One Helmet Rule?

Was this rule ever changed? I saw the NFL was working through some rules changes, and didn't know if they'd ever decided anything with the one-helmet rule. 

If this has already been beaten to death and/or announced, I'm sorry in advance. 

Right now it's still just a rumor, but supposedly they are going to vote on it for the 2021 season. I hope it passes, since there's never been any conclusive evidence that wearing more than one helmet in a season leads to more concussions...I think this was just a CYA move on the NFL's part, and many people have moved on past the CTE issue. Colleges and high schools wear more than one helmet in a year, and NFL players who break theirs are allowed a new one, so the rule never made much sense.

I'm hoping they rescind the rule, which would allow our favorite throwback uniforms on the field once again:

76-96 Buccaneers

60s-90s Patriots

66-70 Falcons

60-63 Cowboys

68-96 Broncos

54-55 Colts

65-77 Jets

74-96 Eagles

63 Steelers

74-87 Chargers

62-63 49ers

76-01 Seahawks

99-17 Titans / 75-98 Oilers

65-69 Redskins

Lets just imagine for a moment the NFL had a rule where each team HAD to have two different color shells, here's what I'm thinking:

NE: Metallic Silver & White

NYJ: Metallic Green & White

MIA: White & White/Aqua Gradient

BUF: White & Red

PIT: Black & Yellow

BAL: Black & Satin Purple

CLE: Orange & Chrome Orange (not saying I'd enjoy this)

CIN: Orange & White

IND: White & Metallic Silver

HOU: Navy & Satin Red

JAC: Black & Metallic Gold

TEN: Navy & White

DEN: Navy & Royal Blue

KC: Red & Matte Black

LAC: White & Navy

LV: Metallic Silver & Matte Black

PHI: Metallic Midnight Green & Kelly Green

DAL: Metallic Silver & White

WAS: Burgundy & Yellow

NYG: Metallic Blue & Navy

GB: Yellow & Leather

CHI: Navy & Matte Navy

DET: Silver & Matte Honolulu Blue

MIN: Satin Purple & Dark Purple

NO: Metallic Gold & Metallic Old Gold

ATL: Satin Black & Red

TB: Metallic Pewter & White

CAR: Metallic Silver & Black

LAR: Metallic Royal Blue & Navy

AZ: White & Satin Copper

SF: Metallic Gold & Metallic Silver

SEA: Navy & Metallic Silver

fiowXOD.png

5 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

Right now it's still just a rumor, but supposedly they are going to vote on it for the 2021 season.

Rumor, yes. Anything more than that is idle (almost misspelled it idol, which is wrong but funny) speculation. The owners didn't know which rules changes they would vote on for this season until the vote was held. The modified onside kickoff, for instance, was withdrawn due to a lack of support. A 2-helmet rule could suffer the same fate, or not even make it to the table next year.

It's where I sit.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, Bluefalcon said:

Right now it's still just a rumor, but supposedly they are going to vote on it for the 2021 season. I hope it passes, since there's never been any conclusive evidence that wearing more than one helmet in a season leads to more concussions...

It was never about concussions. Anyone who mentions concussions, you know they’re not serious and are just trying to misdirect you.  The real danger is the many subconcussive hits that happen on every single play of every single game. 

But even that isn’t what the one-helmet rule is about.  It’s about not forcing players to wear helmets they don’t like. 

Say Matt Ryan loves the AwesomeTech Model X-21, but AwesomeTech phased it out last year in hopes that people will buy the new X-23 instead.  Matt Ryan doesn’t like the X-23, it doesn’t fit his head properly and the fins interfere with his peripheral vision.  

Ordinarily, no problem; his X-21 still meets NFL specs, and he’s still allowed to wear it under league rules.  But here’s where we see the problem; he only has a black one.  He didn’t think to buy duplicates in every color of the rainbow when AwesomeTech discontinued it, so he doesn’t have a red one.  If the Falcons want to hold a throwback game, he’ll have to wear a helmet he doesn’t like.

The one-helmet rule is designed to protect players like Matt Ryan here.  The league can force players into new helmet models under certain circumstances; if an old helmet breaks,

or when a design fails to the league’s advancing safety standards.  But they can’t force players to wear new helmets solely for aesthetic reasons.  Or, worse yet, commercial ones.  

Archived