Infrared41's Best And Worst Presented by BBTV - 2021 Week 8

BBTV

Standard disclaimer: This thread is for the best and worst uniform matchups for any particular week.  These are simply my opinions, you're welcome (and encouraged!) to disagree. 

• Usually, the color matchup is the biggest factor.  While I like both the Raiders and Panthers uniforms, Raiders in standard road vs Carolina in standard home probably isn't going to win just due to similarity.  Same with Seahawks in mono-navy against Patriots in their standard road.  
  • I'm neither a modernist nor traditionalist.  I think that things that look good to me look good, and things that look bad look bad.  There's modern uniforms I love, and some that I hate.  A uniform design could ruin even a spectacular color matchup - or maybe it won't.  It's unlikely that the Titans or Cardinals will ever show up on the 'best' list, regardless of matchup.  But maybe they will.  I also don't automatically penalize teams for wearing monochrome - It's likely that the mono-navy Seahawks will find their way to the best list on occasion, however the Chiefs in all red won't.
  • Lighting and weather play a role too.  Some matchups just look better in bright natural light, some look great in snow, and even the best one might look crappy in a dome under 5,000 kelvin light.
  • Going to try and do 3+2 (three best, 2 worst) but in reality, I'll just do whatever I want.  Also, I rarely watch games that aren't the Eagles, so I'm going mostly by watching highlights or google searching for images of the games.

Week 8: Smilar to last week, where after #1, the best was an open field.  Not many lead-pipe locks this week.   LET'S F'n GO!!!

BEST

1. Steelers at Browns

The second the equipment manager hung the orange pants in the Browns' locker room, this one was slated into the #1 spot.  Just a gorgeous game full of color.  I've probably favored orange and yellow a little too much on these lists, but at least for this week, that's not going to stop.  In fact, this game gets two photos.

dc3e90129e124e6cb3f5aaf7221ce952.jpg?res

kfcczmv6efgc9fzu1y7t.jpg

2. 49ers at Bears

The 49ers red and gold against the Bears' navy really looked good.  I really don't always gravitate to the old-school traditional uniforms, but like I say in the opening, I think things that look good to me look good, and this looks good to me so it looks good to me.

jkde964gcrkdzhzfpznb.jpg

3. Saints at Bucs

This probably deserved only an honorable mention because the Saints wore white pants instead of gold, but in an otherwise mediocre week, it gets the nod.  Had the Saints been in their normal uniforms with their gold pants, this one would have been a  lock.

e7x29npmkxbsnuip38kv.jpg

Honorable Mention

Bills at Dolphins

Classic AFC-E matchup.  Might have made the best list had the Bills been in blue pants, or if the Dolphins were in their throwbacks.  The version of aqua they currently wear doesn't work for me, but this matchup still deserved some recognition.

mjlbwkllg50j7lfojpgi.jpg

What could have been

Rams at Texans

Had the Rams been in their WHITE tops, this is a really good looking matchup between teams with contemporary uniforms.  Instead, they go with bone, which will never make the 'best' list.  This photo makes the tops almost look white, and shows how it could have looked.

oztwhslq6akxi8pmo9sd.jpg

Eagles at Lions

Under natural light this is a much better looking game.  Sadly, the soulless lights of Ford Field and the Lions silly sleeve wordmarks keep this one from getting even an HM.

x4b9wjx7lsouwlmglbwl.jpg

Worst

1. Bengals at Jets

The Jets in all black look like either an Arena or small-time college team, and the Bengals in all white are too imbalanced.  Had the Bengals worn black pants, I'm not sure if it would have saved it from the 'worst' list, but it definitely wouldn't have been #1.

mxol4dn2sozgesmcgbgt.jpg

1. Patriots at Chargers

Too much navy.  I kinda like the Chargers navy uniform in a vacuum, but once it hits the field - especially against another navy-clad team - it gets a spot on the 'worst' list.

rblxyljjzs2xumzdvdkr.jpg

GO!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good stuff.  IMO I thought the Vikings-Cowboys was better looking than bears-niners.

