianoknight said:

As a kid, I hated the Saul Bass logo because it represented some of the most terrible Looney Tunes cartoons.  The 1940s-1960s were the golden era of cartoons.  Once you got to the late 60s and into the 70s, the animation got lazy, the sound effects were odd and unmatched to the action, and the plots were generally more absurd and surrealist. 

latest?cb=20141007105721

The logos that were used in the 1960s, after Warner Brothers closed its cartoon division and contracted out the production of cartoons, were these:

Image result for 1960s wb logo               Image result for 1960s wb logo

Even the opening theme music is demented!  And the music in the cartoons is generic.  No more of the Carl Stalling masterpieces or the great Milt Franklyn pieces.  Instead, the music credited to Bill Lava consisted of one or two different tunes, repeated for all cartoons.  Yuck.

The Saul Bass logo came out in the 1970s, and actually coincided with a kind of revival of the Warner Brothers cartoons.  New linking material was produced for the Saturday morning anthology shows and the primetime specials, and eventually for the movies beginning with 1979's The Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Movie.  While the standard of production wasn't up to that of the golden age of the 1940s and 1950s, neither was it as bad as the nadir of the 1960s.

1 hour ago, pianoknight said:

Even beyond Looney Tunes, this same trend of sloppy cartoons continued into Tom & Jerry, as well as other series.  

It sure did.  The 1970s and 1980s were a time when cartoons really hit the skids artistically.  The decline had begun with the introduction of "limited animation" in the 1960s; but some of the cartoons produced with that technique (Yogi Bear, the Flintstones) had charm.  But, by the 1970s and 1980s, cartoons were garbage, being mostly full-length ads for products such as G.I. Joe dolls.

Then in the 1990s John K. saved the day with Ren and Stimpy; and Steven Speilberg restored all the old cartooning standards with Animaniacs.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I had a big boxed set of Looney Tunes tapes that I would watch at my grandparents' house. Whenever cartoons had the weird Warners logos, especially the triangles and semicircles, even then I knew they would be bad. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, I guess in my mind I was conflating the abstract Warner logo with the Saul Bass one.

1962_Looney_Tunes_intro.jpg

I suppose the inverse is true, though, which is perhaps why my child brain make that assumption.  The classic WB logo generally meant cartoon greatness.  Anything that wasn't a Shielded W-B was almost guaranteed crap. 

Warner_Bros._Cartoons_(1949).jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived