2023 World Baseball Classic

raysox

It always bugs me during international sporting events when teams from places like China, Japan, Korea, Israel, etc has roman script on their uniforms. I can understand jerseys numbers for all teams being in Arabic numerals, but I don't like seeing the country and player names in English. Is it just me?

I would have loved seeing 日本 instead of "JAPAN" on their jerseys last night. Let them truly represent their home countries!

• Like 5

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

It always bugs me during international sporting events when teams from places like China, Japan, Korea, Israel, etc has roman script on their uniforms. I can understand jerseys numbers for all teams being in Arabic numerals, but I don't like seeing the country and player names in English. Is it just me?

I would have loved seeing 日本 instead of "JAPAN" on their jerseys last night. Let them truly represent their home countries!

That's been the tradition for those teams to use English lettering.  That's why it doesn't bug me too much.

• Like 5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

it's also, as @MJWalker45 said, just how it's done.

In NPB, Japanese teams use romaji  for player names and team names on their jerseys. My own Yokohama DeNA Baystars have the front script in the romaji and player names also using romaji. It's also found in Japan on roadsides and the such, so it's not exactly uncommon.

It's also worth mentioning that the names ARE in Japanese, just written using latin alphabet(aka romaji)

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

6 hours ago, AnPheitseog said:

it's also, as @MJWalker45 said, just how it's done.

In NPB, Japanese teams use romaji  for player names and team names on their jerseys. My own Yokohama DeNA Baystars have the front script in the romaji and player names also using romaji. It's also found in Japan on roadsides and the such, so it's not exactly uncommon.

It's also worth mentioning that the names ARE in Japanese, just written using latin alphabet(aka romaji)

That's not romaji - romaji is for "spelling out" Japanese words using the Latin alphabet (i.e. 野球 being written as yakyuu). What NPB teams use is just, well, English. If, for example, the BayStars were to use romaji, the front would read Beisutaazu. They also don't use romaji for nameplates because foreign players' names are spelled "correctly" and not as they would be if they were read using Japanese syllables.

I'm actually glad that Japan, Korea, China, et al. use English lettering because I think it feels up space much better than writing them in their native languages would. Those East Asian languages are very short and honestly I don't think a jersey with a massive 日 on one side and 本 on the other would look as good as their current jerseys do (or good at all, even).

• Like 5
  • Meh 1

the user formerly known as cdclt