NHL by Nike: Expansion: San Diego

colinturner95

On 3/30/2021 at 11:00 AM, colinturner95 said:

y5ECs6J.png

Home - Away: Unlike the Avalanche, the Blues are not in need and therefore are not getting a top to bottom make over. The biggest, and really, only changes are the elimination of the gap in the stripes on the sleeves. They don't do anything for me and for the jerseys in all honesty. Also made the socks match the jerseys, because that was an inexplicable decision IMO. 

XFkWL65.png

Alternate - Back to a navy jersey for the Blues as an alternate. This one leans into the history of the team a little bit more, using the lighter blue from the early days of the team, the alternate logo from the red days as the chest logo, as well as stripes inspired by the throwbacks. Minimal white used throughout, except for the NOB and numbers. Yellow just felt too overpowering here. 

Legacy - With St. Louis set to face off in the next Winter Classic, something I will take on at the end of the team list, I wanted to leave all options open for uniforms there, so their previous Winter Classic jersey gets recycled to the Legacy slot. 

HYBtgxh.png

Reverse Retro - The red is certainly unique, but for the BLUES (named for the music not color, I know), I just don't feel like it clicked. So instead I went with navy instead of red and used the current colors to reverse the 95-98 uniforms. 

C&C welcome!

I was really trying to avoid black or navy blue with the Avs. I think they've got too much going on as it is and need to pare things down a little bit. 

The problem with the current Blues (not including the white numbers) is the navy blue hem.  It makes the navy dominate when the royal should shine more, and more egregious is because the hem and the pants are the same color, it makes the jersey look really small.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, jdavidev said:

The problem with the current Blues (not including the white numbers) is the navy blue hem.  It makes the navy dominate when the royal should shine more, and more egregious is because the hem and the pants are the same color, it makes the jersey look really small.

I've always wondered what the Blues would look like with the exact same jerseys but with royal blue pants, helmets and goves instead of navy. And agreed, they need to bring back the yellow numbers on the home jerseys

On 4/5/2021 at 3:02 PM, colinturner95 said:

CoxdsEY.png

Home - Away: After looking back through the uniforms that the Bruins have worn, I found myself liking the mid 70's-90's uniforms more than the ones with the shoulder yokes. So from there, the design really stayed the same, except I got rid of the shoulder yokes. Since I have a longstanding disagreement with white jerseys with the ends of the sleeves being colored in, I got rid of those in exchange for much smaller trim around the bottom of the sleeves. I also went back to a single color NOB which is much easier to read, especially on the black jersey, Also went back to yellow socks on the home jersey. The all-black looks wrong. 

kKB8CFA.png

Alternate: So I saw this image , featuring Torey Krug (at least I think it's Torey Krug) in a yellow sweatshirt with some historical inspiration from the 1940's Bruins. So I rolled with it. Used the stripes on the sweatshirt, with some vintage white mixed in for some razzle-dazzle. Script Bruins on the chest. Used a closely era appropriate B logo, the same one used on the gold Winter Classic jerseys, on the sleeve stripes. The sweatshirt had a tie-down, I just stuck with the normal collar. I also went with those era pants, so it rounds out as a fauxback-sort of throwback. Just trying to get away from a double black alternate scheme the B's have been going with. 

Legacy: Photos | Bobby Orr: Through the Years

Do I need to say more? 

y4SHljH.png

Reverse Retro - Having gone back to the 90's era uniforms already, keeping the same Reverse Retro would have felt like just another alternate. So instead, I RR'd a uniform I have some history with.  I for some reason think that this is a better take on this jersey than the actual yellow jersey it's based off of. 

So that ends the list of teams who are actually playing this season. I've got plans to take a stab at the Kraken, and then the special events (All-Star, Winter Classic, Stadium Series) and that would wrap us up here. 

C&C welcome! 

I really like these. I would say try a yellow B on the home jersey, but otherwise awesome. The alternate, legacy, and reverse retro are great. 

ZUH86xc.png

Alright. Before we go into the Kraken and Special Events, let's get some last few updates in on the last five teams. 

On 4/5/2021 at 11:21 PM, Ridleylash said:

A minor hang-up I have with the Caps' jersey set is I personally think doing the Capitol alternate design for either the Legacy or Reverse Retro would be a bit more interesting than just repeating the dark Screaming Eagle design twice for those two slots, especially if you don't want to use the original jerseys. Using a single base design in two color schemes for both feels kinda repetitive.

