DoctaC's NBA Concepts (Mavs Added, Cavs Updates 5/15)

DoctaC

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's better, but the Statement doesn't work at all. It needs some kind of wordmark to really work, and I will say I prefer the teal of the real Charlotte Hornets instead of the blue from the New Orleans Hornets. (Keep in mind those are technically two different teams - the Pelicans have the NOLA Hornets' history while CLT Hornets have the OG Hornets and Bobcats history. Basically each team has the history of any NBA team in that city named the Hornets.) The City jersey is much, much better and I really like the wordmark on the Icon and Association. Still not sold on the honeycombs in the numbers, but that's a minor complaint that I could definitely get used to. This is a great step forward, just a couple things to fix to really elevate it.

the user formerly known as cdclt

10 minutes ago, ChiCity95 said:

The first two jerseys are legit, the statement one needs a wordmark (maybe "BEES" or something like that), and I'm not too hopped up about that CLT one (I'm not from Charlotte, so I don't know what that means).

"BEES" wouldn't work, that's not a nickname for the team. CLT is the code for Charlotte-Douglass Airport and the de facto abbreviation for Charlotte, like "ATL" is for Atlanta" or "PDX" is for Portland.

4 hours ago, DoctaC said:

Made some changes to the Hornets, let me know what you think:

spacer.png

- New word marks on the icon and association editions, one now says "Charlotte" instead of "Hornets."

- Kept the same light blue color, but used the purple from the '90s.

- New statement edition.

- New city edition based off of NASCAR, as Charlotte is a major NASCAR hub.

IMO The first version looks a lot better.

SqZ68qe.png

tL45BrE.png

The City is on point now, great representation of NASCAR and its relation to Charlotte. Not sold on the honeycomb pattern in really anything (notice the team doesn't place a whole lot of emphasis on it), but I think just a teal version of the Home/Away would be ideal. I still believe that the whole set would look better with the actual teal the Hornets use  instead of the blue the NOLA Hornets used. I'd also recommend putting the teal on the collar of the City just for a bit more color there. 

3 hours ago, San Diego said:

CLT is not a good choice. For obvious reasons. Think about it...

Why not? It's the locally accepted abbreviation for Charlotte, used for Charlotte-Douglass Airport, the Charlotte Knights, and even MLS. 

48 minutes ago, mkfjtiger said:

When I see "CLT" I don't think of Charlotte.  But then again I don't see CLT much anyway. 

It's basically to Charlotte what "ATL" is to Atlanta. It's commonly accepted around the area, seen on merch and other applications. It's not as widespread as ATL but you can see where it comes from: CharLoTte -> CLT.

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

Well that seems a bit immature, now doesn't it?

The thing is, how mature is the average sports fan? I feel like the average person reading CLT would think about it for at least a brief second. I think it's a great design and is the perfect way to tie into the community, it's just that it would probably get meme'd to oblivion in real life

Archived