CFL Expansion

Leafs4Prime Minister

If they have kept a team or two in the US, Los Angeles. 'Nuf said.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

One team in the Atlantic provinces. They aren't rich enough to afford more than that. Get Scotiabank to build you a nice park, call yourselves the Schooners, and be as loud and proud of their initial crapulence as those poor misled "Rider Priders" are of theirs.

A team in Quebec City might work, but I don't think a team in Saskatoon or Victoria would fly. The people there who care are already big into the 'Riders or Lions.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

If they have kept a team or two in the US, Los Angeles. 'Nuf said.

Wow, I am so happy you're back.

Anyway, on to realistic possiblities...Halifax would of course be nice. A stadium, though, is of course the problem. I'd say, if we could get the Irvings or someone to build it.

I think the Soccer stadium they've built in Columbus is the perfect model for a CFL stadium: About 25,000 bench seats, nice environment, about 30mil Canadian to build. Maybe they could use the scoreboard hidden in Dartmouth? :P

If they go beyond that...I'd say Kelowna and Quebec to each division.

I agree with putting a franchise in Halifax, but as for Quebec City, or Saskatoon, or Victoria; they'd never fly. I think that London, Ontario's fastest growing city would be a great place for a football team, or even Windsor - Detroit Junior. Halifax for sure should get a club, but i don't think the CFL should go beyond 10 teams for now. There isn't enough fan support around some of the current clubs to be able to support more expansion. Hamilton is just now starting to make a rebound because of the excellent ownership just installed, and the Argos are also making a comeback, and with the new field going in near the ex, they'll be able to sell out more games. As for Halifax, it seems like a great idea because there are no professional sports teams other than the major junior hockey teams out there. Just like in Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, Halifax would flourish due to no other competition from other sports. Also, Halifax would make it a truly Canadian game, stretching from sea to sea. :flagcanada:

3JymF.png

How about PEI?

Prince Edward Island? Home to 100,000 people, approximentaly 0 football teams of ANY ilk, no college foundation, no stadium plans even under consideration, a history of pro sports that begins and ends with minor league/junior hockey, very small hotel accomidations, with the only way to get on the island by paying $30 to cross the bridge or use the ferry?

Great idea. You should be comissioner.

I always wondered why the CFL never had a team in the Maritimes. It would have a fan base from NS, PEI, NB and Nfld ... maybe even Labrador and Gaspé ... a regional team.

Halifax makes the most sense, although you could have St. John's or Saint John even. (I never can tell them apart.)

(Then again, why not Yellowknife?)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

One team in the Atlantic provinces. They aren't rich enough to afford more than that. Get Scotiabank to build you a nice park, call yourselves the Schooners, and be as loud and proud of their initial crapulence as those poor misled "Rider Priders" are of theirs.

A team in Quebec City might work, but I don't think a team in Saskatoon or Victoria would fly. The people there who care are already big into the 'Riders or Lions.

I tend to agree...

Even if further expansion is possible & feasible--take it slowly--add Halifax, as they were supposed to at one time, call them the Atlantic Schooners (or whatevers)-even up the divisions--give it time to take hold, then investigate other possibilities...

BTW there was this discussion on another board I will not name--and many of the same things were said--some almost identically---I'm wondering if some of you post/posted there under different names?

You don't have to say so--just an observation...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Three new teams in my opinion:

Halifax (Stadium shared with St. Mary's University)

Quebec City (Stadium shared with Laval University)

London, Ont. (Stadium shared with Western Ontario University)

Put London in the West, Halifax and Quebec City in the east and you have two 6 team confrences. This plan works well because the three stadiums are shared with three of the most succesful college teams in the country, so that

a) the CFL isn't footing the whole bill and

B) even if the teams go under the stadium will still be used

Then I think that would be the end of the road for the CFL, Saskatoon and Victoria would never work at all because the cities are two small and the football fans in those two cities already have teams to root for, and i doubt they will give up that team. Also, one team is about all the Atlantic can handle.

Put London in the West, Halifax and Quebec City in the east and you have two 6 team confrences. This plan works well because the three stadiums are shared with three of the most succesful college teams in the country, so that

Then I think that would be the end of the road for the CFL, Saskatoon and Victoria would never work at all because the cities are two small and the football fans in those two cities already have teams to root for, and i doubt they will give up that team. Also, one team is about all the Atlantic can handle.

Huskie Stadium holds about 3 thousand people and has about 0 room for expansion.

Huskie Stadium holds about 3 thousand people and has about 0 room for expansion.

I just noticed this

http://www.smuhuskies.ca/master_stadium.htm

I recall a few years back Halifax/dartmouth were thinking abour putting a bid in for a team. The name I remember being bounced back and forth was Acadian Admirals or Corvettes. I also remember a concept pic for the Corevette logo that looked really kick-ass. Dark blue, light blue, and red colour scheme of the front perspective view of a warship in a storm. Looked insprational. Too bad nothing came of it.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

I just noticed this

http://www.smuhuskies.ca/master_stadium.htm

I stand corrected. I was just going on visual idea of expansion

Why not just bring back the Ottawa Roughriders?

'Cause with the Renegades and all, I don't think Ottawa could support two teams. :P

PS-Not trying to be OCD, but just for information purposes, Ottawa's old team was the Rough Riders, not to be confused with Roughriders. I remember them wearing "RR" helmets for a few years, actually...

Why not just bring back the Ottawa Roughriders?

'Cause with the Renegades and all, I don't think Ottawa could support two teams. :P

PS-Not trying to be OCD, but just for information purposes, Ottawa's old team was the Rough Riders, not to be confused with Roughriders. I remember them wearing "RR" helmets for a few years, actually...

I also suggest splitting the Hamilton Tiger-Cats into two (like they were before) and add the Montreal Concordes :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived