2023 World Baseball Classic

raysox

From what I’ve seen so far, the WBC uniforms have really taken a nosedive this year. Most uniforms look either cheap or over-designed. The Netherlands set (aside from the hat) looked like a rushed rec-league set last night, Canada has some serious sizing problems with the wordmark and numbers, Puerto Rico’s massive El Morro scene on the front of the jersey looks like something you’d buy for cheap on Amazon, Cuba’s gradient looked goofy…it keeps going and it’s pretty rough across the whole WBC.

I honestly would take the single manufactured sets of past WBC’s again in a heartbeat. I could do away with the contrasted armpits of past templates of course, but at least the composition and actual execution of the uniform looked more professional than most teams do now. They weren’t perfect, mind you, but they did look better in my opinion.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

Chris has shared the Team Canada uniforms.

Oof, that is not good. The only positive thing I can say about the jersey is that it's just red & white with no black, Unfortunately the lack of black in the jersey just makes the awful cap logo stand out even more.

• Like 3

I don’t know how anybody received a proof sample of that Canada uniform and approved the size of that wordmark and number with a straight face. That passed through rounds of people and final approvals to get to production. I’m honestly floored as to how that could have happened.

• Like 8

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

So...did New Era just refuse to do any contrast bills for this tornament? The US doesn't have the red bill cap (by far the better one), and the Aussies are wearing helmets with a yellow bill, while the Netherlands is wearing helmets with orange bills. Both teams have solid caps, but the helmets are better. What gives?

• Like 2

Anubis.png

2 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

So...did New Era just refuse to do any contrast bills for this tornament? The US doesn't have the red bill cap (by far the better one), and the Aussies are wearing helmets with a yellow bill, while the Netherlands is wearing helmets with orange bills. Both teams have solid caps, but the helmets are better. What gives?

mlbshop.com has the DR, Mexico, and Panama with contrasting bills

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

7 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Do we know that New Era and/or UA had anything to do with the designs?  Nobody has to use their in-house design team, just like MLB teams don't have to use Nike's people.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As someone who has been in on the design process of Under Armour uniforms (via a supplier) at a mid-major college baseball program, UA's standard size for front logos is pretty limiting, especially compared to Nike or Adidas. Some premier UA programs, such as Auburn and Maryland, seem to be able to get more substantial logo sizes, but that's something that was not available to us.

Canada's uniform also seem very catalog-y design wise – pretty much straight from the new "Thief Faux" jersey option. That makes me wonder if Team Canada didn't work directly with UA to design their uniforms and instead used an UA partner, thus getting a "generic" uniform.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

So...did New Era just refuse to do any contrast bills for this tornament? The US doesn't have the red bill cap (by far the better one),

The all-blue USA cap is fine, IMO. A better cap logo would help out a lot. I feel like the current logo makes the red bill cap the lesser cap whereas, with a better logo, I could see an argument for a red bill. But, even then, all-blue just feels right to me. You don't need much red for a US (or patriotically-themed) team.

• Like 3

oBIgzrL.png