OkVXxNG.png

Since I have no love for the OG Capitals jerseys, I went back to the black jerseys from the Screaming Eagle days. 

OZANAM9.png

Since I did a similar thing with the Lightning, I reworked their Reverse Retro instead, since I'm not as big on it like I am the Caps RR. I reworked the old EHL's Jacksonville/Florida Rockets with the Lightning colors. While they got their start in Jacksonville, they ended up playing a lot of games in St. Petersburg. 

On 4/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, jdavidev said:

I would stick with your original design.  I don't mind when home and road don't exactly match color balance with each other, unless the color balance is off on the individual uniform (like it currently is).  The only note on those would be the logo gets a little lost in the stripes since the stripes and the logo are balancing all three colors equally.

All that said, the reverse retro is perfect, and my sensibility is to use that to make a complete set with the marroon based home and keep the black pants, gloves and helmet.  I know some people don't like it, but it is still the best look for them.  The black helps frame the colors of the jersey/socks and make it stand out more.  The current look is so damn muddy; it's just a mess.

O4D55ko.png

The final word on the Avalanche from me is this: no reintroducing of black. My goal was to limit the extraneous colors and I think this is the best of the ways to do it. I'm actually gonna go with the extended versions of the stripes, with two different sets of pants, burgundy and steel blue. 

On 4/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, jdavidev said:

On 4/7/2021 at 9:53 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

I've always wondered what the Blues would look like with the exact same jerseys but with royal blue pants, helmets and goves instead of navy. And agreed, they need to bring back the yellow numbers on the home jerseys

yKEO8le.png

Begrudgingly, I went back to yellow numbers on the home, which messes with the balance in my opinion but oh well. On the road, I went and flipped the royal and navy around. I messed with the idea of royal equipment and uh, not a fan so that didn't go very far.  

On 4/9/2021 at 10:08 AM, johne9109 said:

I really like these. I would say try a yellow B on the home jersey, but otherwise awesome. The alternate, legacy, and reverse retro are great. 

loLaWxa.png

Not much really to mess with here. Played with the colors on the logos on the home and away for some more balance. 

I'll take some final thoughts on these and then we can move onto the last few teams/events!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: Updates on the last 5 Teams
6 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

loLaWxa.png

Not much really to mess with here. Played with the colors on the logos on the home and away for some more balance. 

I'll take some final thoughts on these and then we can move onto the last few teams/events!

YES!!!! these look much more balanced. LOVE IT!

ZUH86xc.png

So now having worked through the list of teams who are actually playing this season (Buffalo is still up for debate), it's time to show off the youngest NHL team to join the fraternity:

DGZ3tUn.png

Home & Away: These are not the Seattle Kraken are they? So you're getting a Seattle two-fer here. This first half is what I came up with as a school project before we even knew that the Seattle NHL team was going to be the Kraken. Using the history of flight and aviation, as well as the natural scenery and surroundings in the Seattle area. And while the Seattle Pilots trademark does currently reside in Milwaukee, no reason I can't share this with you guys. To the designs themselves, a lot of this was rooted in NHL 19, (which also explains why Mitch Marner is the jersey model for these) where I first came up with the Pilots idea. Double green forms the base of the colors, a bright gold gets mixed into the bunch, a nod to pilots wings as well as the original baseball Pilots. The primary logo plays off the idea of the pilots' wing pins, set with an S in the middle. On the shoulders, is a Space Needle inspired logo, with the wings taking the place of the observation deck. Socks match their jerseys. Blank pants, primary logo on the front pant leg. 

rfr7gDf.png

Alternate: A bit similar to what Vegas did, their first alternate being a color swap. In this case, the jersey becomes a shade of grey, yellow goes away, as do the primary and secondary logos. A roundel featuring a fighter jet now becomes the main logo used on the jersey and the helmet. Stripes are still the same across the board here. Contrasting nameplate on the back, can't remember the rationale for that, but I liked the look and it stuck around. 

