Should uniform elements tie back to the logo?

This has been in my mind for quite some time now, but it was the Falcons releasing their updated uniforms (and every subsequent concept on the boards correcting their mistakes) that really pushed it to the forefront. Seemingly every concept I see, and even the Falcons themselves in their actual uniforms, base their uniform design off the sharp, angular wings of the falcon logo.

I realize that like everything else it really should be treated on a case by case basis, but I'm curious what everyone has a preference for. Personally, I'm more impressed with a solid looking uniform that DOES NOT use an shapes/design from their logo. There's just more visual elements to look at, rather than repeated elements of the logo that is already present. I'm drawn a lot more to sets like the one below, which is coincidentally one of my favorite uniforms of all time. 

Pu4cQhI.jpg

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're going for, but I like how on the Flyers' '90s set and the Capitals current home & aways the captains' patches match the logo, rather than the numbers or player names.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

overall harmony is the goal and thats not necessarily achieved by repetition of limited elements. you can have contrast and still get there, but generally i would say the most important part of the football uni is the helmet and whatever is placed on it helps drives the visuals of the rest of the uni. UNC uniforms are an example of good harmony where every element is a simple geometric and blocky shape. the logo and numbers are both mono-weight, white and outlined in blue. everything is solid color, no gradients or mixing of finishes. 

i think new ATL uniforms actually dont do a great job of reflecting the logo. its easy to focus on the tapered red lines and say "repeat that everywhere" but the 2 longest lines/shapes of the logo are curved. adding some roundness throughout the uniform would achieve better harmony.

theres more done to this, but just adding some curves back into the numbers alone i think helps a lot and starts achieving that harmony, which begins at the logo

spacer.png 

the point is everything has to compliment and work together. i think the Bears are a good example where you find contrasting shapes but the proportions of those elements and shared colors tie it all together nicely. the rounded, thin-ish numbers pair perfectly with the logo and the rectangular stripes are tied in with decent color application— im not crazy about the pants stripe but it works well enough.

spacer.png

lets push it more though, look at the Giants. its "visual jazz" where each part of the uniform is almost doing its own thing but there is a good harmony where it all works. would the jersey be better if it had blue in it? i don't believe so; it would be less unique and not better, but different. the numbers and stripes are not influenced but the logo, but again, it works really well. even the anti-gray face masks people can't hate on this one :)

spacer.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

9 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

lets push it more though, look at the Giants. its "visual jazz" where each part of the uniform is almost doing its own thing but there is a good harmony where it all works. would the jersey be better if it had blue in it? i don't believe so; it would be less unique and not better, but different. the numbers and stripes are not influenced but the logo, but again, it works really well. even the anti-gray face masks people can't hate on this one :)

spacer.png

I like the Giants road jersey as a separate entity from the home jersey. Together? The fact that both are devoid of one color present in the other just doesn’t sit right with me. I think the set would look a lot better if the home blue jersey utilized white matching sleeve stripes.

5 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I like the Giants road jersey as a separate entity from the home jersey. Together? The fact that both are devoid of one color present in the other just doesn’t sit right with me. I think the set would look a lot better if the home blue jersey utilized white matching sleeve stripes.

well, not everyone likes jazz :) its certainly a "chromatic note" of a jersey. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Like you said it's a case by case basis...like, the bear claw sleeve caps Baylor used to have.  Honestly looked pretty good on them, but if Chicago ever tried that, I guarantee you'd lose count of how many people would call the attempt too gimmicky or trendy for their usual aesthetic.  Then again, for every team that's basically a mass time capsule, you have the weirdo teams like the A's or Bucks that can make almost anything suit them well.

One such element I remember well was the pants the Patriots wore in 93, with the stripe mimicking Flying Elvis while remaining a stripe.  I've been thinking a shoulder version would work on the jersey, kinda like the 95-99 set but less 90's.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

On the other hand, the fact that they have a "red" jersey and a "blue" jersey makes it sit better with me than a balanced home jersey and a by comparison botched road jersey.

Like others have said, it's a case-by-case basis. You've got the Dodgers that have a single red number on the front. The only other place you see red is in their logo. But then you've got teams like the Yankees that also have some red in their logo, yet it's nowhere on their uniforms and it looks fine. That said, I do like consistency with fonts. I think if your logo uses a particular font, that should be present on the uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot of consideration has to be put into which City they play and what the logo looks like!
- City of Pittsburgh flag is Tri Panel Vertical Bands colored as Black / Gold / Black and has been since 1816
- Pittsburgh is known as a Steel town, by 1911 Pittsburgh produced Half the nations steel
- Football Team is named Steelers (after the Steel Industry) and they USE the hypocycloid logo which represents the 3 materials needed to make Steel (Yellow, Red, Blue). Red and Blue is not used on the Steelers uniform. The Team wears Black / Gold (to represent the City in which they play) with the hypocycloid logo on the right side of the helmet. Would the Steelers ICONIC uniform look right if it had Red and Blue infused into it?? However

Penguins came into the NHL in 1967
They originally wore Blue / White uniforms
Rondel Skating Penguin logo was put onto the uniforms in 1968. Featuring a Black and White Penguin with a Gold Triangle behind it (where the Three Rivers that surround the city meet is known as the GOLDEN TRIANGLE)
Black / Gold logo on a Blue / White uniform doesn't make much sense. Even many of the Old Time (Blue / White) players thought the uniforms should be Black / Gold to match the logo and the City in which they played. Uniform change Finally happened Jan. 1980

Archived