NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

So I was sitting and trying to figure out what to do with both Portland and San Diego, a process in which I discovered I had some serious flaws to work out on SD, so I shifted my energy towards Portland and what to do there, and as I finished my whiskey and Coke, I looked at the Pendleton bottle (not an ad, I swear) and I had the answers I needed. 

iTNseP3.png

And thus the Portland Wranglers were born. So how'd we get here? In my research, I discovered that outside of early, fledgling hockey leagues, there has never really been a major/minor pro hockey presence in Portland. With that in mind, the two major hockey teams that popped up were the Buckaroos and the Rosebuds, both of which will lend something to this new franchise. The name was born from the Buckaroos in a way, but also from the Pendleton Roundup, one of the more famous rodeos in the Western US. So the primary logo is of a cowboy on a horse preparing to throw his lasso. The colors are a dark shade of brown, a shade of tan, and a rosy red, an homage to Portland's nickname, the City of Roses. The secondary logo uses this as well, with a Rose set into the counter-space of the letter P from the static wordmark. The third logo, is a script logo that homages the Buckaroos uniforms from the early 70's in the WHL (not the major junior league) .  The wordmarks and fonts are western inspired without being too completely over the top. 

aSoEnJE.png

Home - Away: The home and away uniforms are inspired by the same Buckaroos uniforms from above, with two sets of stripes on the sleeves that are mirrored on the socks for their respective uniforms. Rose logo on the shoulders of both jerseys, primary logo on the chest of both as well. Rose logo on the front of the pants. Also, Portland joins Minnesota as the other team with a non-white main jersey. 

gw8BzwF.png

Alternate: Playing off the City of Rose nickname, as well as the hockey history of Portland, the alternate has a little bit of everything. The script logo now takes its place on the chest, with the rose logo underneath, almost baseball style. The stripe turns into a northwestern stripe on the sleeves and on the socks. On the jersey sleeves, subtle repeating stripes which homage the Rosebuds uniforms from the early 1900's.

C&C welcome!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Expansion: Portland
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/9/2021 at 2:31 PM, colinturner95 said:

LFwDt1Z.png

I'm not sure that I'd elevate this to full-time alternate, but this is something I think I'd bring out for special occasions or the eventual special event game. I used elements from the Extravehicular Mobility Unit, the suit you most commonly see the astronauts in, usually when their outside the ISS, which is where the solid stripe on the sleeves, hem line and on the pants comes from. The patch on the front also comes from those suits. The black lines on the sleeves, as well as the stripes on the socks come from the more modern Sokol Launch and Entry Suit. 

You can see the suits at the link posted below. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacesuit-design-history-timeline-changes-nasa-2018-3#sokol-launch-and-entry-suit-present-8

YES!!!! this looks great. 

ZUH86xc.png

4 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

So I was sitting and trying to figure out what to do with both Portland and San Diego, a process in which I discovered I had some serious flaws to work out on SD, so I shifted my energy towards Portland and what to do there, and as I finished my whiskey and Coke, I looked at the Pendleton bottle (not an ad, I swear) and I had the answers I needed. 

iTNseP3.png

And thus the Portland Wranglers were born. So how'd we get here? In my research, I discovered that outside of early, fledgling hockey leagues, there has never really been a major/minor pro hockey presence in Portland. With that in mind, the two major hockey teams that popped up were the Buckaroos and the Rosebuds, both of which will lend something to this new franchise. The name was born from the Buckaroos in a way, but also from the Pendleton Roundup, one of the more famous rodeos in the Western US. So the primary logo is of a cowboy on a horse preparing to throw his lasso. The colors are a dark shade of brown, a shade of tan, and a rosy red, an homage to Portland's nickname, the City of Roses. The secondary logo uses this as well, with a Rose set into the counter-space of the letter P from the static wordmark. The third logo, is a script logo that homages the Buckaroos uniforms from the early 70's in the WHL (not the major junior league) .  The wordmarks and fonts are western inspired without being too completely over the top. 

aSoEnJE.png

Home - Away: The home and away uniforms are inspired by the same Buckaroos uniforms from above, with two sets of stripes on the sleeves that are mirrored on the socks for their respective uniforms. Rose logo on the shoulders of both jerseys, primary logo on the chest of both as well. Rose logo on the front of the pants. Also, Portland joins Minnesota as the other team with a non-white main jersey. 

gw8BzwF.png

Alternate: Playing off the City of Rose nickname, as well as the hockey history of Portland, the alternate has a little bit of everything. The script logo now takes its place on the chest, with the rose logo underneath, almost baseball style. The stripe turns into a northwestern stripe on the sleeves and on the socks. On the jersey sleeves, subtle repeating stripes which homage the Rosebuds uniforms from the early 1900's.

C&C welcome!

I like the designs a lot; just worried it may seem a little too close to the Coyotes. Still looks great and I love your originality when coming up with these teams

ZUH86xc.png

So our final Expansion entry and final team entry here is another WHA revival, as well as the least likely of all of these expansion concepts and let me tell you why. 

SdML83x.png

If you remember back to the expansion map, you might remember a teal and orange NHL shield in San Diego. Well my dumbass just conveniently forgot that I dropped them into the only division in the NHL with the team that brought teal back to the NHL as well as in this universe, one of the two teams that makes orange their primary color. Okay so that was the first issue to reconcile, which I thought I did well with the addition of navy, because lets be honest, if the WHA Mariners had survived into the 90's, you can probably imagine them going navy like many other royal blue teams. 

But all that aside, like I mentioned, a WHA revival of a team that, outside of inability to get fans in the stands, really had three fairly successful seasons. Also with other teams, such as the defunct Fleet of the AAF and the presence of Naval Base SD, the Mariners made sense. Though the Padres' MLB affiliate, the Seattle Mariners might have issue with another major league team using the mariners nickname, but these are just concepts after all. 

0AaaC86.png

Home - Away:  In contrast to the WHA Mariners, the uniforms are primarily blue. The stripes are based on those uniforms, with some changes, like the teal being added onto the outside of the stripes. Mariners-ship wheel logo on the chest, SD anchor on the shoulders. Collar bone stripes around the yokes. Pants have the same stripes down the sides, socks match their jerseys. Biggest changes between home and away, is the addition of a colored yoke, as well as the logo reading San Diego. 

k2NMAai.png

Alternate: So the issue of colors came back up again, in what color was the alternate going to be? Also I just noticed that I forgot to remove the "Legacy" from the thing. I ultimately went with the teal as the alternate, just based solely on the uniqueness factor. There's more orange in the league than teal. Biggest changes from the home and away is the chest logo is gone, replaced with a Rangers-style San Diego wordmark, in homage again, to the previous incarnation of the Mariners. 

And just like that folks, its all said and done. Thanks for following along, and I'm sure I'll see y'all again in another concept series!

On 6/15/2021 at 4:32 PM, johne9109 said:

I like the designs a lot; just worried it may seem a little too close to the Coyotes. Still looks great and I love your originality when coming up with these teams

It does seem pretty similar, but I think that the colors and jerseys are different enough, plus they'd be in different divisions, so there'd be minimal overlap and confusion I think. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

Archived