Legacy - While Vegas does have something of a hockey history, it doesn't compare to Seattle's hockey history, which is why that this expansion franchise gets a throwback as opposed to a City jersey. In this case, we throwback to the Seattle Totems, the former professional team, not the WSHL team. This jersey comes from the years 1963-1966. The gloves were a little bit of guesswork as not too many color pictures exist of the team in these jerseys, and a blank white helmet, as this was before the days of helmets being regularly worn. 

fuXPt6C.png

Reverse Retro - Sticking with the retro theme, the Reverse Retro for the Pilots splits time between the Seattle Breakers and Seattle Thunderbirds, the latter of whom would adopt their uniforms after the identity switch. Since I didn't have a dark green jersey, the base is dark green, with large stripes on the sleeves, numbers in the middle of that, with some underarm stripes going from armpit down. The socks and pants are a little bit of guesswork, since the Breakers and Thunderbirds don't have a lot of photographs of the entire uniforms from these days. Some pictures from those days show the team wearing Cooperalls, others from the similar time period showed pants with a large stripe down the side. Socks were even more of a mystery, so I just went with a scalded down version of the jersey stripes. 

If anyone shows any interest in the Pilots identity, I can show y'all more of those logos and that identity. 

BW1zwzB.png

Home & Away: But the Seattle NHL team is the Kraken, not the Pilots. To that point, we haven't even seen these jerseys hit the ice yet, so there's not much change that happens to the home and away. I think the only changes are to the collars, which are now contrasting against their jerseys and the gloves, which now have a little bit more of the team colors added to them. 

OVNEaeL.png

Alternate: Much like the Pilots and Golden Knights, the first alternate for the Kraken isn't much of a departure from the normal home and away jerseys. Light blue base, stripes are pretty much identical to the H/A jerseys, minus a couple shades of blue. The Kraken logo goes away, with the Space Needle anchor anchoring itself to the chest. 

Legacy: Kept the same one as the Pilots, no reason to change it up, except for who's on the jersey, TJ Oshie, whom, I firmly believe will either get expansion drafted or be part of a deal to not expansion draft someone else. 

3LAOSeh.png

Reverse Retro - A Reverse Reverse Retro? Took the Breakers design in Pilots colors and flipped it around to the Kraken colors, which was the original plan all along. 

Well that completes the list of teams, All Star Game and the Outdoor Games will be coming in the near future. But until then, C&C welcomed as always!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

Dead week hits differently when you're about to graduate college. 

With the majority of the last assignments I have to get done behind me, I can get back to wrapping up this series with the events the pandemic cost us this past year, leading off with the now 2022 Winter Classic:

zLA78TF.png

Minnesota Wild - The Minneapolis Millers rise from the dead to give the Wild their first Winter Classic look. Most of the looks here come from the 1930's with the stripes on the sleeves coming from around the 1929-1931 days.  I don't know the validity of this site, but these are really the basis for these uniforms. I wanted to include a pants stripe from the later days of the Millers existence but ultimately, I think the look functions a lot better without striped pants. I borrowed the canvas style gloves from the State of Hockey alternates. The socks, a bit of a deviation, come from a photo dated around 1937 with some changes here and there. 

St. Louis Blues - Just five years removed from their first Winter Classic appearance, this time a road venture for them, I took their unused uniforms and told them "now kith". No vintage white this time around, letting Minnesota use that, even if it is a part of their color scheme. White jersey, skinny stripes in pairs around the sleeves, yokeless shoulders, with a single skinny stripe, which is also found down the side of the pants. Double skinnies around the hem line as well, and on the socks. 

C&C welcome! Stadium Series up next!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

On 4/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, colinturner95 said:

OZANAM9.png

Since I did a similar thing with the Lightning, I reworked their Reverse Retro instead, since I'm not as big on it like I am the Caps RR. I reworked the old EHL's Jacksonville/Florida Rockets with the Lightning colors. While they got their start in Jacksonville, they ended up playing a lot of games in St. Petersburg. 

Dude that’s sick, we had literally the exact same idea except I was thinking a winter classic. I dig the current logo on the sleeves in your version.

32 minutes ago, Midwest_surfer said:

Dude that’s sick, we had literally the exact same idea except I was thinking a winter classic. I dig the current logo on the sleeves in your version.

Great minds think alike! It's certainly a unique jersey, maybe one day they'll actually give it a shot if the Reverse Retro program sticks around 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the looks for the Winter Classic, I’m just disappointed that it’s another Wild Winter Classic concept based off Minneapolis history. The St. Paul AC had a rich history and the Wild play in St. Paul too. I’d love too see a mix of both the Twin Cities in the inspiration. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I like the looks for the Winter Classic, I’m just disappointed that it’s another Wild Winter Classic concept based off Minneapolis history. The St. Paul AC had a rich history and the Wild play in St. Paul too. I’d love too see a mix of both the Twin Cities in the inspiration. 

