'The Hockey News' future NHL expansion article

This is a longshot and I've already scoured google, but does anyone remember a 'The Hockey News' edition from approximately 1994-95 that sort of predicted future NHL expansion teams? I remember it was like a 2 page article with a little map and logos and everything. I want to say there were 4-6 expansion teams. I remember the Portland Rainmen, there was a Houston team, and I want to say a Nashville team as well. 

I really wish I would've kept all my old magazines. 

sig.png

Funny you mention this... I have been on a similar quest to find this but my memory is much foggier about it than yours so I've had absolutely zero leads. I didn't remember any team names or locations but it's engrained in my mind that one of the logos featured pink which I thought was such a radical idea at that time. Other than that, I didn't really have anything to help with my searching so I'll definitely be following this thread. Fingers crossed somebody has some more info!

Think I might have some pages of that one ya mentioned.. let me see if I can dig them out of a box or so.. hopefully I can find these and scan the pages and show in here if possible..

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

You might have seen Oklahoma City in there as well. They were the last team cut in that round of expansion. At the time the CHL Blazers were selling out with 13,479 fans most nights, and among the bid groups that round were the only one to start with a fully funded arena. But the bid failed on a couple of points. The league didn't like their small TV market. The bid group tried to argue it was going to include Tulsa, Wichita, and several other smaller markets (effectively forming a Fox/Bally regional network-sized market like we see today). The bid group also tried to hold a mid-week, midday rally downtown, and frankly it flopped when only a few hundred supporters showed up. The Blazers staff did a great job with their propaganda campaign, convincing fans that the NHL was too expensive.

On 5/4/2021 at 12:49 PM, sitboaf said:

Wasn't those. Was definitely mid-90's, when I was 11 or 12. My mom literally keeps everything, but must have tossed these. 

sig.png

• 1 month later...

Archived