Other Options for special MLB games?

TBGKon

On 8/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, dont care said:

The last thing I want is communities to build these temporary stadiums for 1 off games and they just decay and become monuments of American gluttony and hubris.   

MLB built and planned the stadiums for the temporary games at Fort Bragg in 2016 and Field of Dreams.  The local communities don't have much to do with the construction to my understanding.

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/03/10/10749/mlb-to-build-temporary-stadium-at-fort-bragg-to-honor-mlbs-co-branding-connection-with-military/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/field-of-dreams-game-was-great-now-mlb-should-expand-on-build-a-stadium-concept-in-more-locations/1kk3sphqjqeu0zqna1ta4zk8z

I think @Ferdinand Cesarano might want to see this too...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

MLB built and planned the stadiums for the temporary games at Fort Bragg in 2016 and Field of Dreams.  The local communities don't have much to do with the construction to my understanding.

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/03/10/10749/mlb-to-build-temporary-stadium-at-fort-bragg-to-honor-mlbs-co-branding-connection-with-military/

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/field-of-dreams-game-was-great-now-mlb-should-expand-on-build-a-stadium-concept-in-more-locations/1kk3sphqjqeu0zqna1ta4zk8z

The field a fort Bragg is a dump now, and it’s only been 5 years, same will happen to this field of dreams. I don’t want anyone building these fields just for one game and you can then watch them decay in the next couple years.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

The field a fort Bragg is a dump now, and it’s only been 5 years, same will happen to this field of dreams. I don’t want anyone building these fields just for one game and you can then watch them decay in the next couple years.

Pretty sure Field of Dreams site is a location for youth tournaments and such already, and they already upkeep the movie set field.  Your point is moot here.

As for Fort Bragg, once MLB left the upkeep was on the US Army, just like any recreational field they provide those who are stationed there.  I am not sayig that they are doing the right thing, but you cannot fault MLB for something that they don't have any control over.

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

From the article:

It’s the second time MLB has built a stadium from scratch, for one specific game. 

After the contest, the grandstands were dismantled, leaving a multipurpose field on the grounds....

Now, MLB, it’s time to expand this idea. 

But instead of just bathing in the nostalgia of a favorite baseball movie . . . MLB should use the idea to leave a legacy. Find locations of actual historical significance, build a ballpark and throw a celebration. Then, after the crowds leave and the stands are taken down, let the field live on as a testing ground for the next generation of potential major league stars. 

How cool would it be for high school players (and little leaguers, with field size adjustments that wouldn’t be impossible) to step up to the same plate on a field that opened with big-leaguers digging into that same dirt? To roam the outfield, diving on that same grass? 

Atsa nice!

And the suggestion in the article of the Dominican Republic was a particularly good one.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

MLB has two franchises on the brink of moving because of stadium situations. I'm sure there are plenty of others getting in line as their leases are coming up (Royals' downtown stadium coming in a few years).  The realistic odds MLB starts building permanent ballparks (to whatever extent you want to want to go with 'ballparks') as gifts to communities across the US and perhaps other countries flies in the face of over a 100 years of holding up municipalities to pay for their playing fields.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, schlim said:

MLB has two franchises on the brink of moving because of stadium situations. I'm sure there are plenty of others getting in line as their leases are coming up (Royals' downtown stadium coming in a few years).  The realistic odds MLB starts building permanent ballparks (to whatever extent you want to want to go with 'ballparks') as gifts to communities across the US and perhaps other countries flies in the face of over a 100 years of holding up municipalities to pay for their playing fields.

Didn't the Royals just finish an extensive renovation of Kaufmann a few years ago? 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Didn't the Royals just finish an extensive renovation of Kaufmann a few years ago? 

Yeah, the renovations were finished in 2010 but the lease expires in 2031. The Chiefs are all but guaranteed  to renew their lease (it’s become the AFC’s Lambeau IMO, especially with the Bills getting a new stadium so I don’t see them leaving), but the Royals are looking at a downtown stadium. Right now, they’re looking at sites but new ownership is being proactive about the issue. 

22 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Yeah, the renovations were finished in 2010 but the lease expires in 2031. The Chiefs are all but guaranteed  to renew their lease (it’s become the AFC’s Lambeau IMO, especially with the Bills getting a new stadium so I don’t see them leaving), but the Royals are looking at a downtown stadium. Right now, they’re looking at sites but new ownership is being proactive about the issue. 

Shouldn't happen. Kaufmann is one of the only nice parks built between 1923 and 1993. And it still stands up today. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Shouldn't happen. Kaufmann is one of the only nice parks built between 1923 and 1993. And it still stands up today. 

Yeah. Frankly, I agree with you and Kansas City has far more pressing issues than giving a billionaire a free palace. So, so many issues. 

Therefore, we’re going to have a Hallmark Stadium in downtown. Just how it works. 

Archived