Here is my list

Good: Saints-Bucs. (Please saints make this uniform your road and change your home set accordingly)

Browns-Steelers. (Browns in orange pants always look awesome especially against the Steelers)

Vikings-Cowboys. (Can’t hate the cowboys unis even with their mismatched pants and the Vikings uniforms are still solid)

Worst:

Jets-Bengals. (I really wish the bengals had more orange on their away uniform it looks empty and the jets still look like an arena team)

Titans-Colts. (I only put this here cuz I really don’t like the Titans uniforms. They look like sun belt rejects.)

Seahawks-Jaguars. (The Seahawks awful monochrome uniforms already look bad, they look even worse with the Jaguars vanilla uniforms).

10 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

Good stuff.  IMO I thought the Vikings-Cowboys was better looking than bears-niners.

While I don't agree with that, I'll confess that for whatever reason, I either overlooked Vikings vs Cowboys, or they weren't included in the usual week-by-week sources I use for images.

I think it would have done a lot better under bright daylight, but was probably worth an honorable mention.  I wouldn't have put it in my top 3 or expanded the list for it.

USATSI_17071594.jpg?resize=1024,683

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Personally, I like the Jets black uniforms. However, I do think the team needs to learn how to mix-and-match its elements with the other primary sets. The game against Cincinnati would’ve looked a lot better if the Jets had worn green socks or even white pants.

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

3. Giants - Chiefs

I thought I was going to like this game a lot more than I actually did.   Would have been better had the Giants still had gray pants.  It also made me think that adding blue pants to their road set wouldn't be the worst idea ever, except that it would open the door for the inevitable mono-blue, which would be the worst idea ever.

44 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I thought I was going to like this game a lot more than I actually did.   Would have been better had the Giants still had gray pants.  It also made me think that adding blue pants to their road set wouldn't be the worst idea ever, except that it would open the door for the inevitable mono-blue, which would be the worst idea ever.

Eh, I’m not so sure a team like the Giants would fall into the monocolor rabbit hole. There’s no rule stating a team absolutely has to wear uniform elements of the same color at the same time. I think the Giants are fully capable of restraining themselves.

22 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Eh, I’m not so sure a team like the Giants would fall into the monocolor rabbit hole. There’s no rule stating a team absolutely has to wear uniform elements of the same color at the same time. I think the Giants are fully capable of restraining themselves.

The colts have shown that to be a lie *insert Maury meme*

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I agree that it's better with gray pants, but I still really liked the match up.

BB52Big.jpg

11 hours ago, dont care said:

The colts have shown that to be a lie *insert Maury meme*

Even then, the Colts only ever wear it once a season. They wisely haven’t made it their default home set. Highly doubtful the Giants would go Seahawks on us and wear all blue full-time

Fantastic list.

The best list is pretty much perfect, Steelers-Browns and 49ers-Bears both exude classic autumn football, and the Saints wearing Color Rush really brought their matchup with the Bucs up a few notches, as well.

Although I’ve kind of waned on the Dolphins current shade of aqua, that picture makes it look really good. Still would have preferred they wear the throwbacks, though.

For the worst list, I agree with @DiePerske that Patriots-Chargers would be my #1 worst. I actually really like the Chargers navy uniform (used sparingly), but this is a game where the Patriots could really use gray pants. As for Bengals-Jets, I honestly like the Jets’ black alternate. I just wish the green was brighter. Although the white-out isn’t the Bengals’ best road option in my opinion, it probably was the best option for this game. Orange or even white socks would have helped too. Also, Titans-Colts would make my worst list, as there was just too much white, as would Jaguars-Seahawks for being too dark.

Overall, my personal list would be:

Best

1. Steelers at Browns

1. 49ers at Bears

3. Bucs at Saints

Honorable Mentions

1. Eagles at Lions

2. Dolphins at Bills

3. Cowboys at Vikings

4. Bengals at Jets

Worst

1.  Patriots at Chargers