St. Paul's most recognisable jersey is from 1925, where it's just a barber pole design. I see where you coming from but I guess they can change the red to the green used in the Wild's colour scheme.

College is now in the rear view mirror and now it's time to get a real job and join the real world I guess. But until then, I've got a concept for you all. 

E8npd0Y.png

While the Winter Classic reminds us of where the game has come from, the Stadium Series gives us a chance to try something new. With Carolina being the only confirmed team so far, I thought it made sense to pit them against the Lightning, get a little Bolts vs Canes action in an outdoor matchup. To that end, both uniforms make use of elements of the teams logos in varying ways. Lets dive in: 

Carolina Hurricanes - Inspired by the sweeping forms of the primary logo as well as the sweeping destruction a hurricane can bring, two big swooping stripes mimic the color blocking of the primary logo, starting on the hemline and going up onto the sleeves and ending on the backs of the sleeves. The socks do something similar as well, with an asymmetrical design between the right and left socks. Pants don't change too much, with the exception coming with the new NC design from the new state flag patch now the logo there.

Tampa Bay Lightning -  Big, bold and brash. This was one of many ideas I've had over the years for new Lightning jerseys and finally get the chance to use them. With big lightning bolts coming off the sleeves and meeting in the middle a la a chest stripe. Brought back the old state logo with the new bolt to the chest for the logo. The bolts found throughout the uniform have the dot matrix pattern I used on the Lightning's alternate uniform. 

C&C welcome! I currently have plans for one more set of jerseys, the All-Star game and I'm mulling over something else to wrap this series up. 

On 5/6/2021 at 11:39 PM, chcarlson23 said:

On 5/7/2021 at 2:57 AM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

St. Paul's most recognisable jersey is from 1925, where it's just a barber pole design. I see where you coming from but I guess they can change the red to the green used in the Wild's colour scheme.

I have to agree with Macbeth on this one. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Hey y'all, just wanted to let you know I do have plans to get the All-Star Game done. Life is just a touch busy at the moment, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with the designs for that yet. Don't worry, I'm still gonna get it done!

AmPJ0Ty.png 

After some debate with me, myself and my demons, I have decided that the All-Star Game will conclude this series. If you were interested in what I was planning along with it, I had a further NHL expansion in the works, but I kept getting hung up on the divisions and so I decided to leave that for another day and thread. 

ifmXlWr.png

Atlantic - Metro: Keeping in theme with the host team and the four division 3-on-3 format, the two Eastern teams make use of the more current Panthers colors, save for the use of brighter yellow. I miss when the All-Star jerseys were just a little bit more gaudy, as crazy as that sounds. So the jerseys use chest stripes and single color arm stripes, akin to the Panthers current jerseys, and under the sleeve stripes, are a pattern of stars. Instead of recoloring team logos, I repurpose my NHL Shield from my previous NHL series as the main logo. My poor attempt at an All-Star Game logo on one shoulder, NHL team logo of the player on the other.  All four teams use the same navy equipment. 

dDcq2qF.png

Central - Pacific: In contrast to the East teams, the West Division teams make use of the apparently-maligned double blue alternate colors, with red minimized to either the stars on the sleeves and socks or just the logo. Beyond that, the layout is pretty much the same as the East. 

C&C welcome! 

It was a lot smaller than the last thread I did, but thank you all for following along on this ride! 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• colinturner95 changed the title to NHL by Nike: All-Star Weekend

I like these. It is based on the hosting team yet still shows the NHL and the players respective teams. You might want to try swapping the placement of the numbers and the secondary logos just give it just that little bit more of connection to the Panthers jerseys. 

ZUH86xc.png

19 hours ago, johne9109 said:

I like these. It is based on the hosting team yet still shows the NHL and the players respective teams. You might want to try swapping the placement of the numbers and the secondary logos just give it just that little bit more of connection to the Panthers jerseys. 

v6CyeFy.png

P6XCLku.png

That's actually a great idea. 

17 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

Well if this truly is the end, might as well go out with a bang. However this was more of a Nuclear explosion than a small bang, Well, to be fair this whole set has been fireworks but I digress 

If I can solve the divisions issues I've been struggling with, then this might not be the end. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived