Proposed NBA Changes for 2021-2022

agentrygraphics

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Playoffs are great, but not when they are so bloated that they involve more than half the league.  Qualifying for the playoffs should be a privilege reserved only for the elite teams that have earned it over the long season.  Nothing beats the baseball postseason through 1993, which was a competition solely amongst champions.

Anyway, I have already said that I understand that this will never happen in the NBA because it would make the playoffs much shorter. But this sort of playoff format would be far more exciting. 

I don't agree with the opinion that the NBA needs division-only winners, especially since NBA divisions are basically just a formality with no real stakes or rivalries. But I do agree NBA playoffs are bloated too much. It's crazy to me that they're thinking of expanding the NBA extra games for a pseudo-wildcard. Money talks, but you think someone higher up would care about the quality of the product. Who wants to see two 30-win teams play against each other for a three or five game series?

The NBA should have a format like the NFL. A best-of-five between the 3-6 and 4-5 and then re-seed for a best-of-seven. But this will never happen. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The division-winner thing only is fine and makes sense... for amateur sports where the games aren't played for the purpose of charging people hundreds of dollars to provide entertainment

Let's not forget - PRO SPORTS IS ABOUT ENTERTAINMENT - not competition.  Winning is usually entertaining, so giving teams more opportunities to win something gives their fans reason to pay ridiculous prices and watch the on TV.  Why on earth would anyone go watch a team that's season is effectively over three weeks in, because they're in a division with a behemoth team?  I'll grant that there's too many teams in the playoffs and that they should be weighted more in favor of the higher-ranked teams, but eliminating teams would really hurt the teams that only draw because they can still 'win' a playoff spot.

There's also the case of an elite team that loses its star player for the first two months of the season because of a freak injury.  Once he comes back, they're clearly the best team, but fell behind and won't win their division.  It's silly to deny them a chance to play for the championship, when at the end of the year, they were clearly the best team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, pepis21 said:

Instead of league tournament try to reach an arrangement with FIBA and EuroLeague and do something similar to FIFA Club World Cup with BCL, CLA, AAC, BAL and EuroLeague winners.

Wow I didn't know, but actually something similar to my concept exist and it's called FIBA Intercontinental cup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIBA_Intercontinental_Cup

4r2eer.png

On 1/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, fnz said:

If the goal is to get the best two teams in the Finals, just eliminate the playoffs and put the two best teams there.

The Bowl Championship Series called. They want their idea back.

4 minutes ago, fnz said:

Oh I'm not advocating for the idea. It's a :censored:ty idea. The NBA playoffs are fine. I think most of the people who them changed aren't going to watch them anyway.

That's a true statement. A lot of NBA writers prefer fantasy basketball to real basketball and don't like watching the games. I don't understand why.

People who are fans of the league like watching games and don't want less of them. And yes, I'm no true scotsman-ing NBA fandom.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 1 year later...

1 home and 1 away game for all teams - that is equal to 60 games in regular season. Playoffs - knockout faze - World Cup Championship style - 1 game - 1 chance - USE IT WISELY! Also start season in October and not November. Preseason in September. Draft in July. Done! Simply as that. With less games, much earlier start, players will be playing in full power all season + playoffs, less injuries. Plus, the countries representative international games will finally have merit, since so many international players play in NBA and many Americans play in Europe and Asia. Thus we have basketball whole year and not a single player will be tired to the point of death!

13 hours ago, Krchmarus said:

1 home and 1 away game for all teams - that is equal to 60 games in regular season. 

Wouldn't that be 58 games?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe he's assuming they go to 31 teams. 

I don't know. I feel like any cutback in the schedule would never be enough for some fans. If they went to 58 games, it'd be even better if they went to 48. As for how everyone keeps making money in this scenario, I don't know, maybe you turn the rest of the inventory into, like, live panel discussions or something where you go to an arena to hear Kyrie Irving share various big thoughts on things, or maybe they do skills competitions without having to gun it like they would in a real game. Maybe they can put on talent shows.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived