Los Angeles Angels Update

Lumbergh

I really like this idea! There aren't enough lower case letters on baseball caps. However, I agree with others that this 'a' could be clearer. I think if the top line didn't curve all the way down at the top left, it would read more clearly as an 'a'. Also, the tail on the bottom right seems to extend too low, which makes the logo feel off balance. Combining the bevelling with the little 'a' is a great concept though; I'm looking forward to seeing more iterations of it!

13 hours ago, jwinters said:

I really like this idea! There aren't enough lower case letters on baseball caps. However, I agree with others that this 'a' could be clearer. I think if the top line didn't curve all the way down at the top left, it would read more clearly as an 'a'. Also, the tail on the bottom right seems to extend too low, which makes the logo feel off balance. Combining the bevelling with the little 'a' is a great concept though; I'm looking forward to seeing more iterations of it!

Great points, thanks!

Came back and just noticed another thing: the lighting on the bezel doesn't make sense.  If this "a" was a physical object, it'd be impossible to have light and dark edges look like that from a single light source.  When adding a bezel to typography, a common way of making it look natural is having segments facing north and east one color, and segments facing south and west the other color.  Here, the top and bottom of the "a" has different lighting than the middle bar, which couldn't exist in 3D space.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

I really like this for what it is, but I think in general beveling on baseball logos is starting to become a thing of the past. It’s for that reason that the Angels’ current logo is starting to look dated. Regardless, this is a really nice update of that early “a” logo. 

I really like the idea...it's just a weird shape right now. I think the top being the same width as the bottom kind of throws it off too...the vintage logo had a wider base than the top. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, miltonANDlumbergh said:

Also, the tail on the bottom has always been in line with the rest of the a, I think it just seems lower:

spacer.png

While that's technically the case, as you've illustrated above, it doesn't come off as in line with the bottom of the letter to the naked eye. If you were to make the tail smaller and remove the "serif" from the arm, it wouldn't feel so heavy in the top-left and bottom-right corners.

Also, if you're going to keep the serif on the arm, you should check the lighting on the beveling as all other left-side vertical faces are lighter. Plus, the shadow on the halo is a little odd if the whole thing is lit from the bottom and left.

I hope that's not too critical. I think you're moving in the right direction, but it's still a little off.

A solid update, and the horizontal bezels are perfect, but now the vertical bezels are mismatched; the lighting of the finial of the "a" should be flipped like Ted mentioned.  To elaborate further on what Ted was saying, the bowl of a double story "a" usually descends a bit, but so does the tail when it's curled like yours does.  I wouldn't raise the tail too much, but it could be raised a tad.

double.png

Great work so far!

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

I went back to the drawing board and redesigned the "a" with smoother corners and fixed the tail. From there, I took the "a" and created the "ngels" lettering from it. I removed the bevels and removed the predominant red look. I think the Angels have navy more embedded into their history than red, and there are too many red teams (you could say the same about navy but it works). Here's what I've got so far, uniforms coming soon:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

Looks great, only thing I would do would be to switch out the logo on the sleeve for something a la this: Png

it's funny you say this, I was actually working on updating that logo and doing just that.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:55 PM, miltonANDlumbergh said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The script is so clean, It's such an interesting concept to do lower case, It adds a retro flare but updated. I've always thought the Trout era Angels need a Blue alt. 

Is there any way to match the free rounded script with the numbers? It doesn't look bad at all, I was just thinking though that the script is rounded edges but the numbers are sharp edges

pittsburghbanner.jpg

Archived